1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

High School vs Travel Ball - my kids aint thinkin

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by cheeze105, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawgswood

Dawgswood Full Access Member

Wow! If I was the HS coach and any player gave me their TB schedule I'd just hand it back to them and say you now have all the time you need for TB as you are no longer on the team. You gotta be kiddin!

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

The HS program will always be "It is what it is" until one gets a coach that will commit to a program. With that commitment is a standard that demands an equal commitment from its players. It may take awhile to turn the program around, but it will turn around. Anybody can coach, but it takes a commitment to build a program.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to anybody, but I would never ask a player to choose....lord, that's inviting the players to make the rules and run the team. If you want to play for me? C'mon, I will lead you. If you're not sure if you want to play for me? Run...as fast as you can because I don't want you. Give me 9 players that will commit to me that they are willing to work hard, learn the game and give me all they have then........I already have you beat! Maybe not the score (this time), but by character. And later on they will learn how to beat you by the score.

3. Crazecoach

Crazecoach For HIS Glory...

Braves,

As always you have my respect! I do hope things change at our school, not for my DD, but for the community the players and the program as a whole. It needs to start in Rec leagues and middle school, then continue to the high school. We are working on some summer camps this year and some other things. If she went to CC, Butler, Hopewell, AC, or other quality programs her commitment would be much different. Having said that, she did talk with the coach before tryouts and asked if TB would be a problem, the answer was NO, "you will get more out of playing there than watching me teach here. We do have four TB players(underclassmen) in key spots on the field. The new coach even wants to come out and watch some of our games/ tournaments. We have her support and do not feel bad about missing "parents day". I feel it will be rescheduled due to conflicts with other parents and players. This will be the third time it has moved.

4. betterbatter

betterbatter Full Access Member

If the HS program is mediocre and half hearted, than perhaps a practice schedule with a decent TB program should be worked out along with the HS schedule.

BUT, if the HS program is first class, then the practice routine will be very well planned and intense, leaving no reason for the athlete to do both. In this situation the HS coach should prohibit participation in TB during the HS season, even on weekends. Once the coach establishes this rule, he/she must be prepared to enforce the consequences 100%, even if it involves the best player on the team. HS athletes who train intensly need time for rest and time for study.

5. Crazecoach

Agree 100%

Well said! Our program is not in the top 25% of our conference, we won 2 games last year. Now, we do have a great coach that knows the game and truly wants to build the program. We had 15 tryout total( 2 seniors), 3 quit after the 1st day. Looking from the coaches point of view with 4 freshman looking to start, you can see where she would want TB players to help out. I was asked to help, but can only do so much. Some of the girls can't throw, catch, or hold a bat right. It will take time. I do not like the "power struggle" between some hs/tb coaches. I wish they could all work together somehow. A college coach will not come to our school to catch a game, but we may play in a tournament and have a chance to be seen.

6. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Coach, I respect what you do for your program. My comment was not directed at you, but as a concept for a winning program. It must start at the grassroots, but it takes a leader to give it direction. It ain't easy, but nothing worthwhile is.

and betterbatter....right on!

7. scowall

scowall Full Access Member

i think 3 laps outside of fence, 50 situps, 25 push ups 4 20yrd lunges should be about enough. the running part would be with helmet on and bats held over the head and held out in front....they would also practice with helmets on for 2 practices. its unfortunate that the tb programs would choose to practice at the same time or play in a tournament. it use to be no kids played travel ball until the hs season was over.......

8. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

i was thinking along these lines as far as punishment, believe me, our practices are anything but mediocre, they are focused and follow the same lines as our travel ball teams did in the past. it kills me to see this, as this year, we have more talent than in the past three years combined. my job is to get them to play as one unit and its difficult to achieve when you're interfered with by an outside source. i know my practices are more difficult than the tb team, on our field, they dont have time to socialize at all. i appreciate everyones input and i appologize for letting some steam off on this thread, i needed to be calm monday when practice occurs. one point to be made: being a tb coach doesnt always mean your team is being trained better than any hs team. its all based on your knowledge and your skills,and how good you are at reaching your players with that knowledge, its not what you say......its what they do!!!!!

9. Crazecoach

Cheese,

I wish we played for you!

10. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

JMHO

I think the majority of your travel ball coaches have no problem with their players attending their high school practices. But in reality unless you are playing for a CC or ND,etc....you aren't going to benefit from the high school program. Quality coaching is about 15 % in any surrounding state, and you are lucky to find a knowledgeable coach that could better benefit your kid than the travel ball experience..The name of the game is "EXPOSURE" !!!

:N1amenHL2:--- GURU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.