1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Hot Times Classic Fallout

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by 9s Dad, Jul 11, 2010.

1. 9s Dad

9s Dad Junior Member

We are a new showcase team and this was to be our first event...For weeks we were excited about the prospect of playing the best of the best.

While we were thrilled with the level of competition we were less than impressed that after a $500+ entry fee, $30 tournament passes, the cooler police, we got the level of umpires that we did.

While we expect that everyone will make mistakes and not every call will go your way, I'm talking about umpires that are out of shape and not able to get in position to make calls, umpires with amazingly inconsistent strike zones, umpires that feel a ball can be thrown behind a batter and "curve" across the plate for a strike, and umpires who feel that at the showcase level, they can see a "boom-boom" play at first from the grass behind the shortstop, and that from field to field, umpire to umpire, the rules varied as to what was interference, who courtesy runners could be, and when they were allowed at all.

For the funds that were paid, all our daughters deserve more than what they got.

I've read the comments about the water issues, and gate fees, and couldn't agree more with those as well. We were told to ask for water, and it eventually showed up at the end of the game.

I'm hoping the rest of the showcase events are ran better than this one and am hoping that gate fees are more reasonable.

2. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

Welcome to TBR!

This forum is awesome!

Beat you to it Cheezebuddy, lol!

Marlin

3. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

no problem fishman....welcome 9s Dad to this board rocks softball forum. seems there were a few problems in florence this weekend. suggest you contact ken bailey from sc bandits to air them out....

4. viking1

viking1 Full Access Member

The tournament was nice in itself. They got carried away with the gate fees. I am sure with all the bad press about it. It will change next year. Teams holding these tournaments have to realize that we are one big softball family and we need to look out for each other.

5. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

This might make some feel a little better about the gate fees. I've just heard that the PONY Nationals in Cary next week is going to be charging (swallow your drink) $15 per person per day!

Feel better?

6. flowtownbudman

flowtownbudman Junior Member

Your bad weekend.

Sorry for those who had a bad weekend but you better look at your tourney director more than your ball field. I understand this is one of the first times the HEAD MAN wanted a cut of the gate. Theres your $9.Volunters ran the park. The coffee comment from marlinfan1 is a bunch of bull. No police were ever called. I also understand there is never any coolers allowed by spectators to any girls softball game. The teams did not drink the water that was provided to them in the 5 gallon coolers,kids will be kids, you payed for them to be there, they wanted thier bottles not a dixie cup. I have not been through all the other postings that were put out but if the marlinfan1 and pookiesmom were all similar, then maybe the next time you come back under a different tourney name, you might be happier. That ball field goes all out for kids regardless of it being softball. This was there first one and a lot of crappy parents ruined it.I'm sure they will try it again but maybe with someone different.

7. softballphreak

I believe the comment from marlinfan1 is an experience from another time and place--not this tournament. Good Southern boy--not known to lie! Except maybe if his yankee comes out!

Most tournaments I've been to allow at least a team cooler. The best tournaments in the Raleigh area allow anyone to bring in team coolers. I've always been told to bring bottled water when going to locations considerable distances away. Helps keep the innards from acting up.

Everyone wants the best for the kids. That includes your kids, of course. The ugly shows up when people don't think that's happening. I agree they were wrong to take it out on the volunteers. That's the same thing that happens to the wait people at IHOP when it's discovered they charge too much for their coffee and tea; it's not their fault, but ...

8. PookiesMom

PookiesMom Member

I guess the good thing is the situation has drummed up alot of traffic for TBR. Seeing more new posters on this board than I have in a while.

9. scal

scal Full Access Member

I have read all the posts on both threads regarding the "Hot Times" in Florence, and I have to admit I find it a bit ironic. The stuff people are talking about regarding conduct, on both side of the fence, I have seen as the norm since we got started in softball. Only this time everyone is talking about it in the open and not just behind someone's back. Something apparently struck a nerve down there in SC with a lot of people.

Sadly, this kind of stuff has been the norm from my experience.

Unfortunately, venting on message boards and talking about woes doesn't do any good, in the end you find no one cares, but sometimes it sure does feel good to be able to let it all out.

Hope everything works out for all. Good luck.

10. softballphreak

I believe it does do good to discuss it. Sometimes a lot of improvement can be made. If no one discusses it, it's like it doesn't happen.

Sometimes there are discussions on here that have to be closed because they're not constructive. But there are positive things that can happen when people are asking for change. And this is one way to deliver that message.