1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

How can we encouage more minorities or economically disadvataged to play?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by coachevans26, Oct 26, 2004.

1. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Since this was brought up in another forum, I thought it would very appropriate to start this forum for discussion.

What are your views as to why minorities and/or those who are less fortunate don't get as involved in baseball at a young age? Is it just money? What factors do you see?

I see that if you want the best opportunity to excel, you must get exposure through showcases or travel teams. Are there travel teams / showcase teams that has sponsors to defray costs of those who legitimately can't afford the monetary costs?

What do you see as solutions to this problem? Tell me what you KNOW.

2. magnus

magnus Chump-proof

anywhere I lay my head I'm gonna call my home
    minorities being african americans? Or minorities meaning overall? It would seem, on first sight, that there aren't as many AAs in HS baseball because they just don't want to play. The sport isn't as hot as the others to young players.
    Maybe individual coaches should be more proactive about going and getting interest in players? Or is it a point where there just aren't many minorities playing at lower levels?

3. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

Couple of thoughts!

Look at the rec programs in and arouond this city! Can t speak for all yet most of them charge fees ENORMOUS ones if you ask me so immediately they are turned away due to their parent s not being able to afford it! No rec programs are gong out and reaching out to ANYONE who doesn t have the money period! They are left with no choice yet to ask! What happenes (ed) who knows ! Secondly at the middle schools most often coaches are just there to "look over" the programs no less serious about them NOT ALL I repeat but many! Whoever comes out just go from there! Additionally EVEN AT the HS levels the vast majority of coaches do not actively recruit the players "in the halls" who are minorities unfortunately! IMHO!

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

This is an interesting question and one that I believe has many layers. I agree with everything that has been said, so far.

In my opinion, youth baseball and the communities have left behind minorities in general and african americans in particular. Yes, economics play a huge factor in this, but there are so many other areas...(baseball) role models in the community, experienced coaching, developing youth programs in the community...getting the communities to support baseball.

We take for granted that our kids will be coached by someone that knows the game. That they will have a field to play on. That paying for umpire(s) is never a question.

Baseball is a sport that no matter how much physical talent one has, you must continue to practice, practice, practice and it takes years to develop the skills. I have witnessed many minorities that succeeded at the youth level...but gave it up when they hit their teens. Why is that? Is it because they don't have the parental guidance? Is it because of peer pressure? Is it because they don't have that role model or coach to encourage them in their levels of development?

I mention peer pressure. Can you imagine for a second what it has been like for Cameron Maybin to play baseball all his life with few or any teammates of color? How difficult that must have been for him. Or Mike Daniel at UNC to be the only player of color on his team? Cameron and Mike are the extraordinary individuals because let's face it, most teenagers want to be around their friends. People that share the same experiences and have the same likes? But Mike and Cameron overcame their obstacles and ignored the peer pressure to become successful in a sport, outside of the ML, is not known for color.

Just look around the HS and college campus's and noticed how few if any minorities are playing baseball. I've mentioned just a few reasons. "O" and Magnus have highlighted other strong points....but it still must be nurtured at the youth level.

It would take a special person or people committed to encourage a minority community for support, but it can happen. Mike Shildt did a marvelous job at West Charlotte...but I would love to see someone in the Charlotte area revive the Garinger and Waddell schools....but it must start at the Rec level.

Enough of my soapbox. I'd love to hear some other opinions.

Oops...before I get a call from my friend, Coach Bennie McMurray at Waddell, I was not implying that the coaches at Waddell or Garinger need to be replaced...not by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I feel Bennie McMurray is one of the best in the state. No, what I meant was the youth leagues and feeder schools must be developed for those two particular schools to improve.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  5. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

In my opinion, the answer has much more to do with economic disadvantage than it does race. If all college baseball players received a full scholarship like their counterparts in football and baseketball, many more economically disadvantaged children would be encouraged and supported as baseball players coming up; whether it's from their parents, coaches, or peers. As it is, it's a well known fact that the road to a college education (and, possibly, on to riches in the professional ranks) is fully paved for football and basketball players; while Division I baseball players settle for a small fraction of their total costs.

6. Braves

That is so true...especially about the "road to college". But I'm not sure there are many 6-10 year olds thinking about that and there are not many minorities at that age playing baseball.

Buuuuuuut....where I agree completely, Prep, is that many in the minority culture believe that basketball and football is a way out of their present circumstances and that thought works it's way down to the younger kids.

7. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

Exactly right, Braves. The 6-10 year olds aren't thinking about college when they choose what they play; but, if the adults who guide them are aware that the opportunities exist more in the realms of football and basketball, two things happen: (1) they encourage "Johnny" to play football and/or basketball at baseball's expense and (2) they build support systems like rec programs that funnel them to the greater opportunities. By the time "Johnny" is old enough to be aware of the college recruiting game, his skills are developed in football or basketball; rather than baseball.

8. Braves

...and that's a big problem. I think many would be surprised just how much better their opportunities may be in baseball vs other sports. Ask the latino kids what sport offers them better opportunities?

I hope applejack visits us to give his views

9. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

ALL......

Good points! The lack of quality role models is a key essential ingredient also! Think of the potential impact they could have also middle and HS programs need to go out and recruit African Americans into their programs! Why tell me why is it the Major Leagues are predominantly African merican so these men are coming from where ?? Evidently NOT from Charlotte and what might be the statistics statewide if not regionally? Not very optimistic I would speculate?

10. Papabear

Papabear Full Access Member

Hey Braves, you make it sound like the teams that Mike Shildt coached at West Charlotte were made up of predominantly minority players. That's not even close. Shildt's teams were made up of some pretty good players like Eric Shanks, Kevin Hill, Jason Hill, Michael Grant, Chad Nance, Joey Cress, Brad Fisher, and a few others, many of whom eventually went on to play college baseball. Linjun Javelona was one of very few minorities on the Shildt teams at WC, and he was an All-Conference second baseman. Even after the Shildt days and up until about three years ago, the players at WC were predominantly white.