1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

How can we encouage more minorities or economically disadvataged to play?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by coachevans26, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Coach May

Coach May Full Access Member

It does not cost anymore to play rec baseball than it does to sign up and play rec basketball. A couple of pairs of Air Jordans cost just as much as a bat and glove. Basketball and Football are instant gratification sports for an athletic kid. Baseball is not. Baseball is a sport that takes alot of time and patience to learn how to play. I can walk down the hall and see a 6'2 190 athletic kid and say "Come out for football son you could be a player". That kid if he is fast and athletic I can show him a where to line up and say "Go get the guy with the ball "and he can have instant success. I take that same kid and say come out for baseball and he is in real trouble. You just dont pick up baseball. It takes time and alot of work to be good at it. By the way there are a ton of AAU basketball teams. It is not cheap to travel and play. I believe that alot of minority parents push there kids towards baskeball and football. And alot of these kids identify with these sports much more than baseball. There is no doubt that many of them if they picked up the sport and an early age could be very good at it. But do they have the love of the game and the desire that it takes to work at it from a young age? Its real hard to get good at something that you do not enjoy working at. I think it has more to do with culture than money.

2. Nuff Ced

Nuff Ced Full Access Member

In an earlier reference to having coaches "recruit" these minority athletes in the hallways. Remember, baseball is not all about athleticism (though it helps). Baseball is so skill oriented that if a kid hasn't played in years an is encouraged to come out -- success is going to be limited. Have had several "athletes" in the last few years come out for a few days and figure out baseball ain't that easy (those same kids run, tackle, and block real good). I think the posters here have it right -- to encourage "minority" student-athletes to participate in baseball, requires significant investing. Got a feeling Cameron Maybin didn't just pick up a bat his 9th grade year. Just an opinion from my little eastern corner of the world.

3. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

so true! experiencing the same thing in softball as well!

hows it going down in the eastern corner of the state?? we heading East in early March for some ball/evaluations/consultations.......where you at in ENC?

4. nostradumass

nostradumass Get back in your closet

In the USA to incourage minorities to do something means to pay for it. I for one am tired of it. Anyone who can wear $150+ shoes to school dosent need my tax paid lunch. I say to play Baseball you need parents that care and thats the biggest problem.

5. Applejack

Applejack ALL WINTER TAN

Talk that noise all you want bro. Say it until you believe it yourself.
    I'm a minority and I never had free or reduced lunch while in school.
    I'm sure you speak from vast experience though.

6. nostradumass

Nothing I said is not true Bro thats how we do things (spend money). Im saying programs get abused I said ANYONE not just minorites .

7. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

Red ... AJ ... Play Nice.

We are not going down this road. This isn't a political forum.

8. Applejack

Applejack ALL WINTER TAN

"In the USA to incourage minorities to do something means to pay for it."

I see minorities, not anyone.

9. Applejack

Applejack ALL WINTER TAN

NC I'm cool. This is pertaining to the subject at hand.
    Just a little harmless banter.

10. nostradumass

Ill put myself in timeout. :dunce: