1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

How do you maintain a successful BB program

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Is it simply the coach or the feeder program? What do you consider to be a successful program?

I'm looking for all thoughts and direction this thread may go

2. BackwardsK

BackwardsK Junior Member

We need more information for your criteria, what do you consider succesful? W's and L's or turning out good citizens that as a coach you are proud to say "10 yrs ago I coached that kid"?

3. Braves

That's up to each person, but I imagine if it's about just turning out good citizens that coach won't be around very long. I imagine will receive a number of subtopics--middle schools, AAU, Travel teams and the coaches that take the time to follow those kids.

4. OurPasttime713

OurPasttime713 Full Access Member

There are lots of different criteria to determine what a good program is. Here are mine:

1) One that wins consistently. They don't have to win State Championships, but they need to compete at a high level on a year-to-year basis. Having the ability to reload rather than rebuild.

2) They have to have a solid coach who knows the game and will work hard for his players. Teaching them lessons on and off the field. Also a coach who will WORK for his players and push hard to get them to a college that fits their skill-set.

3) They have a nice ball park. Nobody wants to play at some dump. It doesn't have to be super high-quality, but c'mon, the field should be playable.

4) They have "street-cred." Random people from the area who aren't inside the program have a strong opinion about the program and are aware that "School X is a baseball school." Having the respect of your community and other communities nearby.

5) There are good feeder programs and youth leagues in the area. It's hard to teach kids how to play ball from the time they're a freshman to the time they're a senior. The kids have to have some talent before they get there. Teams that win tend to be from areas with solid Little League, AAU, and Legion programs.

6) They do things the right way. They don't try to stack their team, but they make it work with the cards they are dealt and they don't go out encouraging kids to transfer in. This creates a real community feel for the team, which is something that can never be replaced otherwise. That way, if you lose, at least you went down together with your brothers who you've been playing with for ages. If you win, same thing. You EARNED your championships rather than going out and winning with a glorified showcase team with players who went to 10 different middle schools on it.

7) Fans. Having lots of fans proves that the sport is important to the community. A huge crowd on hand can really intimidate the opposition and light a charge into the home team

That's just a few. I'm sure other people have plenty more to add that I forgot.

Personally, I have absolutely no connection to South Caldwell at all. I've only seen them play twice ('06 semifinal game 3 against North Forsyth, '07 playoff game at Butler). However, in my view, South Caldwell is the best baseball program in our state, using my criteria.

5. reporter

reporter Full Access Member

I know some people don't like it but if you want to have a good program in any sport year in year out you better be able to recuit. Every good program does it whether they will admit it or not. when they see a good young talent at the camps or at some summer league games head and assistant coaches along with current players start talking to them about coming to "their" school. I really don't have a problem with it as it gives the kid a opportunity to play at a higher level when the go to one of the better programs

6. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

Feeder program

Many things are needed but I'm going to discuss only one. Mostly because it's close to me.

You need a quality feeder program. That used to be a good REC league. But the feeder program has changed. You need a quality feeder program that feeds travel ball that feeds high school. I see less and less kids that play REC ball only and end up contributing to a quality high school program. I hope that does not hurt anyone's feelings.

I don't care how good a coach is or isn't, he needs some players to work with. At a typical practice you have 30 kids with JV and varsity. Practice is about 2 hours and if you are lucky you have 4 coaches. While coaches do what they can, there is not a ton of time for individual instruction. Hence the growth of baseball training facilities. Most coaches stay after practice or find time to help individuals with specific needs but it's tough. Almost all coaches can make their players better but they only have so much time. They have to have something to work with.

As to the comments on recruiting; sore subject up here in Guilford County right now. One thing I have seen is that if you have a great coach you don't need to recruit. They come to you through transferring.

Pasttime713 raise some excellent points. No need for me to rehash them.

7. Low & Slow

Low & Slow Full Access Member

quality first....

Success almost always follows quality. Work on the quality factors first and then success will build over time.

1. Teach. Players and parents of players want to get quality instruction from knowledgable coaches. Well-instucted players make the fundamental plays that make a difference in the game. Hard working coaches and hard working players will win and savor the payoff from their hard work and wins and success will follow.

2. Groom the facilities. Players perform at a high level when they play at a nice ballpark, particularly one where they have dropped some of their own sweat making it as good as it can be. Sponsor $$$ can make a huge difference in this regard. Recruiting a benefactor can make your park a Field of Dreams for players, fans and coaches. There are some nice examples around Charlotte, including East Meck, Providence, Charlotte Country Day, Charlotte Christian, etc. Drainage is important and an outfield that is smooth and cut short makes an outfielder feel like he can make the aggressive play. Infields that are soft and groomed give the infielder a chance to show what he can do. Cut the weeds out, fresh paint on everything and keeping the dugout and stands clean all add to the feeling that your ballpark is a special place. Edge your bermuda grass along your baselines and dirt areas, instead of letting it just creep out to where it gets beat back in an unsightly way. Operate your scoreboard professionally and add some PA to round out the experience.

3. Play the game aggressively and the way it was meant to be played. Make sure your players are well-versed in the more intricate aspects of baseball so they can execute the plays they need to and defend against them from their opponent. Baseball is a game of inches and properly prepared teams have the advantage in making the extra inch when they need it, offensively or defensively.

4. Promote activities on your field that attract local youth teams. Make your team/school and your park the place these future players and their parents want to be.

5. Work on the mental aspects of the game. Hitting is more than hundreds of reps swinging at easily hit pitches in a cage. Great hitters are looking for certain pitches in certain situations and know how to pick them up early and react to the pitch they are looking for. Great hitters understand the value of a shorter, yet powerful swing...they harvest the fruit of it when facing tough pitching. The best hitters have a plan for each at bat...help them understand how to craft that plan.

6. Dress your team out as nice as you can afford. Players dig a good look and it means more to them than some may think. Work 'em hard and reward 'em with some nicer than most uniforms.

Many posters here could go on & on about what makes good program. Just look around at some of the best and you will see the things mentioned above and many others.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  8. reporter

reporter Full Access Member

9. Braves

outstanding posts so far

10. TheOriole

TheOriole Full Access Member

Doing things the "right" way, not "my" way...exercising humility, leading by example and thru demonstration, quality communication amonst everyone and being positive always....and patience as well teaching, teaching, teaching.... Instilling confidence where it doesn t exist or lacking....giving kids opportunities to be in positions of being successful....grounding them with the notions of how BIG this game is in the realm of real life yet how insignificant it is as well! and on and on and on :pepper: