1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

How does a bat gain "pop"?

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by marlinfan1, Nov 18, 2009.

1. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

I'm still curious to just what the FACTS are. When a bat leaves a manufacturer with x and then after using that bat awhile in increases its "pop", whats up with that?

2. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

Answer

When using a composite bat for a significate span of time it causes the fibers to become more flexible in the bat, similar to a car engine getting broken in as you put more miles on it. The fibers being more flexible cause a trampoline effect then causing the ball to leave the bat quicker. Eventually the fibers in the bat will become so flexible it will no longer have the spring in the bat anymore then it's time for a new bat. Hope this helps ..

Guru

3. Tigerscoach

Tigerscoach Full Access Member

Ok, man am I learning some stuff. But I have a question. Has anyone done a study to see about how many "hits" it takes to make a bat have more pop. I understand different manufactures and materials used will affect this, I was just wondering if there were a rule of thumb or something? When I played we seldom used our "good" bats for practice. The team had 4 or 5 bats but we all used the same 1 or 2 in the games so we would save them for that. Now this was a long time ago and baseball but I am getting the feeling these composite bats are completely different. Someone please educate me!!!!!!

4. Softball Guru

Good Question

Let's ask the wise ole owl........... 3 ............:trampoline:---- When does coal turn into a diamond ?? This question probably has an answer, but I never did research on this one...

Guru

5. treck

treck Softball is my life

the answer is?

Each manufacture has a different answer for that question. But I would say that using a new bat in batting practice is probably a good thing because the answer is in the 1,000's. But once it reaches that point where you really feel it jumping off, then stick it in the bag and save it for games. Until then, hit it as often and as many times as you can.

Problem is, that now bats are sent below the standard and you have to break them in to get them up to the rating they have on them.

I know this year at Gold Nationals they had a compression machine and all the old Synergy's were taken away. They were one of the few bats that left the factory already at their rating and as they got broke in, they went above their ratings and stay that way. That is why they were all pulled.

Ty

6. Softball Guru

My Daughter's First Bat

Bek's first bat was a single wall Easton Triple 7 ,after one season it had so many dents in it I used it for a billy club...j/k....but it was still a good bat during it's era...

Guru

7. Gator_Dad

Gator_Dad Advanced Member

gotta love the old synergys. i saw several teams this past weekend passing trhe same old black synergy down the line as each batter took the box. i was offered a decent amount of money for my daughters and declined.

she wont use it because she hit her first homerun with her new synergy....i tried to explain to her the amount of doubles she hit with black betty but it didnt work.

anyways.....no one will take her bat without coughing up some money....asa, nsa or usa for that matter. i dont give a rip what their cheap machine says. :37:

8. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

I don't think they can take them; I think they just ban them.

In case of an injury, though, I'm not sure. Might be safer to run off with the bat than to have it inspected. Of course, that action might be all a jury needs.

9. Softball Guru

JMHO

In my opinion this bat was the best ever made. If you can still find one get it...

Guru

10. coach44

coach44 Full Access Member

Add more POP

[​IMG]

Eat more Rice Krispies!!!!!!!