1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

How to overcome errors.

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by GloveSide, Apr 3, 2010.

1. GloveSide

GloveSide Full Access Member

Folks I have a team here that has made an uncommon amount of errors in 10 games. Good offensive team. Good pitching. Plenty of pitchers. Big problem is that the defense is averaging at least 6 errors per game. Thats being conservative but we will go with 6.

Any thoughts on this "error" mentality? What are the dynamics here?

In the last game the offense scored 12 EARNED runs and lost....!

I really need some advice so please help. Please help because I dont know where to guide them at this point.

PS I have no more hair to pull out.

GS

2. karlrocket

karlrocket Full Access Member

[​IMG]

6 per game?

3. PhillyDave

PhillyDave Senior Member

Sounds like they need to believe in themselves more and have confidence in each other. IMO

4. GloveSide

my count

I count 84 errors in 10 games..

5. GloveSide

Help

I here you PD and I know. I just dont know how to get them there.

6. karlrocket

karlrocket Full Access Member

Is it poor fundamentals on ground balls, bad throws, bad decision-making on plays, or a combination of these? Maybe filming a game (only the defense) & playing it back to them would help. Discuss what should have been done. Could be just a mental thing. Errors get in players heads sometimes.

7. Low & Slow

Low & Slow Full Access Member

Most infield fielding errors are due to players letting the ball play them instead of being on the move and looking for that better hop...or by sitting and waiting for the ball to come to them and play whatever hop presents itself. Get them to be on the move and more plays will be made on better hops.

Throwing errors are tied more to insufficient reps in my opinion. The player who only throws from his position during scheduled practices is the one who throws the ball away and turns outs into doubles, and easy innings into pitch-count busting 4 run innings. Sitting on ground balls also contributes to bad throws as more throws are rushed....off bad footwork and under pressure of the runner approaching the base. A good scooper at first base can erase some errors before they happen...spend some extra time with the first baseman working on footwork and scooping bad throws

Just my opinion....

8. TheOriole

TheOriole Full Access Member

Must

tell them to slow the game down in their minds as they are abour ro make a play and stick to fundamentals and confidence!!! Additionally, you need to get them back to the basics slow rollers, proper footwork, staying low on throws, drop steps, looking the ball IN...90 percent of errors happen AFTER the ball has made contact with the fielder. They are not SEEING and LOOKING the ball in and cross stepping correctly while staying low and following their throws peharps. I could go on and on but repetition and muscle memory really are the only answers.:lalala:

9. kccnc23756

kccnc23756 Junior Member

The shortstop goes deep in the hole, backhands the ball, pivots and throws a B.B. to 1st, that is a tad low and short-hops the first-baseman---

..... charges a weak grounder on the full run, bobbles the ball, and continues and fires to 1st from only 60 feet away that catches the 1st baseman in awkward position, and comes off the bag just before catching it----

...... stretches head-long to grab a sharp one-hopper, turns to throw to 1st, but the 1st baseman not to the bag, so SS flinches enough to short-arm throw , and 1st cannot field the ball, which one-hops to his knees....

all 3 are quick-reflex, hustling plays that would be hits except for being prepared and getting to the ball.....why the hell are they always scored errors on the fielder, and not the 1st baseman--an error is supposed to "assign blame for a poor play that allows a runner to be safe, or to advance a base"??!!

10. stopper83

stopper83 Full Access Member

Groundballs, more groundballs, and then more groundballs!!!!!!