1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

HQ4 Challenge?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by bigleaguedaughter, May 1, 2007.

1. bigleaguedaughter

bigleaguedaughter Junior Member

My son has been going to HQ4 for 2 year and recently they sent and email challenging us to compare their facility and staff to any other in the area. We did this when we a new facility opened in our area, Carolinas Baseball
    Center. I was amazed at how experienced the staff is and the facility is wonderful. I can't even put into words how impressed I was with CBC. We do like the staff at HQ4, but I do think they made a big mistake with making this challenge!

2. Warriorcoach5

Warriorcoach5 Junior Member

I totally agree with this. I visited HQ4 when I first moved here from Virgina a year ago. I just recently visited Carolinas Baseball Center this week. "CBC" has much more to offer. Their staff is much more people friendly, and the knowledge they share with the players is amazing. The program I was most impressed with was the SPARQ training program. There are certified instructors instructing the players to become quicker, faster and more agile. Ive heard a lot about the SPARQ program and I am very impressed. So with the facility and the programs CBC offers, I do have to say CBC beat HQ4 in the challange

3. Dead Red

Dead Red Junior Member

HQ4 - Class People - Great facility

As for facilities and coaches, I honestly cannot speak about CBC, however to say the staff at HQ4 has shortcomings is laughable. Marty and Al are two of the most dedicated proponents of youth baseball in this area. They work tirelessly to provide every possible training benefit for youth of all ages and skill levels. Their costs are more than fair, and their instructors are second to none. There aren't too may places where a 17 year old kid can feel free to drop in for an unscheduled workout, or to just talk baseball, school or life in general with adults who have a genuine concern for them. I have seen this first hand, as my son does this quite often. The training he has received, and the advice he has been given in regards to his baseball career has been priceless. They are equally concerned for his development as a young man as they are for him as a player, if not more so.
    With coaches on staff including Hal Bagwell of Ardrey Kell HS, Chet Greeson of East Meck. HS, Derek Shoe of the Davidson Copperheads, and numerous pro and college players, one would be hard pressed to produce a finer staff of instructors. Hats off to CBC for putting together what sounds like a quality facility and program, but my hat will stay in the ring at HQ4.

4. PhillyDave

PhillyDave Senior Member

While HQ4 is a great facility and has a great staff, you would be missing the boat if you didn't go check out CBC's facility. Without question, this is the finest facility in the area.....and I have visited them all. Tell me where else you can go and have a full size (indoor) infield and have your hitters take full swings on the same infield. This place is extremely big, not like some of the others. If there is such a place, let me know. I'm not saying that everyone should stop going to the others facilities, but what I am saying is, .... check this place out, you "MIGHT" be impressed. Jeff Schaeffer (exmlb) has put together a great staff of people to work with everyone. Mike Gardnier (exmlb) is as good as it gets when it comes to pitching and with the addition of Mike Shildt to the staff, well, it doesn't get any better than that.

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  5. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Wow....enuff said.

But I still enjoy the fact that both Marty Barker and Al Dahlgren are two of the best people in this business. They don't care about one's skill level. They only hope to improve it. An instructor that caught my eyes at HQ4 is Morris Madden AKA "AppleJack" on TBR. He was very instrumental in getting TBR Preps started with his sound advice about anything and everything having to do with baseball

6. 4-6-3-DP

4-6-3-DP Full Access Member

You need to find a place that works for you. I think you should visit as many of these places as possbile and see as many instructors as possible. Chances are you can visit five different instructors at five different facilities and hear the same thing five times. However, one may say it in a way that works for your player. Thats why there are so many instuctors at Spring Training. They are all teaching the same thing, but what clicks for one may not for the next. Its all about finding what works for your individual player. All these facilities have great instructors who have a passion for what they do. You can take your player to any of the facilities listed above and leave a better player. I think its great for baseball in Charlotte that we are having these kind of conversations. The players in the Charlotte area are the real winners in this debate.

7. yankees

yankees Full Access Member

HQ4 is great

I can't say anything about CBC, but I have nothing but praise for Marty Barker and Al Dahlgren at HQ4 who really made my son welcome working out this past December. He's playing college ball and he had a great time working out with Chad Tracy, Tony Womack, Jon Adkins and several other Pro players during the Christmas break.

8. Dead Red

Dead Red Junior Member

Well said 4-6-3 DP!