1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

HS players that are part of the early signing period from the Class of 2004

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by SouthLoop, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Dynasty07

Dynasty07 Full Access Member

if kyle shelton and reid fronk both play third and both going to unc, who is going to get the position or will one of them have to play short or second, or something like that. some one explain this

congrads reid, go get them

2. Gambit

Gambit Full Access Member

No offense to Kyle, but his size will hurt him. Reid clearly has a advantage in that area. If i had to pick right now i'd say Fronk over Shelton. But with UNC's great recruiting class coming in this year, neither of them may get any time.

3. Dynasty07

Dynasty07 Full Access Member

i dont know, reid may get alot of time, they recruited him like crazy, coach fox came to abunch of his football games and watched him play,i heard from a reliable source that roy williams and dean smith called him on the phone personally. i dont know, that seems to me that they want him bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2003
  4. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

I've had the pleasure of watching Kyle Shelton play SS recently. Without a doubt, he has the quickness, bat and hands to play that position in college.

Most guys in HS are NOT playing at the position they will play in college. Kyle played behind Ben Kerr at South Meck last year. Ben was at short, so Kyle moved to 3rd. Expect Kyle to spend the entire season at SS this season at South Meck. He reminds me of Chris Cararra ('03 grad from Charlotte Christian) at that position. His college position may be 2nd, but the kid can play ball.

5. ncbb

ncbb Junior Member

It is not just between Fronk and Shelton, What about Chad Flack?
    There is also the current freshmen Jay Cox 1 of 4 SS brought in this year, pitchers are expected to have 15 other players at their position, infielders are not, it is going to be tough to get on the field for these guys. This brings up another topic I saw on HSBASEBALLWEB, FIT or SIT. Is it better to find a FIT where you could PLAY or wear the uniform of your favorite team and SIT?

6. SouthPawDad

SouthPawDad Full Access Member

ncbb, I agree. Chad Flack is as solid and strong as they come, at third and at the plate. Also, POPS mentioned Ben Kerr, who chose UNC-Asheville so that he could play and not sit.

To me it all boils down to the old analogy, "do you want to be a little fish in a big pond, or a big fish in a little pond"?!

7. sugarjet

sugarjet Full Access Member

Congratulations Reid! We are happy that you will be at UNC with Kyle. You guys will have a great time, and both will add much to an already super program. Hope to be watching you guys in Nebraska in a year or so!!

8. rcbbfan

rcbbfan Full Access Member

I wouldn't say that it's unusual for a college to recruit more than 1 SS in a given year. Often, HS SSs are the most talented player on the team. Most even pitch when they're not at SS.

Shelton, Fronk, and Flack are all top drawer baseball players as well as superb athletes and each has his own special abilities to offer to any team. They may not play at their HS positions in college(at least for a couple of years), but I'm certain Coach Fox has something in mind for each of them.

Congratulations to Kyle, Reid, and Chad. Good luck to each of them as they start their college careers.

9. spacedawg

spacedawg Full Access Member

talent

To compete on a national level, college coaches must recruit talent. Positions will be sorted out through competition, which may make the players and team stronger. It's great to have depth. Injuries occur often in baseball.

SS Josh Horton (2003- All-State, East Coast Pro Showcase and Impact Team heading to Florida) is also part of the 2004 UNC recruiting class.

Jay Cox, Chad Flack and Brack Massey are probably corner infielders and one or two could see time in the outfield.

Corrado and Mangum look to be the early starters at short and second. Adam Weaver should contribute too.

10. gonzo

gonzo Full Access Member

There are a good number of converted short stops playing all sorts of positions in college. But SPD makes a very valid point, which is something to consider at recruiting time. If you go to one of the top 30-40 schools, the competition for your position will be hard. So you must be prepared if you are beaten out by someone better (or who the coaches think works better) at your primary position. If you go to a smaller school, you will have a better chance of playing the position you want.