1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

HS practice?

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by CanAmMan, Feb 14, 2007.

1. jfagala

jfagala Full Access Member

reasons for not playing

Lazy, coaching politics, grades, boyfriends, Lazy, parents, diffent priorities, lazy, (notice a trend?)

2. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

also...

academics, jobs, school clubs :drive:

3. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

gotta want to

I think the ones that "want" to play, do play.

4. maggie

maggie Junior Member

Growing Up

I think girls priorities change when they get those license, jobs, & boyfriends.Can ya blame em ? Remember when we were 16 yrs old ? I have found that I have to make sure that there is balance in her life. When summer ball is going strong, she pretty much spends all week with her friends, cause you know the weekend is committed.I can see some getting burn out.

5. NOGA87

NOGA87 Full Access Member

And some play for the social aspect. Although I think it's slowly getting less and less.

6. reporter

reporter Full Access Member

Coaches who are terrible and let it be known you are not wanted is one reason; even if you were head and shoulders above her FAVORITES!!!!

7. bothsportsdad

bothsportsdad Full Access Member

Its not burnout. I kinda get tired of hearing about that and some blame trying to be assigned to parents who give their DD's the BEST opportunity out there to be the best their talent allows. Either the kid has a passion for the game orthey do not! Usually someone in here will hit the nail on the head and John Fagala has done it here. I recall playing at Myrtle few years ago. On day one we won all day but had to play 4 games and didnt finish until about 11pm so we all headed for McD's starved of course and a parent there saw my coaches shirt and we struck up a conversation. His DD was on an older team maybe 18U. He shocked me when he said: just waite till they get their DL's... you will loose have of them!!!! It has stuck with me. Nothing else need to be said.

8. Abbey fan

Abbey fan Full Access Member

Stuff

Agree with many comments but the key factor is it is no longer fun! We play games because we enjoy them and the more we can excel, the more fun we have. As U get to the top level of softball, all players are good, all know the game, and all have passion, so love of the game sets the truly top player above the rest. Most pros would play even if the money was not as plentiful. Same here, most elite softball players do it for the love and challenge! Yea there are many other activities as the girls reach 16 or so but there is always time for FUN!!!:drive:

9. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

something different this year

this year, we're seeing something new to us. in middle school, the girls would play softball and then soccer. in hs, in most cases, they have to make a choice between the two as they run concurrent. girls who were standouts in softball in ms, are choosing soccer, not because it was their best sport, but because their good friends are playing soccer. peer pressure and the desire to stick with you friends has cost me four really fast and true athletics this year. but, as you've said, it is their choice and they need to follow that urge. if we were allowed to recruit from the student body, i would have probably had at least two of the four, but we're not allowed to influence their choices. I have in the past, lost girls when they get their DL'S, but they were borderline players with minimal desire. Past history says that I will lose at least four players of the 30 I will keep, to academics/absences/tardies, so, I stress to all players out there to keep with the books and limit the days of school you miss.

10. Dawgfan

Dawgfan Full Access Member

Yes they are, and well known ones at that.