1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

HS softball

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by cheeze105, Jan 19, 2009.

1. UNCCDAWG

UNCCDAWG Junior Member

I agree Gman

I don't believe a fr. or soph. (unless it is a numbers game) should be on varsity without getting considerable playing time. We have been lucky in the fact that we have a jv and varsity and they still have to make a few cuts, but there are very few tb players on the team. I was just thinking that before the season started would be a better time to ask a coach about "time" however you word it, than it would be 3 - 4 weeks into the season if she was riding the pine. To me 3 - 4 weeks into the season would look more like complaining or whinning than concern about gaining experience.

2. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

now this has gotten interesting. conditioning is not mandatory, but.....it was made pretty clear to most that if you're not playing volleyball or basketball or swimming, you need to do some form of conditioning to keep in shape, and this is free......as far as conditioning, we have a volunteer conditioning coach who comes to our school and works the crap out of the kids, getting great results on football, basketball and volleyball...we'll see about softball and baseball later.

hate to tell you folks this, but their are some really true athletics who choose not to play travel ball, and are a heck of a lot better than some of the players who have come through our conference, not to mention our school, so playing travel ball is not a guarantee of a varsity spot.

sammy, i really dont think you would want some of my inner city girls, you just aren't mean enough for them. lol

conditioning is not mandatory, but all of my kids know that if its not a dead period, and if less than nine show up, we're putting gloves on or hittin off the machine, which is perfectly legal.

i hope we have enough to field a jv team, but the sports seem to be suffering in our conference, not just softball, but all as this generation of kids seem to want to not exert themselves beyond getting up and going to class. dont know how to change this, and know we're not alone, as this was the summer discussion among many of my hs coaching friends (who also coach tb).

was kind of boring on here for awhile, hope this generates some more discussion....

3. nctiger

nctiger Full Access Member

Players who are taking part in other sports are to excused from conditioning and workouts.
    While some travel ball starts in Feb, the kids that are hs age and will be playing on sixteen/eighteen team almost all of them do not start up until after High school season has been completed.

4. cheeze105

not all of us are butt-holes, i have an open door policy to my players, and in private, off the field, they can discuss anything of interest (softball wise) that they care to discuss.

i had a player who fielded a position that is being held by an all state player, also a soph. she asked if she would ever be able to catch on varsity....i told her the truth, and suggested that she train for another position, which i would be glad to spend extra time teaching her.....she did, she won the position, and that ended that discussion. i dont think "the right time" thing is the issue here, i believe its in how you ask the question....were i in your dd's position i would simply ask what positions are open for varsity and how can i get extra training to fill that position????? always impresses the crap out of me when i hear that.....i dont hear it as often as i used too...

5. cheeze105

16/18u tournaments start in april, never filling as most wait until after memorial day.....but ya know, some will always try to get the girls still playing hs ball to play on a weekend, and thats where the friction starts between tb and hs...more tb coaches should respect the hs season and be happy with occasional weekend practices and knowing the girls are still playing ball two or three times a week (might not be the quality they're used too or desire, but its still playing ball)

6. JavelinCatcher

JavelinCatcher Full Access Member

All of the above...

My DD is doing strength training with Stephon and Barry two nights a week (Mon-Wed), HS conditioning two days a week after school (Tues-Thurs), and practicing with her TB team on Sunday's as well as going to camps somewhere in between like the UNC camp this past weekend and Mrytle Beach the weekend before. Makes for a long week and lots of working but she will be better for it whether she plays softball or not...

Eventually, HS will start having practice 5 days a week and she will still be doing strength training and TB practice.

This ought to be fun!!!

Makes me wonder... Are we asking too much of these girls???

7. cheeze105

sometimes javelin, sometimes we do. a good coach should be able to recoginize this and find alternate duties for that player to change up her routine. i missed it with my daughter, burned her out just in time for college, but i'm determined to not let it happen again....one of my goals now....

8. JavelinCatcher

JavelinCatcher Full Access Member

Balance?

But how do you balance what the HS and TB coaches are expecting from them when they aren't the same person and have different expectations?

In the end, they both have the girls best interests at heart...

9. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

These are all true points when it comes to other activities. No player should be penalized for being a well rounded student. The majority of the time they aren't penalized. But... when the tryouts start and the high school coach has two or more players that appear to be of equal ability and one of those players has participated in the off season work then he or she is going to take the player that is a known commodity, not the one that he or she has never seen doing the work it takes to improve. The high school coach has every right to do it this way.

Cheeze touched on some of this attitude with the statement about tb players having an automatic in. That needs to be checked at the school house door. In travel ball, a player, and her parents, have options of where and for whom to play. In high school there is just one team and just one coach. Sure your DD doesn't have to play hs ball, she can just play with her travel team. There will come a moment, if DD is good enough, when a college recruiter will ask about DD's high school experience. Go ahead and tell them that the coach at her high school was an idiot who made them work out all school year. You will then have just killed DD's chances of playing college ball.

Some HS coaches will be more flexible with players that have earned the coach's respect. But to demand them to be flexible... it just ain't gonna happen!

To keep it simple think of it this way... he/she is the high school coach, it's his or her team, he/she makes the rules, decides who makes the team, where they play and when they play. The coach's job is to win games by teaching and guiding the players to be their best. The players job is to do what the coach tells them to do. The parents job is to be fans... if everyone does their job then everybody has an enjoyable season. For about three months this is how the softball world turns... live with it!

10. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

javelin... in the spring it has to be the tb coach that is flexible, the rest of the year the hs coach should recognize the benefits his players are getting elsewhere. If a tb coach is too demanding in the spring then he will lose players at some point, there are other teams and other coaches DD can play tb for.

cheeze... if they ever invent a sport that you play with just your thumbs then the kids today will have it made. Watch them text or play video games! we'd kick a$$!