1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

HS softball

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by cheeze105, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

It really shouldn't be this big a deal...

Let's look at some facts.
    First, and foremost, in the fall and in the spring these kids should be STUDENTS first! That is more important than tb or hs ball. Doing two of these at a time is enough of a load, three is asking too much!
    There is no conflict in the fall so tb is the focus (after school work of course) for the players. It just so happens that this is the time of the year college recruiters have the time to evaluate players. This is why there are showcases in the fall, and the early signing period is in November. The colleges have evaluated the players during the summer and fall and are ready to make their offers. The players they have identified as "bubble" players, will be invited to camps during the winter and/or followed during the spring hs season.
    In the spring, the college folks are kind of busy... if they don't take care of their business this time of year they will be looking for a new job! Any recruiting/evaluation at this time is predominantly looking at a specific player,no matter where she's playing. With athletic budgets, travel costs and the restricted amount of time these coaches are dealing with, you just aren't going to see many at hs games or tb tournaments in the spring.
    The hs season offers a player one thing tb doesn't... the amount of practice time. Repetitions are what build a strong athlete and with hs ball a player is on the field five days a week for three plus months. Sure there are high schools that have less than stellar coaching, but when it comes down to it, isn't it the player that has to push herself to improve?
    Travel softball, and softball in general, in NC is still growing, and with growth comes growing pains. Take a look over on the TBR baseball board, you won't see any discussion about conflicts between school ball and showcase ball. They have figured this thing out already and co-exist pretty well. The people in softball need to learn from this example.

2. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Full Access Member

Regression

What does a player do when they are faced with a no win situtation in regards to HS coach who does not know the game as well as the players. The HS coach is a multi-sport coach and is not real knowegable when it comes to softball, but is the head coach because they want it that way, and then brings along assit. coach that is even less knowing than them. Team is full of experienced players, returning varsity and many TB players, HS coach has them 5 days a week for 14 or 15 weeks, what do you think is the result of such a program. They start out like a ball of fire because they have been working out on their on or with their TB team over the off season and then BAM they hit the wall that is HS coach that only goes thru infield / outfield and some hitting drills in the cage. There is no instruction to any of the players and certaintly no learning how to improve in the game. After about four weeks into season the team starts to cool off and then the real tough games start coming along and they are progessively getting worse than improving as the season goes foward. As a player goes tru a season they should improve not regress, this leads to the player having to either work on their own after practice or risk losing ground in the battle for improvement, this sititutation has a direct effect on the TB player when it comes time for the real season to start, and they are left to play catch-up to the other girls that have a real coach for the last 4 mos. meanwhile the TB trail has started and the college coaches that she has been in contact with start coming out to watch and she struggles with her game due the fact that she has not been able progress with her HS team work-outs. Saddly we do not have choice when it comes to HS coaches or teammates, but those choice do exist with TB, and if you feel that you DD is not progressing as a player you can look for other options.

3. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

i saw this occur in a local conference, what came about is that the tb players basically took control of the team and taught the coach a few things. some districts are requiring that the head coach be a teacher, qualified or not. i know of one school with a new head coach who is requiring his softball players to run a sub 7 minute mile to qualify for HIS softball team. i hear that not too many are coming out for this reason.....sounds more like football than softball to me..jmho

4. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

There are some very good hs coaches. Some hs coaches also give private lessons. I would hope that most hs coaches would recognize it when a player's skills are well developed. But keep in mind that there are probably no two hitting instructors that see skill development exactly the same way. Even if they did individuals learn at different levels. The same hitting instructor working with two different players will most likely approach them differently because individuals have their own unique ways of learning. The instructor has to be able to determine those differences and make adjustments.

The hs coach is working with a whole team at a time. Even if the hs coach knew hitting well his approach may be different than the private instructor. I've had kids tell me from time to time about some seemingly flawed training that ended up being a misunderstanding of what the coach was trying to teach. I think we've all heard horror stories that turned out to be that way. Of course, I've heard about and seen some really bad ones also.

But to say you wouldn't let your DD play for a hs coach that didn't measure up to your private instructor is a little too much. I know your instructor and he's a very good instructor. But I doubt he would go along with not playing just because the hs coach does not have the same skills as he does. If the hs coach could mess your DD up in that short time maybe we need to learn how he does it so we can teach the proper skills in that same amount of time.

I don't know about everyone else but my teaching style has evolved over many years and kids and I like to think I'm finally here but I know that if I learn a better way tomorrow I will change my style. I know that what was being taught back in 1998 is not what is being taught now. As a matter of fact what was being taught 2-3 years ago is not what is being taught now.

I find it hard to believe that there is anyone so far away from the norm that they can't do their job. And if there is it might be an opportunity to help. After all there are a bunch of other kids on that team.

There are no perfect coaches! And there are no perfect players!

5. softball247

softball247 Full Access Member

I see several posts about the Ohio HS regulations not allowing a player to play TB and HS at the same time. This brings me back to a post I previously left on this thread where I discussed an article where HS age soccer players in Ohio are choosing club teams over HS. If you make a player choose between two viable options, someone is bound to be disappointed.

I have coached high level travel for over 10 years without a daughter in it, and as I have traveled to see several of my player's HS teams play, it is extremely disappointed in the coaching level of many of them. There are some excellent HS coaches out there. Unfortunately, I see too many school administrations that put highest priority on getting a teacher, instead of a quality coach in the head coaching positions. Why? Typically when I have had to hire for positions in companies I work for I look for the best and most qualified candidate.

Finally, as I said before, times are changing. Ten years ago these types of TB teams were unheard of. Players still got plenty of exposure, and played a significant number of their total games with their HS teams. Now, TB teams offer more games, higher level competition, and in many cases, better qualified coaches. With this being said, to be TB becomes a better option if having to choose between the two. I played HS and college baseball, and if you gave me the option of playing my 16-game HS season or playing for a team that would end up in Oklahoma City at the end of the summer playing for the GOLD Nationals (or equivalent), it is pretty easy for me to decide where I would be playing. To be honest, 12 years after my HS career ended, I can honestly say that I cherish my experiences traveling the country with my TB teams than I do with those games I played in HS. But, like I said, if I were to have to choose, someone would have been disappointed...

6. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

Excellent quote, excellent take and perception

7. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

[QUOTE=Sure there are high schools that have less than stellar coaching, but when it comes down to it, isn't it the player that has to push herself to improve?

kinda weird to quote yourself...

A player will not get to the next level based on the coaches/instructors she has had... period. She will get there based on her talent, her work ethic and her effort to get herself exposure... period. There will be those that will help, whether it is her parents, or a coach (or teacher) at the high school or her travel coach. But the bottom line is it has to be the kid that has "it" in her. Remember, it's only 4% to 5% that will play beyond high school.

It wasn't long ago we were discussing the travails of "daddyball" in the tb ranks. Now some are saying that there are just a few hs coaches out there that can do the job... wow, this softball stuff is confusing!:willy_nilly:

8. trooper

trooper Banned From TBR

Softballphreak: But to say you wouldn't let your DD play for a hs coach that didn't measure up to your private instructor is a little too much. I know your instructor and he's a very good instructor. But I doubt he would go along with not playing just because the hs coach does not have the same skills as he does. If the hs coach could mess your DD up in that short time maybe we need to learn how he does it so we can teach the proper skills in that same amount of time.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

READ WHAT I SAID: If I am paying an instructor for 3-4 years on teaching my daughter the proper techniques in hitting, then having a High School coach start changing her swing and my daughter has to nod and say OK coach.

If you read in an earlier post, the poster said, if you want to stay on a high school team you better acknowledge the HS coach even if he is changing your swing and don't say anything about your hitting instructor doing it differently.

And phreak, to come off and say a High school coach can change my daughter's swing and our hitting instructor would say nothing, GUESS AGAIN. So according to you, all hitting instructors and mine included would just say, "Stay with your HS coach, let him or her change your swing and throw away 3-4 years in money you paid me for him to ruin your swing". Now don't tell me all High School coaches come from the same mold as the USA softball coaches and they know sooooooooo much that they can only improve your daughters swing.

Now you may know why alot of TB coaches do not want there players playing HS ball. Because some (SOME, I SAID SOME) high school coaches do not know squat about what they are doing. They get thrust into coaching and dont know the difference between sliders and gliders.:cussing:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  9. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

What I am saying is that if your DD wants to play hs ball or tb for that matter she may find that the coach may have a different approach (good or bad) to teaching hitting. I believe in most cases that the hs or tb coach would not be that far off the mark from your private instructor.

If, for instance, you attend a Candrea clinic I don't believe you would then have second thoughts about your tb coach messing up what Candrea taught and therefore wasting your money.

I see your point that you would not be happy to invest all the time and money in private lessons and then get some coach whose only experience is in algebra. A number of years back Enloe had exactly that. But that is the exception to the rule I hope.

What I try to do, and I believe Chuck does also, is explain why we're teaching what we're teaching. If you understand the basis for why you do something it is more likely to be understood. The players should study the game also--not just imitate what we teach them. I believe most serious players do.

Your DD has had enough lessons that she knows the difference between good technique and bad technique. Depending on how she handles her knowledge she can be a plus for the hs coach or a minus. Unless you have a real bozo for a hs coach he/she will recognize your DD's skills. If you have a bozo I don't think he/she will be there long anyway. She will outlast him/her.

I tell my kids when in Rome do as the Romans do (but help where you can). I think that is far better than putting your DD at odds with the program or just as bad not playing at all.

10. scal

scal Full Access Member

coaches

There comes a point in time where parents have to start holding coaches feet to the fire. Not to the point where you become offensive, but that there is a clear understanding that as a parent you do know what you are talking about. A smart coach will recognize that and try to use it to the teams advantage. Whether the HS/TB coach wants to accept it or not should determine where a kids plays. No one should play just to play, becuase in the end you just end up miserable and less challenged. If that's the case save yourself a bunch of money and play REC ball. If I'm going to have to spend $50 an hour for a private instructor for two or three years so my DD can learn the proper techniques of hitting, throwing, or whatever, I'm not about to let anyone undo that. Would You? There comes a point in time where players and parents who stay with it long enough can tell the difference between a coach who knows what's going on or not. They are very easliy identified. The best coaches know how to develop talent at all levels and their practices are like clinics.