1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Huge Showcase Tourney at ECU

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by BaseballMan, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Red Bear

Red Bear Full Access Member

Interesting reading on www.hsbaseballweb.com regarding this tournament. Seems as though some folks were miffed at how some teams played.

I was at a showcase tournament in Greenville NC this past weekend and my sons team played 2 teams one from NC and the other from SC.I'm not sure that there coaches get what showcase baseball is all about. They are playing to win rather than showcasing ALL of their players. They bunt, they pitch their starting pitchers 5 innings and they play there starters the whole game or at least most of it. I thought showcase baseball was what it says SHOWCASE YOUR PLAYERS. ALL YOUR PLAYERS!!!! Showcase them while the college coaches are still there. It's not about winning or loosing. I believe most showcase teams rotate there players every 2 or 3 innings including pitchers. Coaches wake up and do what's best for the kids.

And another...

Same showcase same impression.

I asked a few of the other teams parents, "do they always bunt" and they said they didn't know but suspected the reason was that the teams were not formed for showcase purposes but were competitive summer teams that played "tournament" ball and were getting ready for WW perfect game woodbat tournaments in Fl. in a few weeks.

I share your frustration as we lost two games by 1 run and 2 runs where bunting was the reason. What clued me in about that being "just how they play" was how ecstatic their fans were when they were successful. They obviously had no inkling of what "showcase" games are. On the other hand it's frustrating for our kids as they aren't allowed to bunt or play for the bunt. They are playing with one hand tied behind their back.

I'm OK with our coaches philosophy. But I wish he would just tell the other teams coach before the game that we don't bunt and won't play to defense the bunt. If they then chose to bunt at least I'd know they were showing their true colors. I'm thinking they wouldn't if they knew.

Then again, it's like hunting in a baited field some folks just look at the kill not the sport.
    Is this legit or sour grapes?????

2. Squid

Squid Full Access Member

sound like a bunch of commies

last I heard bunting was part of the game as was pitching.

Seems to me if you do want to "showcase" you should do your best against the best.

Look in the mirror. If you can't win, then maybe your pantyhose is too tight. :1peekdoor

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I think it's simple. Not playing to win and not ever bunting when the time is right is not playing baseball. Any other way of playing baseball is disrespecting the game. I don't think "showcasing" means changing how you play the game. I believe it implies that all players will get an opportunity to play during a tournament. Whether it's all the games or just one depends on the player and the team.

I remember a high profile showcase team did what you suggested at Perfect Games in Jupiter. They played the games only to showcase their players. They lost all their games and PG thought long about not inviting them back. The coach of that team learned his lesson and realized they better play to win..or they wouldn't be back. I just can't imagine ever playing baseball or any sport for that matter with the priority not to win.

4. swing4fence

swing4fence Junior Member

A couple of points on various subjects discussed in this thread..........

1. My son has been to a few of these World bat events, even winning one this past summer. IMO Bunting is "a given" at the Perfect Game World Bat Showcase. If you don't bunt.......you will not advance. The Florida Bombers won the World Bat this July with what Perfect Game called "maybe the best showcase team ever put together". That team bunted and bunted. They manufactured runs continuously. With the pitching they had, they just needed 1-2 runs. If you do not work on this part of your game NOW you will not execute when you need it in Jupitor. And you will need it!!!!

2. As for the Cubs vs Dirtbags......I do not know if the words "bad blood" is what I would use but there has been some issues in the past going back 2-3 years. Both teams are solid(very). Both are ran by good stand up guys. My son played for both and would do it again.

3. You can be the most talented team at a Perfect game world bat event but you better have lady Luck on your side. The Dirtbags finished 5th last year losing to the eventual champion Houston Heat in the round of 8. I am still convinced that the Dirtbag team Andy had down there was the best team there. They just ran out of gas having to beat the pre-tournament favorites Florida Bombers and All american baseball(justin Upton and 5 other draft picks) the nite before just to get to the round of 8.

4. As for this years tournament in Jupitor........watch out for the Atlanta braves scout team. They took the top prospects from across the country and are loaded. The All American prospects out of Florida have a loaded team as well. They won the 17U championship and retain much the same team. PITCHING, PITCHING and MORE PITCHING. You need to have at least 5 legit number 1 guys. I do not mean #1 guys in your County/City but # 1's/2's from across a region. Just my opinion.......

5. bbrksfan

bbrksfan Full Access Member

Bunting is a skill.

I have had this same discussion with coaches before.
    You must play to win. If you do not win games in these showcases, no one is going to come and watch you play.

Bunting is as much apart of the game as pitching. Do it at the right time and put yourself in a position to win ball games.

For some players, the "art" of the bunt is a key to their success as a player.
    At a regional showcase, my son was complemented by a D-1 Coach for doing his job and laying down a bunt base hit.

It is part of the game (Except at the Major League level)

Are some showcase teams unsure of how to field bunt situations? Just because it may be unexpected does not eliminate it from the game.

6. Braves

Good post, Swing4fence. You nailed it!

Oh...and you are correct about the Braves Scout Team. They are extremely talented. But so are about 15-20 other teams...from Puerto Rico ( I love their fans; drums and all) Ontairio, Baseball America, The Bombers, The Juice, East Cobb, Warhawks, Heat, Dallas Mustangs, Diamond Devils to the Cubs and Impact Baseball. You have to have DEEEP pitching and a lot of luck

7. Dbacks20

Dbacks20 Moderator

Hey Braves....are you saying pack a lunch in Jupiter cause it might be a long day....:satana:

8. Braves

No question about it. I get there at 7:30 am and usually don't leave until 9-10 pm each day...except to get something to eat and get a little bit of air conditioning

The two best things to bring with you is a golf cart (it is accepted) and a big RV to park in the parking lot...that would be as close to baseball heaven as you will ever get.

9. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

It is part of the game (Except at the Major League level)

I love this quote. Major league baseball was almost ruined by steroids which took bunting and baserunning and all the decision making out of the game. But don't look now but homers are down. About one more year of shrinking sluggers (Javy Lopez, Sammy Sosa, Miguel Tejada, and Palmeiro to name a few) and we will have the game we love back. Anybody else noticed that the majority of the steroid offenders are Latinos? I have no problem with 40% of major league players being foreigners as long as it is a level playing field, but cheating to get there is absolutely unacceptable.

10. bbrksfan

bbrksfan Full Access Member

Although I do'nt get to watch as many Major League games as I used to, I can count the number of bunts and steal attempts that I have seen this year on one hand. The game has become a matter of "who can hit the most home runs" will win the game.

Granted that pitching is better, catchers are better, and pitchers do a much better job of holding runners close. It was bovious in last years World Series: Boston brought in a guy off the bench to steal bases when needed late in the game. I miss the days of watching a guy to steal a base.

With all these guys bulking up, they had to give up their speed.

I believe the avg 60 yd time for a Major League player is: 7.1