1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Ideas- Increasing The Number of High School Games Allowed In A Week

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by Bmac1, Dec 28, 2006.

1. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

i kinda agree with you on pitching. my dd was the only pitcher on our hs team for four years, and she didnt really show any fatigue until the 125 pitch count which usually came in the 10th or 11th inning (four of those last year). but i have heard a lot of comments coming from the state playoffs last year, with two pitchers throwing 19-21 innings in one day. i believe that is a little too much, just my opinion based on 10 years of travel ball experience. holding to a pitch count would mean counting on the score books, and thats a waste of time in our conference. but something needs to be done about the 21 inning thing, dont you think??? it would really change strat. at the state level.

2. Pop Rivers

Pop Rivers NCSCA

Limitations!

I do not believe there will be a limit placed on high schools by any State Associations. They seemed to be fine with the status quo so to speak. If the National Federation places limitations on pitchers, then it will be a done deal. I believe a couple more years of research by the powers that be and a few more articles on the stress on the arms of the young ladies and the National Federation will issue an edict that puts the limitations in place. Once that takes place, every State Association will follow the guidelines that is set up by them and it probably will never be addressed again. I do feel it is coming soon at the high school level, just a matter of time.

3. betterbatter

betterbatter Full Access Member

Adopting the international tie breaker would help that. But a tie breaker shouldn't kick in until at least the 10th inning. That way ties have a chance to resolve themselves in a way that's true to the game. Most ties are settled before 10 innings anyway. I would not want the high school game to become exactly like travel ball with the all-out push to get the game over so the tournament can stay on a time schedule.

4. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

we

we played an 18 inning game last year in the conf championship game. our top pitcher went 12 innings, their's 15 innings.

I think int tiebreaker should kick in at some point and move pitching distance back to 43'.

5. central-d

central-d Full Access Member

There is a much greater need to regulate pitching in travel ball than in school ball, especially with those travel ball programs with their weekend tournaments that infringe on the school season. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I have a much better idea. If everyone would just give up playing school ball and just play travel ball which is much better, you wouldn't have to worry about all these stupid rules that the out of touch with reality nchsaa makes.

6. sports buff

sports buff Full Access Member

Great point better. Also Bmac had some good ideas. However the NCHSAA would only prefer one option. Such as cutting the regular season limits and picking up a tournament. A tournament with possible pool play and then seeding for a single elimination format with the winner possibly getting up to 7 or 8 games. Have played in some of these across state lines. However we could never go beyond the pool. One of the wonderful things about these ideas would be to help teams in the extreme west to makeup for poor weather early getting more games in a tournament situation. Many times in State playoffs some teams do not have alot of games. As for pitching have heard many discussions on this. Some from people who worry about the true health of the athletes and also from coaches who want to get away from the stud pitcher. Alot of times it is the latter. If you take care of these young ladies as well as other positions, they will be fine until an eventual decision is made. Great discussions

7. EastOfRaleigh

??

I know this gets suggested often; how many girls in NC have actually done this (give up HS ball to go 100% travel)? I have heard it is common in the western US.

and would it be the player that would give up playing w/ her longtime community friends that she probably grew up with, or would it be parent intervention?

8. EastOfRaleigh

OK

cheeze, I realize fully that many schools may only have 1 varsity pitcher that can consistently throw strikes and in many cases dominate the opposing batters, and thus give the team its best chance to win. and I understand that it's a tough decision to go to a 2nd pitcher if the other team is staying with their ace.

9. sports buff

sports buff Full Access Member

Thanks east of Raleigh. Why is it that someone always states give up friends, a time during the week to bring the community together to enjoy the talents of the kids in their areas,and the consistant practicing to help your skills. Where I live grandmothers,aunts,uncles,grandfathers, fellow classmates,and ball junkies can see a game. A game that can be talked about at breakfast at the local cafe the next day.A real chance to see that kid that travels around everywhere. Playing in her backyard.Also I've seen some impressive crowds with just as many coaches at those game as at some tournaments. Also getting to be on the front page of the sports page. Telling her overall story of home,school, and yes TB. This creating interest of young girls who someday will be in their shoes. One last thing, for as long as I've been coming on this Board. Not once have I read a HS coach saying they need to quit playing TB.

10. betterbatter

betterbatter Full Access Member

The problem is that travel ball isn't real softball. It'll never be real softball until they throw the clock away and quit rushing through games. Drop dead format (showcases). No press, limited fans.

TB does serve valuable purposes. Showcases display talent for college coaches whose season conflicts with the HS season. TB allows players to work on their skills after the HS season, playing with and against good talent, which is good for the full spectrum of HS programs.

As for the "stupid rules", lets not forget that athletes are also students working on their education.