1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

If you could change anything in HS baseball

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

As long as he is not coaching more than 8 players from his team, than there is no rule violation. If the coach is following proper rules, why does that seem to bother you?

Areas through out our state have summer HS leagues. Teams where every player participating is coached by their school coach. It seems like the controversy is brought up when it only involves travel teams. Now, that doesn't seem right.

The great thing about summer ball is you are given choices. Some want to continue to play for their HS coach...some want to get as far away as possible
    ...and some want an opportunity to be coached by someone different. There are benefits to any of the choices.

2. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

Love the education standard. Smart kid.

3. Play Ball

Play Ball Full Access Member

I hear this is coming, but I would hate to see fewer student athletes participating in these programs. After school sports programs provide teenagers a healthy outlet for their energy and provide valuable life lessons as a framework for their futures. There are many terrific coaches who are positive mentors and role models for these students as well.

4. Braves

I couldn't agree more. I hope it never comes to that, but I won't be surprised. Spring sports are considered step children (and costly one's) to the people that make financial decisions in school districts.

5. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

Not that it wouldn't be nice to have 3-man umpiring crews at the high school level; but, I have to admit to a chuckle when I consider that professional baseball relies on 2 all the way up though the Advanced A level. Three-man crews aren't employed until the AA and AAA levels are reached. DI colleges, in the meantime, use 3-man crews for conference games and 2-man crews for non-conference games.

6. PutMeInCoach

PutMeInCoach I Love This Game

I wouldn't change anything. Love to go and watch my son and his friends compete and enjoy the game.

7. Braves

Outstanding!!!!

8. SCCStar88

SCCStar88 Junior Member

I dint mean any disrespct but a HS coach should be dedicated to his HS team and not do anything cause division among players. I mean, skill is important but you build a bond during the season with your coach. But to have to play against him doesnt seem right. We even had a player that left outr HS team to go play for t travel and HS coach.I can see a coach taking his entire team and keeping them together and giving players a choice but it aint right. Yu can state all the rules you want but in the longrun it aint right. Im just sayin rules should be that a HS coach can only coach his players on the HS team.

9. Braves

I respect your opinion, but you brought up many points, so I'm breaking them down to better understand your points. Since we all agree that HS coaches are poorly paid, isn't it acceptable tthat they try to supplement their income in doing something they do best...coaching? HS coaches have coached American Legion for decades: (Many times players from the coach's HS team are zoned for another Legion team) I played against my HS coach every year I participated in Legion and loved the games we had to go up against him.

Is that any different than going to play Legion ball for an opposing coach? Happens every summer when South Meck players have to play for Myers Park Legion team. Many players for Cherryville have to play for the East Rutherford coach each summer (but I know they love the experience and don't mind it a bit)...or is it "travel ball" coaching that seems to upset you?

I still don't understand what "ain't" right? Are you saying a HS coach shouldn't coach anyone, but his own players? What about the areas that have don't have HS leagues? What should a coach do? He shouldn't coach American Legion or Showcase baseball? We should take away his ability to do what he does best---coaching kids?

Why should a HS coach be held to a higher standard than a college coach (they coach legion teams) or any other baseball coach for that matter. All anyone should care about is if he is a good coach and can you learn from him? If he is a good coach be thankful that you had an oportunity to learn from him. If he is not a good coach, be thankful you don't have to play for him all year.

I clearly have no understanding why you insist that he "must' coach his own players when many areas don't have summer HS teams... and you can't make a rule or a change if it doesn't affect everyone.

I dunno...I guess it's how you look at it. I always enjoyed playing against and trying to defeat my HS coach-- it was always a challenge. It reminds me of a converstaion I had with a bright father one day. I was asking him if his son was going to play for the Dirtbags this year. He said, "which is better, going 4-4 playing with them or going 4-4 playing against them". I guess it's how you look at it.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  10. coachsnead

coachsnead Full Access Member

The perfect change for HS baseball

I think all high school baseball fields should be built like police interrogation rooms. The field should be surrounded by special glass that allows the spectators to see and hear what is going on inside the field, but does not let the players or coaches see or hear what is going on outside the field. I think this change makes perfect sense. It allows the fans to enjoy the game as they always have, but finally lets the players and coaches enjoy the game too.

Just a little humor for the thread. Keep the change suggestions coming.