1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Illegal pitch?

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by JavelinCatcher, Apr 21, 2009.

1. JavelinCatcher

JavelinCatcher Full Access Member

I don't think either ump had a dog is this fight Guru but you never know...

2. CoachTammy

CoachTammy Full Access Member

I have actually been called on this one. If a girl is walked and the pitcher gets the ball back and is standing on the pitching rubber, the girl rounds 1st, at this point she has to advance to 2nd or she is out! If she makes any advance while the pitcher is on the rubber she has to commit to 2nd. Now, if the pitcher is not on the rubber she can make the turn and then come back.

3. JefferMC

JefferMC Full Access Member

I've stayed out of this part of the discussion because the rules are murky. It depends on who's rules you're using for the game. Here are ASA's rules. I wish I had a computerized copy of the NFHS rules.

Note that this (the case that the pitcher has the ball in the circle prior to her reaching first) contradicts the normal situation that it doesn't matter which way the runner turns after overrunning first as long as she doesn't attempt second.​

4. Crazyforgame

Crazyforgame Junior Member

Illegal Pitch, Rounding First on Ball Four

Just found this site. I have to say the title does it justice. It rocks.

My understanding of the question about the back foot staying on the ground is that it may not leave the ground until the front foot touches down. Both feet may not be in the air at the same time. Otherwise it is a leap and an illegal pitch. It is OK for the rear foot to leave the ground once the front foot touches down.

Someone else brought up the question of whether or not a player may round 1st base after walking if the pitcher already has the ball back in the circle.(I am sure that being in the circle is what is important-not whether they are on the rubber or not.) I am not sure on this one but I would think it would be no different than a runner advancing to second base on a batted ball. If the runner rounds second and the pitcher has the ball in hand in the circle and makes no play on the runner, the runner has to continue to third without stopping or must return to second immediately. The runner may not stop and go to third. If they stop, they must return to 2nd immediately.

I have a couple of other specific rules questions and a general question about NFHS rules that I am going to start in a new thread. I could use a little help trying to understand these things.

Thanks