1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Illegal Pitches.....

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by marlinfan1, Jun 3, 2010.

1. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

OK, OK, if I had not started this thread then somebody else would have for sure. We all agree that here has been an "oddity" in the calling of an illegal pitch in the NCAAs. So, now what????

Are you Dad/Mom gonna tell your kid its ok to believe in how you have been taught and say the hell with it, or adjust to whats handed to you?

What if you were an umpire, WOW!, now this is cool, how does this gig affect how you call a game?

Be honest now folks, Put on the umps hat and tell us how you see it.

2. scfan

scfan Full Access Member

Lookimg at it from an umpires point of veiw. i can't worry about what all the other umpires did or didn't call all year. If i know it is illegal and i see it I have to call it or I'm not doing my job. In my opinion the fault lies with every coach who ever coached these pitchers including the college ones. They know the rules and if they don't fix it it is their own fault. Don't give me this "they've pitched like that their whole life" stuff. If your their coach now it is your responsibility to fix it. You should have known that when you recuited them.

3. 4TheLuvOfTheGame

4TheLuvOfTheGame Member

My DD starting playing TB when she was 10, and I have got to say the umpires have played a big role in helping my daughter to stay legal, 1st it was coming together twice, then not draging the toe until the ball left the hand, then last year she was called for not staying in the pitching lane, and she was even made to change her shoe laces, because they were to bright. But we did not complain, my daughter would work hard to fix it. Just because some umpires dont call it all the time, does not mean it is legal, kudos to the umpires that get it right, especially at the early stage! My advice to coach's that pitchers get called for an illegal pitch, don't complain, fix it and help the pitcher along her journey to be a better pitcher!!

4. cmmguy

cmmguy *

+1

5. jjsphotos

jjsphotos Full Access Member

hate i missed you man. i did talk to a couple of umps. one said he had called one girl 8 times in the first 2 innings. for going to the glove twice in one motion and for replanting. said he told her if she would dig out the front of the rubber so her toe was always pointing down he wouldnt have to keep calling it.

and since they were calling it at the college level hopefully it would take some of the heat off them calling it in HS

6. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

Sounds like they could dig a little trench and the ump wouldn't see it. I guess they just need to keep it below sea level.

7. 2dddad

2dddad Full Access Member

At Walnut Creek there were a couple of illegal pitches called against a pitcher in the first inning. The coach went ballistic with the umps. It was never called again and she threw illegal the rest of the game. Everybody knew she was pitching illegal. Even the umps watching the game that I know said she was illegal almost every pitch. If you do not have the gonads to call a game get off the field. Her foot replanted 18 inches from the rubber. ILLEGAL PITCH !!! Look at the photos of the game. I start the first of every year correcting illegal pitching so that we play by the rules. Either enforce the rules or change them.

8. ptp

ptp Member

Agreed

Been looking at photos from Walnut Creek and two of the state champion pitchers are clearly off the ground in every pic. Wonder if the ASA umps will call it this summer? Have to believe the college coaches will take it into consideration when recruiting.

9. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

...where are the photos?

Fish

10. ptp

ptp Member

Sent you link via PM.