1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Impact Baseball Breaking News

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Stretchlon, Sep 9, 2008.

1. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

huh?

how so?

2. LClefty04

LClefty04 Full Access Member

Because with football you have a whole semester plus summer to get ready for the season. That gives you more time to learn the playbook and spend time with your coaches and teammates. You also have a whole semester of lifting, running and practice to get ready for the upcoming season. There are more reasons why it is better to enter early for football but thats a few of them. If you signed your letter of intent to play football, I find no reason to sit around for a semester of high school(unless you want too) when you could be earning a starting spot as a freshman.

With baseball you enter early and have the chance to miss out on the draft. If your a good prospect and have a chance of going high, why go to college and make nothing when you can get drafted and have some money to invest and save up. If the coach has promised him playing time(which if he did is stupid) then I can see him taking it and going. The only problem is if he gets there and doesn't produce, then missed out on his senior year and missed out on being drafted. If he has the intentions of redshirting then thats a great move on his part and he has a semester on incoming freshman of college lifting and running. If he goes there and earns a starting spot and produces as a freshman, then all the power to him and it turns out to be a great move on his part.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  3. 007

007 Full Access Member

Although this is a logical progression of the early recruiting trend, I don't think it's going to catch on at the DI level. Most of the best blue chip prospects may be willing to skip their senior season, but not the MLB draft.

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Lefty- just so you know, Levi Michael will be the starting ss at UNC for the next 3 years (barring injury). I love Josh Horton amd Michael does not have his bat power (yet), but UNC has never had a SS like Levi Michael.....ever. In fact, there are not many schools that ever has.

I will go out on the limb and say even though Levi will be the youngest player on the team, he will still play like a man against boys....he's that good!

5. LClefty04

Did Fox tell you this himself? Or do you have a statement from Fox saying Levi will be starting?

No offense to you Braves or anyone on here that knows Levi. But saying he will be starting doesn't do any justice why he should enroll early. You never know how players will transfer to the next level. Some players get better and some go the opposite way. I know for a fact that UNC will bring in the top recruits so the job is not going to be handed to him and wonder in 4 years who's going to take his spot. I hope everyone on here is right when they say he is legit but I wouldn't go to Vegas saying he will be starting there the next 3 years. He has to go in every year and beat out the talent brought in or the talent already in the program to earn his spot. I wish him the best of luck but I have to see over the next 3 years that he will play instead of someone telling me.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  6. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I understand your skepticism. I have a strong opinion and one I will hold to until proven otherwise. But it's just my opinion. It doesn't bother me in the least if nobody shares my belief. I just think you're a "little nuts" in not trusting me

You asked me if Fox has personally told me this. Nope, he hasn't called
    lately...but he should. But I also said that Josh Horton would start as a freshman and play ss all 3 years. I also said Josh would be one of the leaders even though he was a freshman. Lefty.....when it comes to baseball and evaluating players---I would take me to Vegas. But that's my opinon

7. LClefty04

You stand behind what you believe which I give you props for. I don't see how some people comprehend going early to college and not waiting to see if you get drafted. College will be there unless you screw up in one semester, having a chance to play pro ball is not for everyone.

8. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

Braves posted this in another thread: "These posts keep bringing thoughts to mind. What most HS players don't realize when they get to college is this. All of the players on your team were HS studs. So what is going to make the difference in you playing or them?

I can promise you this. No matter how good you think you are, something in college is going to happen that will set you back. Injuries, grades, girls, lack of maturity, competition etc. But something will!

Now, the test of character will be revealed. How tough are you?

I think this applies to all players. I trust Levi's. I have known and followed him since he was about 9. He and my son played travel ball together for a few years. It is true nothing is written in stone and he has an great road ahead of him. Just always remember that EVERY player faces the above. And we have no idea how they will make those choices. Good luck kid..

9. cbsconsult

cbsconsult Full Access Member

Division 1 Eligibility

Division I
    2008 and Later
    If you enroll in a Division I college on or after August 1, 2008, and
    want to participate in athletics or receive an athletics scholarship
    during your first year, you must:
    • Graduate from high school;
    • Complete these 16 core courses:
    - 4 years of English
    - 3 years of math (algebra 1 or higher)
    - 2 years of natural or physical science (including one year of lab
    science if offered by your high school)
    - 1 extra year of English, math or natural or physical science
    - 2 years of social science
    - 4 years of extra core courses (from any category above, or
    foreign language, nondoctrinal religion or philosophy);
    • Earn a minimum required grade-point average in your core
    courses; and
    • Earn a combined SAT or ACT sum score that matches your core course
    grade-point average and test score sliding scale on page
    9 (for example, a 2.400 core-course grade-point average needs
    an 860 SAT).

10. Diamond Rat

Diamond Rat Full Access Member

As someone said earlier, maybe he doesn't want to know if he got drafted so that he will go to college with no pressure the other way (in MLB). IMO, not many things in life can compare to having a college degree. (I have never seen him play) But if Levi is as good as what I hear, he will go anyways, and if he keeps producing like most people speculate, then he may go higher for more money. After all if he gets hurt in college, chances are he would've gotten hurt in the pros too. So to me whats the difference? At least if he gets hurt in college he has something to fall back on.

Long story short: Nothing compares to a college degree, because what you guys about competing for a spot on a college level, EVERY YEAR, is EVERY DAY, at a MLB level. What I'm saying is someone can come in, on a baseball field, due to injury or any reason at all, and take it away. But no one can take away a college degree.