1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Impact Baseball Breaking News

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Stretchlon, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

$$$ - girlfriend = 0... that's funny!

As this discussion goes back and forth a couple thoughts come to mind...

First, maybe Levi isn't ready to leap into the pro ball life quite yet. This is not in any way a shortcoming on his part. How many 17-18 yr. olds are ready? Here in NC we have the greatest example of a good kid ending up on the wrong path, Josh Hamilton. It has worked out well for Josh in the long run, mainly because he is an absolute freak on the baseball field! There are a lot of guys out their that we've never heard of that didn't make it back from that wrong path. If family finances dictated it, then I'm sure Levi, and his family, would be spending the next nine months targeting the draft. With the decision that's been made, he now has three years to mature physically, mentally and "basebally". The scouts know the way to Chapel Hill!

My second thought goes back to Lassiter. Evidently, the word was out on draft day that he was more interested in UNC than MLB, therefore the later round pick. Now, do you think he came out ahead by signing, or did he "leave money on the table"? What could he have demanded three years from now? Or, where would he have gone this year if he had been openly on the draft board for all teams? Something to ponder.

What it comes down to is what makes the player, and his family, feel most comfortable at this stage in their baseball and personal lives. Make your decision and don't look back. Take care of now and the future will take care of it's self.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  2. LClefty04

LClefty04 Full Access Member

You never tell them your intentons or what you want. you let MBL scouts decide for themselves and see what they offer if anything.

Always have a good fall back plan(like going to UNC) but you leave the guessing up to the scouts and put the pressure on them.

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

hahahaha...see I told you you are mature

Yes, TJ told me, I believe, last week, He is excited for you.

4. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

As double ought 7 has given me the name of "The Human Thread Changer", I do try to stay on topic, but sometimes I just try to keep a topic going.

So, speaking of the money, I will always admire Rudi Maybin. He made sure that Cameron's bonus money went right to the Bank/Invest. He told Cameron if he wanted to live like a millionaire he would have to do so on his next contract, but this one ain't gettin' touched.

5. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

I agree Lefty

But in Lassiter's case, evidently a decision had been made before the draft to go to UNC. $600,000+ changed that decision!
    In both cases, there was some "backroom politicing'" going on for these guys to end up where they are!

6. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

The neat part of this story: Growing up, Levi always said his 'dream' was to play for the Tarheels. So he's now about to 'live his dream'. How many of us can say that?

His parents are not wealthy, but love of money isn't what drives the Michaels. So the Kid was raised the right way...old school values. He's a 4.0 student who wants first to play college. I have to say...I like it. Just wish it was Kentucky!!

7. SoutherNo1

SoutherNo1 Full Access Member

Remember Bill, it's Tar Heels, not tarheels and we're gaining on you.(lol)

8. 3play

3play Full Access Member

It's pretty simple really.......

Sometime's it reallly isn't about the money........................

9. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

Rooting for Levi will be really easy. Rooting against the Heels team will continue to be easy too. Satan owns my soul on this one.

10. NCMtnBBDad

NCMtnBBDad NCMtnBBDad

To say what school name is on your college diploma has NO bearing on what type of job you get is just not accurate.