1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Impact Baseball

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Nuff Ced

Nuff Ced Full Access Member

". . . the truth hurts more than any lie ever will . . ."

2. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

More "truth," as I see it:

Since the formation of Impact Baseball, players throughout the Carolina's and Virginia are MUCH more visible to college recruiters and professional scouts...AND, they're more knowledgeable about the process.

Many thanks to Andy and his team!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I am typing it up as I'm reading this. I am really looking forward to it. It will be fun!!

4. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Can't wait to read it Braves... WOW! Sometimes the truth can have a sting to it. I would definitely like to read what Andy has to say!!

5. NC-dad

NC-dad Full Access Member

I agree for the most part kid with talent will be seen by someone.
    Will he be seen by the school that he wants to attend?
    Will he be seen by a pro scout?
    Maybe -maybe not!
    The whole premise behind showcases are to get exposure!
    The colleges and scouts will get to see kids vs other kids with talent!
    How they do against these Kids with talent determines what level they are at
    and or what level they need to be at. Talent is not what you do against a team your school beat 10-0!
    Will your son get his money's worth at an IMpact Baseball Showcase?
    Yes!
    What he does at the showcase is not up to Andy or anyone else.
    So why are we blaming him?
    Everyone who attends a showcase will not be happy!
    Reality is a hard thing to digest sometimes!

Thank You Andy Partin for everything you have done for us and North Carolina!! :applause: :applause:

6. rcbbfan

rcbbfan Full Access Member

To all you folks out there that are/have '05, '06, '07.....etc......take heed. You will NOT get better advise or information than what guys like Braves, NCBBallFan, Prepster, NC-dad, or even IMPACTBB offer ANYWHERE. HSBASEBALLWEB is a great national source, but these guys are "the cream of the crop" when it comes to HS baseball in NC.

7. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

Ditto...

I agree! Parents (well alot) feel or think their son is twice as good as he really is! This is a fact! Reality checks hit home hard, early and often as they approach and begin/continue to play thru HS! Bottm line is "if" he is good enuf and works his *** off everything will take care of itself! JMHO :scared2: :scared2:

8. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

:xyzthumbs.. another thing that's difficult to judge is how well a player will perform under pressure. One of the things I love is the intensity during conference games in the SW4A. To see a player perform at a high level during a South Meck vs Providence game shows a side of a player not noticed at a typical summer or fall game. Some players will rise to the occasion...others will fold. Some will make the key hit...some will make the key error. Playing under pressure separates the boys from the men.

How many times have you seen a talented JV player not able to "step up" at the varsity level?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  9. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

It's not just the "pressure performance" that I look for (though that's great to receive), it's their response overall to the pressure situation. Are they anxious, keyed-up, tight??????

You can't measure anyone by a single game performance (even if it's a high pressure game) since every one can have an 0-4 night at the plate, or have a poor outing on the mound.

I'd want to see if they change their approach at the plate ... if they try to overthrow off the mound ... if they try to do too much in the field ...

Talent is extremely important, but 90% of the game is played between your ears. If a guy has never thrown the ball from the RF fence to home without going through his cutoff man, I want him to hit that cutoff man during the big game. If a guys game on the mound is to throw 80-81 and hit the corners, I don't want to see him cranking 83-85 on adrenaline and lose the control. If he has a short compact swing and normally hit singles, I don't want to see him "swinging from his heels".

People talk about asking a player to give "110 percent effort". There isn't any such thing. It's mathmatically impossible. If a guy is giving more than his normal share of effort, then he's slacking off normally.

Asking for that "110 percent effort" is asking a player to attempt things that are on the border-line of his ability. Not a great formula for winning baseball. That guy up against the fence in RF may air-out a throw to the catcher and nail the guy at the plate once ... the next 4 times, he may send it 20 feet up the line or dribble it to the plate or overthrow the catcher completely. It's a play that is outside of his ability to control "at this point in time". He can hit the cutoff man consistently. He can let his head rule his emotions, instead of the other way around.

10. WNCBB

WNCBB Full Access Member

Showcase events are a great way for a player to step up and get noticed, especially if he plays in the western part of the state or at a small school that dosen't get much attention. Andy does a great job of promoting players that truly have talent regardless of the their school's classification or geographic location. He also does a lot behind the scene to promote players once they have established themselves as a legitimate prospects. Fortunately, my son plays for a high profile program that gets a lot of exposure, but many talented players are not that lucky. He attended Impact's underclassman showcase as a rising Sohpomore last fall in Wilmington, and as in Highntight's case, it proved to be a very productive weekend. Bottom line....if you have son or know a player that has talent and has the desire to put it on display, I would encourage him to sign him up for the next Impact Showcase.