1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Impact Scoreboard

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by ncbaseball34, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I completely understand where respectthegame is coming from, although I totally disagree with the personal attacks towards Andy Partin. He is old school that doesn't like the "play for play" concept and actually tries to do something about that. Basically, he puts his money where his mouth is.

I believe most of us would prefer that baseball was played the way we grew up with, but we are too far away for us to get back to that. It ain't going to happen.

I use this example a lot (info gathered from Prepster.) In 2002 there were 3 kids from NC on the ACC teams...3 kids!!!! Now you can find an entire HS team with 9 players committed to the next level. Showcase baseball made this happen.

The question I have is this: Does your son really want to play at the next level...or is it you?

A college baseball player will have 2 full time, tough jobs. Academics and Baseball. They both require a commitment...and a special young man to do both. You find many talented baseball players decide that they want to be college students and enjoy their years as a student. I find that commendable and in many cases, a wise and thoughtful decision.

Playing HS and summer-fall baseball for all players should not be for a 25% scholarship and a dream to play in the major leagues. If you are good enough that will happen. It should be about having fun and enjoying your experience. If that is playing with the Dirtbags or playing Legion baseball...if you are having fun...that's the priority.

2. feartheturtle

feartheturtle Full Access Member

And that's in a nutshell...play for the love of the game, and whenever your time comes leave it with no regrets and fond memories. And then hopefully you will have the opportunity one day to pass on your love of the game to another generation.

3. Respectthegame

Respectthegame Full Access Member

Oops! I stand corrected. I meant 3 kids from the Charlotte area. At the time (2001) they held the ACC tournament at Knights Castle in Ft Mill. Reading the team rosters showed 3 players from our area. Charlotte certainly had quite a few talented baseball players, but it was puzzling why this area only produced 3. That's when Mike Shildt decided to do something about it. He started On Deck Academy--a year long training baseball organization. In 2003, every player on his team that was eligible received a college offer--2 of them, Daniel Bard and Robert Woodard, attended an ACC school. Since that time, the ACC schools are flooded with Charlotte area kids, as well as others throughout the state.

Over the past 10 years, TBR has been down this road too many times (Legion vs Showcase) for me to discuss again. It's why I created another forum specifically for American Legion. I'll be happy to provide links from past discussions, but I have no interest in getting involved in it. However, I agree completely with your statement, "college coaches go where the talent is."....and for most of them it's under one roof (a tournament)

Cool story! He shares a trait with most others that are successful in baseball or in business....he works his butt off and he is determined. I wish him all the success.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2012
  4. LOLLIE

LOLLIE Full Access Member

:yamyam: Yum Yum eat up haters...yum yum:yamyam:

5. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

A Better Word

You want a better word than insignificant.....

How about just plain old JEALOUS.

By the way, I played Legion ball back in the day before it too became insignificant.

6. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Dang...sorry Respectthegame. I didn't mean to edit your post with quotes. whew!!!!!I've been gone too long from TBR.

It's been a few years since this argument has come up. I won't close the thread so for those of you that want to discuss it...have at it.

7. Respectthegame

In order to be jealous then I would want to do what they do or want what they have. I do not want either. Have been asked many times why I don't have a showcase team and that is simple, I don't believe in the concept. Have all the resources necessary to do that, but no thanks. Sorry, not trying to egg you on come up with something else, but jealous....not even close.

I hear the gun to the head argument and that is valid, but there is pressure sometimes for kids & parents to participate and I lay the blame on the kids & parents for that; however, once they are in, I've heard multiple stories of fear to leave before being signed because the positive comments about a player turn south quickly.

What is a true percentage of kids retained within the program after they sign letters of intent?? That is a true report card of the health & happiness of a program.

8. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

American Legion Board

Please go back to the legion board. Had you posted this nonsense there no one would have even noticed.

By the way I'm not aware of one Dirtbag that left the program after they signed their NLI.
    They all leave the program right after the Jupiter event in Oct. BEFORE they sign their NLI's.

Get a clue.

9. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

Chad you have a PM

Chad I just sent you a PM with my name and cell phone number. I didn't want you accusing me of hiding behind a screen name and I see that one coming.

I'm simply not going to sit back and watch some small town junior legion coach libel/slander a man who did absolutely nothing to deserve it.

If you want to be mad, be mad at me. I called you out. You make me sick.

If we ever meet and you feel like punching me in the nose (like your buddy said) then go for it.

10. Respectthegame

Aguyyouknow, I can disagree with you without being mad. I am very comfortable with who I am and what I believe in; therefore, you can do your best to get a rise out of me and no matter what it will not lead to a physical confrontation. I know how to simply walk away. That was a far different time of my life of which I am not proud of. I did get a smile outta the junior legion attempted slight. There are some super people involved with junior legion so I take that as a compliment. Thank you!!

So these guys sign their NLI in November of their junior year of high school, right?? And none of those guys play for the Dirtbags the summer going into their senior year?? I've known one in particular that played the summer after his senior year before going to play ball at a SEC school. Please clarify the timeline for a small town junior legion coach so I can understand better.