1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Independence Day Tourney,Colorado

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by bugsdad, Jun 29, 2010.

1. softballphreak

softballphreak Full Access Member

I used to wonder about that, also. But after reading many opinions and looking at the number of teams and the many locations throughout the country from where the teams come I now believe it is one of the best things a team can do.

My question now is why can't we have a tournament here in NC that draws teams from all over the country?

2. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

...No problem with your post FPSfriend......every year, every season, and every generation of kids go through the same decisions on where to or not to play.

TBR folks will speak their minds as junior members, senior members, and folks like me who have no life but to be part of such a great forum.
    All of us can be right, wrong, and damn near ignorant.

Going to Fla. or Col. is a very special gig that puts our kids in front of the best of the best.

Coaches come from all over the USA to these events because they are cost effective for them and their university budgets......and the NCAA has regs on how many days coaches can go see kids. Not only are there "dead periods" where coaches are disalloowed contact with possible recruits, they also have like X "appearances" at tourneys. That adds up when the head coach, the 2 assistant coaches and the pitching coach go out to recruit.

HMMMMM, 4 coaches spread out 4 days = 16 days in the NCAA regs.

Now, if you were looking for talent, and you knew that you had a stud in your area, and you saw her play against the so called best ....all the while watching bookoos of other kids, and she rocked, might it not be possible that the coach would place a higher value and schollie $ towards that kid?

Big fish in a little pond is cool, big fish in a big pond is.........nuff said.

FishDaddy

3. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

very well said Fish... and I agree with Freak also... build it here and they will come

4. prklandsoftballdad

prklandsoftballdad Set my brother FREE!!

Ummm..isn't that why we've started the East Coast Fireworks that is played in Raleigh this weekend. Not big enough to spread out over the whole week, but it's only 2 or 3 years old. Gotta give it time.....
    "Patience is a virtue"

5. softball_56

softball_56 Full Access Member

In the fall of 2006 I was watching my dd play college ball in a Winthrop tournament. Also there was a showcase in the rock hill area that I was going to see as well, our college coach asked me to be on the lookout for a lead-off batter for fall 2007. Went to see showcase game, sat down in bleachers, 1st girl up to bat was a lefthanded slapper, she promptly drove one to left center fence and was standing on 3rd before ball got back in. I said, well I just found coach a lead-off batter after watching her in just 1 at bat. There were 4 folks sitting behind me in bleachers cheering. I asked if they knew her and if she'd signed. They said yes, that's are dd Kelly Grieve and she just signed with Tennessee. Well it doesn't take much to pick out a blue chipper. If a college coach or anyone for that matter has been around the game long enough, you should be able to pick out a blue chipper playing ball on any venue, on any field in the country. Just another thought. Thanks.

6. Dawgswood

Dawgswood Full Access Member

There is no right answer and this is worn out in the same thread every year. If a team wants to play in THE BEST tournaments to be seen by all schools not just NC schools then more power to them. I will say that certainly all the major schools in NC think its worth paying for their coaches to go to Colorado because all of them are there. If you aspire to attend one of these major NC schools they want to see you play against the best and thats why you go. Again, if a players dream is to play for a small school you'd be foolish to spend the dough. BUT if you want to play at a major school you need to have yourself judged against the best players nationally thats why you go.

7. Dawgswood

Dawgswood Full Access Member

What school?

8. amish

amish Full Access Member

regional vs national...is no right answer

The reason threads on this topic get out of hand is that these are complicated, personal decisions. There is no black or white/right or wrong. Like arguing politics or religion. You can find examples to support any side of the argument.

It's an individual by individual decision this involves a lot of different variables. Each family is driven by different influences. e.g. what do others I know do? what can I afford? where do I want to go to school? etc... Only the family can decide what's right for them and why.

When I discuss the topic of playing "regionally" vs. "nationally" with families, I start by interviewing them, forcing them to verbalize their goals. We then discuss the pros and cons of both approaches based on the goals. The net result is that some decide to play regionally and some play nationally. Either way, I support them 100% because it's their decision.

Best of luck to everyone playing this weekend, where ever that may be.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  9. GoBucks70

GoBucks70 Junior Member

What's the difference between the Boulder and the Longmont Brackets? Is one better than the other? How do they decide who gets into what bracket?

10. bugsdad

bugsdad Full Access Member

Day 3

Cardinals -Chandler 0
    Az. Hot Shots 3

Cardinals-Chandler 8
    San Jose Sharks 1