1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Indy allowed to play

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by smashmouth5, Nov 21, 2007.

1. THE 5TH CRUSADER

THE 5TH CRUSADER THE TRUTH DETECTOR

You people have it all wrong.The difference is Indy is a winner.South Meck? Football? :dozey: Football? :surrender:

In life you have to go with a winner.So all you rich South Meck parents please shut the hell up.South Meck, OK. If they had been allowed to play you probably would have lost by 30 .So the way I see it CMS saved you from another ass kicking .Be thankful.

2. The Warden

The Warden Full Access Member

What is the difference? Both teams broke rules and both teams either should have been allowed to play or forfeit. You cant find middle ground in this. And since South Meck was forced to forfeit, Independence should forfeit as well. I could care less how good Indy is, rules are rules. If you cant follow by them, you shouldnt play.

3. THE 5TH CRUSADER

THE 5TH CRUSADER THE TRUTH DETECTOR

Indy going for a record 8th title.South Meck...who gives a damn:byebw:

4. Wise One

Wise One No Doubt

This does indeed smell of the old double standard. Either both teams should have been allowed to play or both should have be disqualified from the playoffs.

5. goodoleburkeco

goodoleburkeco Player Hater

Maybe so but the stigma that has FINALLY stuck to Indy will now cause more people to watch them. I still don't know how the coach that came in from Porter Ridge didn't know the kid that played for him at Porter Ridge was not living with whom he said he was. (3 different addresses?) You can say the coaching staff didn't know, but you'd be a moron to really think that.

This 8th go at the title might end at 8.

6. HighMaintenance

HighMaintenance HighMaintenance

LANGSTON WERTZ JR.

[email protected]

Player removed, but team plays on

Jimmy Yokeley, whose son Jey was ruled ineligible hours before South Mecklenburg was to play its first high school football playoff game in 13 years, said Wednesday that Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools can make a simple rule change to help with sports eligibility.

Yokeley said CMS officials in student placement, who he said asked his son in January whether he played sports, should have given the family more direction about sports eligibility.

"There's a total disconnect at CMS student placement," Jimmy Yokeley said Wednesday in an interview with the Observer. "There's no connection as to whether that student may potentially play a sport. In hindsight, I would strongly suggest CMS consider implementing that. It's a very easy step."

The team learned of the ineligibility ruling Nov. 9, about 25 minutes before it was to board the bus for its first-round game at Central Cabarrus. South Mecklenburg (7-4) also forfeited its regular-season wins.

Jimmy Yokeley said his family met twice with officials at Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools' student placement services -- in January and in July -- to enroll and re-enroll Jey at South Mecklenburg, where he became a star quarterback.

Both times, Jimmy Yokeley said, his family never asked specifically about sports eligibility, which would require a legal transfer of guardianship to Jey's grandparents, with whom he now lives.

When the family walked into the January meeting, Jimmy Yokeley said a CMS official looked at Jey, who is 6-foot-4 and nearly 200 pounds, and asked if he played sports.

"I play basketball and football," Jey replied.

Jimmy Yokeley said his parents asked if a legal transfer of guardianship was necessary.

Student placement officials told them no, Jimmy Yokeley said. Such a transfer is necessary to play sports, but he said his family never asked specifically about sports eligibility and student placement services never mentioned it.

"They did not mislead us," Jimmy Yokeley said. "I truly believe it was a complete act of omission."

CMS spokesperson Nora Carr said student placement is not trained to provide sports information.

"That kind of determination needs to be made by the AD at the school," Carr said, "or if there's a question ... that would go to the district athletic department."

When South Mecklenburg athletics director Mike Jones checked players' eligibility before the season, he apparently did not catch that Jey needed a legal guardianship transfer. Jones declined an Observer interview request this week.

After a rigorous screening process, CMS had Jimmy Yokeley sign an "in locos parentis" statement, which Carr said means "someone acting in place of the parents."

"They give you permission to attend school for academic reasons," Carr said, "but they have nothing to do with sports eligibility."

For 13 years, Jimmy and Sheila Yokeley lived in the Park Crossing neighborhood in the middle of the South Meck zone.

They were near Jimmy Yokeley's parents, Jim and Judy, who have lived down the road from South Meck for 30 years. Jimmy moved his wife and kids to Union County before his daughter, Jordan, started her junior year at Weddington High. Jey started there as a freshman in 2004.

In January 2006, Jimmy Yokeley took a new job with the N.C. State Port Authority in Wilmington. He put his house up for sale. His wife, Sheila, would stay behind until it sold.

Jordan was in college at Alabama. Jey asked to go with his father and enrolled at Wilmington Hoggard, hoping to get acclimated. In a few months, though, Jey got homesick. Jimmy's job caused him to travel, and the Union County house wasn't selling.

That summer, Jey told his family he wanted to stay in the Charlotte area and finish school. Jey moved in with his grandparents and enrolled at Charlotte Christian in the fall of 2006 for his junior year.

But by last Christmas, the cost of having a son at a private school and a daughter at Alabama -- plus supporting two households -- became too much for Jimmy Yokeley.

A month later, the family met with CMS about moving Jey to South Meck.

Everybody in town knew the circumctances of his Mom`s cancer. They had awareness rallies, sold ribbons, news & sports stories... the whole deal..

I knew & I`m in Gastonese County ..

7. softballmom35

softballmom35 softball diva

This is just my opinion but an illegal player is an illegal player.
    Of course Indy will catch a break, different rules for the 7 time state champs right? I hate that any team has to forfeit because of an illegal player but if one school is going to be punished then so should the other.
    Just my two cents.
    GO CAVS!!!!

8. HighMaintenance

HighMaintenance HighMaintenance

It`s sad how little the school administration people know.

After having a gifted kid go through school ...

( including a nationally know prep high school and college)

thus jumping through all the hoops..

I dealt with a well know high school with a ninth grader and the didn`t even know what the 48H form was.

(it is the list of courses that the particular HS offers that the NCAA recognises.)

https://web1.ncaa.org/eligibilitycenter/common/

It`s a must to have when planning the classes a kid must take over 4 years to be NCAA eligible.

( can`t wait til 12th grade )

But, when they can`t even get past HOME ADDRESS paperwork..

then someboy needs to be replaced.

9. billybobblockhead

billybobblockhead Full Access Member

BINGO. Great post. Two (or three) totally different situations.

What follows is an official "I have no dog in this fight post":

The thing that stinks about this is that S. Meck thought they were doing the right thing but missed the one thing that was ultimately their undoing, the legal guardianship of the player, which cost the whole team. The Indy dude just flat out lied, and when it was found out they sat him immediately, then gave him the boot. Although it doesn't look it, these are VERY different situations.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  10. breakwater

breakwater Full Access Member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007