1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Intentional Walks

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by rangeroo22, May 21, 2006.

1. CanAmMan

CanAmMan Full Access Member

I agree that all umpires need to be better trained. The only thing with having a camp that lasts a couple of days is some umps do not have that much time. Now maybe if they did something where they could do stuff on a couple of weekends and in each region to where the umps could still have the oportunity to stay at home if they wanted to save some money.

2. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

uniformity

all the umps need to get uniform training across the state so a class would need to be taught by the same trainers moving from place to place, mountains to the coast.

3. nc2aump

nc2aump Full Access Member

Umpires

A one day, "All day" camp would help them out tremendously. Even the summer officials attend more camps than these yo-yo's. It's all a matter of learning your craft and getting better at it. That takes desire, and not just desire to get paid the money that they make. They make good money for doing these games, so money should not be the issue. Don't know about the rest of the state, but I guarantee, if you told them to get paid the money that they make, they would have to attend a camp, things would change.

4. diamondwk

diamondwk Junior Member

Yo-Yos

nc2aump,

I have always enjoyed reading this board to keep up with what going in around the state with the teams that I never see. Today, after reading your posts, I learn that I am not worth the uniform that I wear on the field!

When I check in at Walnut Creek for the tournament, who shall I ask for to verify my "resume" of all the camps, clinics and ASA national schools that I have attended to prove my worthiness to be among the "16". Since I don't know who you are, I could just leave it with the UIC to pass on to you.

Contrary to your opinion, there are many of us who care deeply about what we do on the field. I will also invite you to attend the scrimmages, more than one, that my association holds each year. If yours is so bad, fix it. Oh yeah, there is no fee involved in those. I do it FOR FREE. There are also many of us who have and still do call NCAA ball and I can tell you that my NCAA booking agent would heavily fine, if not fire an ump for trashing other officials in a public forum such as this.

One of the YoYos

5. nc2aump

To Diamondwk

Well, let's look at this head on. There are very few actual NCAA assignors in North Carolina. There might be people who supply umpires for 1 minor school, but that does not make them an NCAA assignor. And as for NCAA officials, I work the best ones that are in NC. Two of which are in the Raleigh area. As for fining or even firing you for your opinion, that's crap. Janis Matson used to be one of the assignors out of Pittsboro, NC. Nel Bennett now has what little she had. The majority of the assignments in NC either come from me, or my association out of Virginia. So if you want to take this up further, you can contact me directly, just leave a private message and I'll respond. As for your H/S qualifications or you summer qualifications, what I said shouldn't have offended you, not with your resume. The bottom line is this, I can voice my opinion of the officials, because I do coach a Varsity 4A high school team. I also run MOST of the NCAA training camps in this state. So again, leave a message and we can discuss this further, not under the cover of a message board.

6. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

you and other umps probably have already........

we all have opinions.....relax and discuss the real issue here. most umps who frequent this board rocks...... either learn to be good ones or get out of it(profession)and TBR! just saying. carry on!

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  7. eyesup

eyesup Full Access Member

Back to the original question...

OK guys, you two are umpires, so what is the answer to the original question? Can a coach put the batter on base without pitching to her or not? Can the coach put the batter on after throwing a pitch or two? Some said yes, some no. What is the official ruling here? Several umpires across the state do not even know the official ruling, that is obvious by the stories told. So, what do you have to say on this? Educate us please.

8. nc2aump

Per the expert on High School rules in NC, you DO have to pitch to the hitter to walk her, and there is nothing in the book that says after you have thrown a pitch to her, that you can't now walk her. You can have no balls, two strike count on her and still intentionally walk her.

9. eyesup

eyesup Full Access Member

Right, you have to PITCH to her. That is the only thing I am looking for here. The argument at the game was that the Coach wanted to simply be able to put the batter on base without pitching to her. Now his pitcher could have thrown four balls to her in an IW situation with the catcher standing up right?
    So I am assuming this is played the same as college NC2UMP? Seems that a lot of people believe that a team used to be able to put hitters on without throwing to them for an IW, so when did that rule change for clarification purposes for all of us?

10. nc2aump

IW

The rule was experimental up until this tear, then they went back to the actual rule.