1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Interesting Article On Legion Baseball

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Super Jon, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Super Jon

Super Jon Member

2. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

As most know, I am a parent of a Lexington Post 8 player. We all agree that disqualifying Rowan was stunningly stupid. It defies logic & is a crime against the code of competition that we all embrace: Let the games be decided on the field by the players.

I'm not certain what would have happened in a Rowan/Lexington series. But our bunch sure would have enjoyed finding out. So would the Rowan fans & kids. We honestly did & still do feel badly for them.

3. Super Jon

Super Jon Member

I just think the guy was pointin out that these commissioners and everyone else are gettin in the way of the kids just playing and having a good time.

4. RaleighDevil

RaleighDevil Banned From TBR

Both of you are placing far too much blame on the officials. And this is from someone who has been as harsh a critic of them as anyone. We have our share of idiotic decisions in Area I, so I am familiar with the whole mess.

I am not sure of the rule regarding where a player must play. Does a program have to claim the school where he attends? It seems that there is something on the form about this, but on the other hand I get the impression that the whole issue is where a player lives in relation to the base schools.

Someone brings a violation to the attention of Legion officials. They investigate, and it turns out the accusation is true. The officials have to respond. It's too bad the way things turned out, but maybe people will be a little more careful about the rules. Henceforth, all teams should scrutinize where their players live so we don't have this terrible event happen again.

I am sure that what Garner did last season is not a popular move with the majority of posters on this forum. Not to re-open all that, but the organization decided that Garner used an illegal player that had been released to another program. That is a violation of the rules. Are the officials supposed to say, "We can't void Garner's title because that would be taking the game from the players"?

I have seen Legion officials make all sorts of inexplicable rulings over the years, and I have posted them on this board. But I will not fault the Legion for taking Rowan out of the playoffs. When in possession of the evidence, it had no choice as to what to do.

5. homerun4

homerun4 Full Access Member

Alot of things need to be changed in American Legion Baseball to keep it the best baseball program in the state of North Carolina. Alot of bad things took place this off season and during the season. Here is a list of things that took place this year that hurt Legion baseball in this state.

1. Garner was stripped of the state title 6 months after the state tournament.
    2. Calwell County AD suspended for protesting against Garner to the National level.
    3. executive Baseball committee voted against Western Forsyth post 522 from having a legion team due to destroying other programs in that area. was overruled by Gaither Keener The north Carolina American legion attorney who is a member of Harold B Jarrett Legion post in Salisbury.

4. Area 2 commisioner resighns.

5. Shelby and Garner assistant coaches get into altercation in an early season game Garner accused Shelby of helping Caldwell County with protest against garner.

6. South Rowan did not make playoffs when Area 3 commisioner Bob Beeson screwed up his own tie breaking rule. giving his team North Wilkesboro the 8 seed for the playoffs

7.Rowan County was disqualified for an illegal player after winning 1st round of state playoffs..

8. Cherryville awarded state Tournament after no one from area 1 would host tournament, which left 1 team from area 1 out of tournament.

9. Shelby shafted in state tournament after grounds crew failed to work on field in a timely fashion.

10. Commisioners tryed to change rules during tournament rain delay which led to a disagreement among commisioners.

6. RaleighDevil

RaleighDevil Banned From TBR

Why are there a bunch of people arguing over the rules? What does the rule book say about how games are supposed to end in the state tournament? In Babe Ruth tournaments, the games are suspended. What is the Legion rule? I don't understand why commissioners would be trying to assert their authority here. Another example of the ... you know, after awhile, I get tired of saying what you know I'm going to say.

7. hituwithapitch

hituwithapitch Junior Member

raleigh devil CAN YOU GET A LIFE!!! FOR SOME ONE WHO TALKS ABOUT BASEBALL RULES, FOR NOW OVER A YEAR..YOU DONT KNOW JACK... YOU TALK ABOUT WHAT U KNOW. HAVE YOU EVERY PLAYED, NO NO NO NO. I KNOW U... U ARE A SCORE KEEPER... THAT HAD TO DRIVE FROM RALEIGH TO WAYNE CO EVERY DAY TO FIND A TEAM THAT WOULD USE U.ALL LAST YEAR U TALKED ABOUT GARNER AND WHAT THEY DID WRONG AND HOW IT HURT LEGION BASEBALL. GARNER KICKED YOUR TEAMS BUTT AND NOW I 'M GALD U HAVE PITT CO OVER THERE, SO U WILL HAVE SOME ONE ELSE KICKING YOUR BUTT..AND MAYBE U WILL GET OFF GARNER'S.
    FACTS U DONT KNOW!!!!!!
    1. LEIF BAKER LIVES 2.5 MILES FROM GARNER HIGH SCHOOL. IN A HOUSE OWNED BY HIS FATHER, THAT HIS SONS LIVE IN... HE STAY ONCE IN AWHILE. AND PLANNING TO MOVING TO RALEIGH AREA AND STILL IS IF HIS HOUSE WILL SALE...
    2. DR. BAKER(YES THAT IS DOCTOR BAKER) LEIF'S FATHER WORKS IN RALEIGH SOME TIMES...
    3. LEIF BAKER PLAYED FOR 2 YEARS WITH GARNER 232 AND LIVED IN GARNER AND STILL LIVES THERE WENT NOT IN SCHOOL... AND CAME TO GAMES THIS SUMMER..
    4. LEIF BAKER WAS GARNER'S #4 PITCHER THAT HAD A GREAT GAME....BUT I DID NOT SEE ARE HEAR ANY D1, D2, D3 SCHOOLS OR PRO TEAM PICKING HIM UP...
    5. COACH BARBOUR GOT ALL PAPERWORK SIGNED BY LEIF AND FATHER AND THEN GAVE IT TO THE AD TO PASS UP TO BE CHECKED OUT.
    6. OLD AREA 1 AND NEW AREA 1 OFFICALS LOOKED AT IT AND CHECKED IT OUT.. AND SAID HE WAS OK TO PLAY..
    7. LEIF BAKER'S NAME CAME UP AT LAST YEAR A.L.B.STATE GAMES AND WAS OK TO PLAYED THEN. ALONG WITH OTHERS FROM GARNER'S TEAM AND OTHER TEAMS(BY ROY WATERS, BILL MURRY ECT..)
    8. GARNER DID NOT GET A CHANCE TO TELL GARNER'S SIDE AND YOU HAVE NOT SEEN A POST, UNTIL NOW FROM A GARNER FAMILY MEMBER OR COACH. SO YOU ONLY KNOW ONE SIDE OF THE STORY, ISNT IT FUNNY THAT GARNER WAS NOT ON THESE BOARDS MAKING A POST.. WE UNDERSTAND WHO WE ARE FIGHT AND KNOW WE CAN NOT WIN IN GOOD OLD BOY BASEBALL.. SO THE BEST THING TO DO IS LET IT GO...
    9. THE RULES ALSO TALK ABOUT A $100 PROTEST FEE WITH THE PROTEST IN THE RALEIGH MEETING BILL MURRY PAYED IT OUT OF HIS POCKET. 7 MOUTHS AFTER THE GAMES AND 1.5 MOUTHS AFTER THE PROTEST.. THE PROTEST WAS NOT FILED RIGHT. AND NO STATE RULE ON HOW LONG OF TIME AFTER YOU CAN FILE A PROTEST IN PLACE, SO YOU GO TO THE NATIONAL RULE... READ IT.... THAT IS AN EYE OPENER.
    10. WHY DIDNT GARNER CARRY IT TO THE NATIONAL OFFICALS, ROY WATERS ASKED US NOT TO BECAUSE, WE N.C.A.L.B AT THAT TIME WERE TRYING TO GET A NATIONAL EVENTS HERE IN OUR STATE. HE SAID WE DID NOT NEED A BLACK EYE IN AT THE NATIONAL LEVEL.. SO WE DROPPED IT..
    11. AND I CAN GO ON AND ON AND ON...
    I SAY ALL THIS TO COME BY TO YOUR ABOVE REMARKS, CALDWELL HAD A GREAT TEAM, GARNER DID TOO. THE GAME WAS PLAYED AND GARNER WON.. THEN 6 MONTHS LATER GOOD OLD BOYS A.L.B. OFFICALS SAID GARNER WERE NOT CHAMPS... BUT THE RINGS ARE NICE, THE JACKETS WEAR GOOD AND WE STILL HAVE THAT BIG PICK OF BRASS AND WOOD AND LEIF BAKER IS STILL MVP
    AND THAT IS ALL IT IS... AND IT IS NOT GOING TO CHANGE... IF U WRITE 10,000 POST LET IT GO... LAST YEARS NEWS.. TALK ABOUT SHELBY GETTING SCREWED THIS YEAR IN THE RAIN OUT AND BILL MURRY SITTING IN THE PRESS BOX AND NOT HELPING SHELBY... AND CALDWELL HAVING A GREAT TEAM PLAYING GOOD ALL YEAR AND JUST DID NOT GET IT TOGETHEIR FOR THE PLAY-OFFS. CHERRYVILLE PLAYING LIKE MAD AND WINNING, ROWAN NOT LEARNING FROM GARNER LAST YEAR( AND NOT GETTING IT IN WRITING FROM ROY) AREA 3 DOING OUTSTANDING, THE MORTON KID, WAYNE CO HAVING A GOOD SCORE KEEPER THAT DONT KNOW A THING ABOUT BASEBALL BUT IS A GOOD SCORE KEEPER...
    SO LET IT GO, GET A LIFE, BEFORE YOUR COMPUTER LOCKS UP AND YOU PASS OUT FROM A BRAIN FART.......
    PS1.. OTHERS SORRY YOU HAD TO READ THIS TO GET TO THE NEXT POST..
    PS2..GREAT JOB TO ALL THE TEAMS IN THE STATE PLAY-OFFS AND PLEASE LET THE PLAYERS PLAY THE GAME NOT THE SCORE KEEPERS....... :agreed:
    GREAT JOB PITT, GOOD LUCK AND MAKE US LOOK GOOD....

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  8. Prowler

Prowler Junior Member

Release Form

To all concerned parties that is still interested in last year’s championship. Where Mr. Baker lived wasn't even the problem with the dispute that Caldwell brought to the State Legion Officials. Baker went to High School at Polk County. He then signed and got the approval of both the NC Commissioner and the SC Commissioner to play for a Legion Team in South Carolina. Baker got a release from the closest Legion team to his High School, which was Rutherford County Post 423. A Legion player only gets one release for his entire Legion Career. When he went to SC, that was it and he should have never have been allowed to return to NC. The question that we all asked, was" Who allowed this transfer to take place". That person or person(s) are the real criminals in the whole controversy. Again, Who is at fault, State Commissioner, Area Commissioner, Team Manager, Head Coach, Post Athletic Officer. One or all of the above had the knowledge of what took place and that is who should be held responsible.

9. Intimidator Coach

Intimidator Coach Premium Member

Let it go !!!!!!

Garner Who ???

Nobody cares about last years problems.
    There is a new North Carolina American Legion Champion .

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  10. SUMO

SUMO Full Access Member

if you can

only get one release in your legion career what about the kid from caldwell I think he is the catcher and was released from several teams to get there.