1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Iron Arm - Pitcher throws 172 pitches in win

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Spartanfan, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Spartanfan

Spartanfan Full Access Member

This is a headline from the Monroe Enquirer dated Wednesday April 30. It seems a kid from Monroe Parkwood threw a complete game, 11 innings, 172 pitches, 14 K's, and 3 hits. The coach goes to the kid in the eighth inning and asks him, "How's your arm?" The kid replies, "I'm good" What do you think the kid is going to say? Not passing judgement on anybody, just wanted to know what people think about this.

2. DaveW

DaveW Full Access Member

his coach should have his butt kicked.

3. rattdd

rattdd Full Access Member

Sounds familiar! I believe some coaches let their pitchers pitch more due to the fact that they want them to make all conference. This is with no consideration for that young man's arm or the signal it sends to the other pitchers that their is a lack of confidence in their ability. The parents of the pitchers in these situations ought to be ashamed of themselves!!:mad:

4. DodgerBlues

DodgerBlues Full Access Member

Outrageous. Criminal.
    I'm happy to pass judgment since you aren't. Here's the sentence: :behead:

5. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

The coaches actions, IMHO borderlines on abuse. There are guidelines and then there is common sense. The way Steve Streater was used back in '77 is an extreme example of this (record of 23-1) ... how can someone pitch 24 games in a 12 week season?????

Inning limits was designed to eliminate this problem .... 172 is WAY too much.

If the school is going to keep quiet, the conference ought to discipline the coach.

6. FalconDad

FalconDad Junior Member

First of all, had that been my son i would have really shown my butt and removed him myself from the game. I dont care how good he was pitching or at what level he was pitching! The so called coach that allowd this to happen,,,,God bless his sole because he is a mental case that has no regards for the young man pitching or his arm. Not to mention this boys baseball future, but he could have very easily have damaged this boys arm to the extent of permanent damage.

7. SouthPawDad

SouthPawDad Full Access Member

With a headline like that, "Iron Arm...", the Monroe paper should fire the sports reporter/editor for promoting the abuse!

No way coaches, parents or school administration should allow this to happen. I know plenty of "pitcher parents" on this board who would have walked into the dugout, if not onto the field, to remove their sons from the game.

8. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

Like many, MANY papers, their Sports Reporters probably don't really understand or appreciate the nuances of the sports they are supposed to be reporting.

As far as the paper, it's just stupidity for choosing the headline.

9. Original

Original Full Access Member

INSANE! ABUSIVE! Sad...very Sad for the pitcher!

Are you SURE this wasn't in the National Enquirer?

Attached Files:

10. gonzo

gonzo Full Access Member

This goes back to a thread we had going before. You set expectations with the coach before the first game about pitch counts. But you may be seeing an example of a lazy old man(his dad) living vicariously through his son. I would have pulled my son.