1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Is it an RBI?

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by php1, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

You're kidding right?

2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

So you are saying if the opinion of the scorer was it should have been caught...and in the opinion of the scorer was the runners could have tagged up and advanced. How would that not be a sacrifice fly and an error to the outfielder? You can't punish the batter for a defensive miscue.

(e) Score a sacrifice fly when, before two are out, the batter hits a fly ball or a line drive handled by an outfielder or an infielder running in the outfield which

(1) is caught, and a runner scores after the catch, or

(2) is dropped, and a runner scores, if in the scorer's judgment the runner could have scored after the catch had the fly been caught.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  3. CanAmMan

CanAmMan Full Access Member

WOW, you may call yourself a coach but hope not a scorekeeper!!!!! I though I was a tough scorekeeper , not compared to you!!!!!

So what you are saying is that if I am the scorekeeper then I can use my opinion on scoring the game, right!!!!!

Then here I go,

Batter hit a bomb over the left field fence and the foul pole... I think left fielder should have caught it, I guess I score it a 4 base error!!!!!!!!!

batter has a 3-2 count, pitcher throws ball on the outside corner and low. Batter does not swing and catcher misses the ball and batter makes it to first. I don't give either the catcher an error or the pitcher a wild pitch but I call it a walk because I thought the umpire should have called it a ball.

Next, Batter bunts ball down third base line, third baseman thinks it will go foul so they leave it alone. Ball stays fair and batter makes it to first. I give the 3rd baseman an error for not playing the ball...

4. Coach Roger

Coach Roger Full Access Member

Yeah, many parts of scorekeeping are judgement. Just like umpiring. I was not considering if the players would have been able to tag up had the ball been caught. That is a valid point. I was focused on the error vs hit part of the scenario. Yeah. I'm probably tougher than most on scorekeeping. That seems to be obvious. Anyway, those are spme pretty extreme examples you came up with. I don't think I'm quite that tough.