1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Is SCHS recruiting from other schools?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by omagic, Jul 18, 2007.

1. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

just a thought here

concerning teaching about life, is it right to teach our kids that it's OK to just pull up roots from your home place and transfer over to a "winner"? what about loyalty and being part of the solution in making your own school a "winner"?

2. HotStick121

HotStick121 Junior Member

There is nothing wrong with being loyal to an area or school near your residence. However, they dont give out rings for being most loyal. If athletes transfer its because they need a change. I know of leaving for a different coach, better looks by colleges, and just because their previous school was lousy. Kids will go to new schools for athletics forever, whether its right or wrong is just an opinion of a person.

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

It wasn't very long ago, in Charlotte, where you could actually change schools in season of their sport. That's right; a player could play for Myers Park in baseball and during the same season, he could suit up for South Meck. Fortunately, that has been changed.

4. central-d

central-d Full Access Member

I see nothing wrong with changing schools to be in a better situation what ever the reason. I hope when my kidds are out of school in the work force that they don't get stuck in the status quo and if a better job situation comes along that as they learned in school it is ok to change places if it puts you in a better situation. If I had a son in Caldwell County and he played baseball I would do whatever it takes to get him in SC. It would probablly help him get some looks for his future and scholl is helping build our children for the future

5. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

End the

madness!!! If a kid wants to transfer let him or her. Just put it into scope. If a kid wants to transfer they need to meet residential and grade requirements. There should also be a waiting list for everyone thats wants to transfer intop any school. If you move great. I went to different schools due to my parents spliting up. So I understand that there are reasons. Proving the reason for a move should be no problem..... If you are on the up and up. A waiting period would be nice too. Transfer in the middle of the school year you wait till next season. For the Fall sports same. Good programs are there to help others step up theirs. As with anything there will be those riot starters. I know that the die hards are getting the touches lite for the up raising. :gunsmilie: But holding everyone to the same standard works for those that have and those that have not.

6. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

Sounds like a plan. Oh wait a minute. New guys show up and takes your kids spot. Good for the program but not fair to yours. As for the job. Let mine know. HA, HA !!!!!

7. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

Let me

put this scenario out there. Your kid really loves baseball. He is a kid that works at the game and wants to have a great HS baseball experience. The school he goes to has a coach that shows up in Feb and after the HS season is no where to be found. There is no coaching to speak of and he is surrounded by other players that could careless about getting better and working at the game. The program never wins and they really dont care. Right across the way is a program with outstanding coaching and a great off season program. The players are dedicated and work extremely hard. They win and they have a strong tradition. It is a great HS baseball experience to be had. Do you leave him where he is and tell him to suck it up and make the best of it? Or do you move him so he can be a part of a great program and benefit from the coaching and experience?

My oldest son was recruited by several HS football programs in our area. Our football program to be mild about it has struggled in many ways. I left the decision up to him. He decided to stay where he was and play with his friends. To him it was about loyalty to his school and his community and friends he played with. I can honestly say that I regret him not moving. He won around 5 games his HS career. He never played in a playoff game. He played with guys that constantly missed practice and he was never challenged in practice by better players. But I left it up to him.

Folks there is something to be said for playing with players that are dedicated and work hard. There is something to be said for playing for coaches that are dedicated and work hard. Sometimes it is best to move depending on the circumstances.

Its easy to say "You have to be loyal and play for your community". It is not a one way street. I personally do not want anyone playing in our program that does not want to be here and would rather play somewhere else. To me the key is put a program out there that guys want to be a part of and you wont have to worry about them wanting to transfer. I do not believe in recruiting players. But I also do not believe that kids that take their baseball seriously and want to get better should have to stay in a bad situation.

8. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

My son played Reyshawn Terry one week vs Glenn, & then the next week vs. Reynolds. That's not fair...

Then the next year a kid wants to transfer to his baseball program, but the school administration says no. Next thing we know, he's playing for another school in our conference. That's not fair...

If it's all about the individual, then flush high school sports & go to club ball. But if it's about community & if the athletic program is part of the school spirit thing, then transfer should be tightly scrutinized & difficult to do. State titles are a farce if teams can load up with the area's best.

9. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Coach, it has been my experience that those that voice the loudest complaints about transferring or recruiting, do so out of fear.

The stories I have heard from AD's about parents trying to "turn in" an alleged illegal transfer is unbelievable, self serving and cowardly. Their only purpose of doing so is fear that the said transfer will take their son's position. They don't bother to check if the player's family has moved or not. They just call downtown, voice their complaint and waste everyone's time. It's bad enough when a parent from another school has nothing better to do than try to interfere with a family's decision, but when a parent from the same school shouts "it's not fair", tells me more about them, than anything else.

10. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

Braves

I totally agree.