1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Joey Davis resigns at Freedom...

Discussion in 'Boys Basketball' started by bigdan, Mar 26, 2006.

1. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

http://www.morganton.com/servlet/Sa...c=MGArticle&cid=1137834947487&path=!frontpage

I think we all know who's gonna get the job at Freedom, but you never know what the people in Morganton might do?

Personally, I thought Davis was a good coach that didn't get the full support of the fanbase at Freedom. I know this past year was especially rough on him but I think people need to wake up and see the facts that the talent level in this area has hit almost rock bottom. The NW4A is irrelevant to the rest of the state as far as boys basketball goes.

2. fhspatriot

fhspatriot Full Access Member

Ive had the privledge to work for coach davis the last 4 years and i have nothing but good things to say about him.Hes a good coach and a first class person.I remember when i asked him if i could help 4 years ago and he was glad that i asked.He appreciated every thing i did for him and i enjoyed the chance to work for him.I hope nothing but the best of coach davis.

3. allrightnow

allrightnow Free

4. Digger

Digger Junior Member

Joey Davis

Good Coach who had big shoes to fill and this is always tough when the coach before you wins really big. This is so true in so many jobs....the guy who follows the big winner just has to win all the time or the wolves will be out even though the conditions may actually be different. Good luck to Joey Davis and especially the guy who takes his place...it may not be the slam dunk that some of you think it will be.

5. Tar42Heel

Tar42Heel Banned From TBR

Look for Davis to assume the Athletics Director position as soon as it's announced. Current AD Tom Russ will retire at the end of the year, but will return to the AD position of either R.L. Patton or J.C. Draughn when it's started to help get one of those programs going.

6. allrightnow

allrightnow Free

Now there's the wrong guy for either of the two new schools. If the administration is smart they'll look at someone else in both places. Let Tommy retire and be gone out of these kids lives. The best thing that happened to Freedom baseball was him moving aside for Jeff Williams to take the job.

7. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

I kinda agree with you. I don't know Tommy on a personal basis, but with their being two new schools and the face of Burke County athletics changing greatly, I think I would want new blood taking on the challenge of starting up these programs. Just bringing in the same ol' people to fill new positions dosen't send a good signal. Just like with Rob Bliss stepping down at East Burke, may are wondering of his intentions.

8. Tar42Heel

Tar42Heel Banned From TBR

Well, apparently Jeff Williams isnt doing squat cause his teams at Freedom have been mediocre at best, a la Tom Russ. Seems that was a lateral move. As far as Russ at Patton or Draughn, he's done a halfway decent job in the wake of the floods getting the equipment replaced and starting a new project in the aux gym.

9. allrightnow

allrightnow Free

There's too much baggage over Russ for me to go any further. True enough about Williams not winning, but he is a much better coach in my personal opinion than Tommy as far as treating his players right.

10. justinsj

justinsj Junior Member

No worries here...if you retire from a state job in NC...you can't have another state job for 6 months...