1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

John Ackley- Prep Stars Director

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

With Dustin being on many people's minds at this time, I thought it would be fun to get to know his dad a little bit. John Ackley is as good as it gets character-wise. Although I like his wife, Joy, more. Anyway, check out his 16-U team the year this thread started...pretty impressive

First, you must realize that John Ackley is truly a baseball gem. He doesn't mince words, but can quickly establish confidence and trust from his players and their parents. He was looking for the right opportunity to give back to baseball his experience and knowledge of the game. When he was approached to start Prep Stars, he looked at the people that would be involved with the program...and jumped at the opportunity.

John could care less about the financial end of this program. He just wants to help in anyway a young player (especially one that has gone unnoticed) to get proper instructions and to develop better as a player and a person.

He also has two boys ( Jordan @ Lenoir Rhyne and Dustin , North Forsyth and UNC) that have been through the recruiting process and in Dusty's case, he is continuing that process with MLB.

The baseball training that will be available with the Prep Stars program and the strength and conditioning with Carmine Pagano (one of the top 2 in the State) will make this a program that anyone would like to be affiliated with. I hope everyone at TBR will join me in making John Ackley feel welcomed here:

John, can you give us a little background of your baseball experience?

1. I was a third round pick in the 1979 draft by the boston Red Sox; played seven years in their organization, making it to triple-A; got into coaching at the little league level with my children; took over the 13U Kernersville Cardinals AAU baseball team in 2001 and won a National Championship; was also an assistant coach of the 2003 15U AAU Greensboro Batting Center National Championship team.

What is your mission at Prep Stars?

2. Prep Stars Baseball is an organization we started to help high school players fulfill their dreams of playing college baseball.

Why did you get invoved?

3. I got involved with Prep Stars because it has been a dream of mine to work with young athletes on a full time basis since I left pro ball in 1985.

How will your program be different then...say...Impact Baseball?

4. We will offer more on the instructional side of the game and also on strength and conditioning, but will also provide some of the same as far as showcases and travel teams. We also plan to hold camps for kids of all ages.

What is another area you feel you can help a family with?

5. After having gone through the recruiting process with my two sons, I feel I have learned some things that I can pass on to players and their parents.

Thanks John for taking the time from your busy schedule to introduce yourself to the board. We are here to help you in any way to get your program started.

I can only give feedback about people or programs that I know. John Ackley is one of those people that are doing this for the right reasons. He is honest as the day is long...he cares...he has experience...and he is a good man. That's about as good as anyone can say about a person...and John Ackley is that person

http://eteamz.active.com/prepstarsbaseball/index.cfm?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  2. DOUBLE G

DOUBLE G Double G

Sounds Great!

Hey Guys. This sounds great. The best coaches are the ones that truly and genuinely care about the kids. Most coaches do care, but there are those ones that go that little extra and put forth the extra effort. We have all seen or know a coach like that. It sounds like that is the way that you are, and that is awesome. I played college baseball and I have helped coach a legion team for a few years now and I love to help kids and see them achieve or improve. Saying that, if I can help you in anyway please let me know. Keep up the good work and best of luck.

3. Braves

DoubleG- The next time you are over to Da Bears field...stop by and introduce yourself to John...and I would love to meet you too

4. BB9er

BB9er Full Access Member

Coach John....

I have known John Ackley for about 4 years. My son had the great honor of being coached by John for 3 years while playing AAU ball...one year with the Cardinals and 2 years with GBC. We got to know John and his family pretty well from being around them a lot at week-end tournaments and week long nationals during the summers. My husband who played baseball in HS and college and coached many ,many years in LL in our hometown knew right off the bat that John was a man with great baseball knowledge and how the game should be played. To have that knowledge and then be able to convey and relate to players is a gift and John definitely has it. He always did what was best for the team as a unit. He was genuine in working and helping all his players in becoming better ballplayers, not showing partiality to any. His demeanor with his players was always soft-spoken whether praising them or correcting them. He could get his point across no matter what it was about in a way that his players listened. To us, he just has a remarkable way with teens and younger ones too. Anyone who has the privelege of becoming friends with John or having their son coached by John will have their life enriched. I know we certainly feel this way!

John also has a wonderful family that we as a family enjoyed getting to know, and that would not have happened if not for the AAU baseball.

"A good coach will make his players see what they can become rather than what they are." (Ara Parseghian)
    John Ackley embodies this quality of a great coach!

Thanks, John for having such a wonderful, positive influence on our son during some formidable years of any teens life.

5. DoNotRun

DoNotRun Junior Member

Does anyone have details on what age groups Prep Stars will look to field in the first season?

6. Braves

I should see John today....I'll ask

EDIT: John has registered and will be posting on here. So I will let him answer any questions one may have.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2006
  7. DCbaseball

DCbaseball Superman

this sounds interesting

8. PSBaseball

PSBaseball Junior Member

First, I would like to thank everyone for all of the kind words. I love this game...and I hope that everything Prep Stars Baseball accomplishes will be a reflection of that!
    At this time we plan to have 2 teams. The first team will be for rising seniors. The other will be for rising sophomores and juniors. Our first tryout is scheduled for 1:00pm on Saturday, April 22 @ Grimsley High School. Players who wish to try out for either team should send an email to [email protected] to register. In the email please include your name, address, birthdate, email address or phone number, high school, and the grade you will be in next year. We will have to limit the number of players that attend each tryout to make sure every player gets a fair evaluation. Tryouts are free and players will receive confirmation by email or phone that they are registered.

9. SuperJon

SuperJon Full Access Member

One of the guys from Prep Stars was at our game today. He was saying they're wanting 12-14 players for the Class of 07 team.

10. PSBaseball

PSBaseball Junior Member

SuperJon...

We will probably select between 15 and 18 players for each Prep Stars team.