1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Johnny is not hitting .500

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by aguyyouknow, Mar 28, 2012.

1. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

I’d say on average teams in the SW4A are getting about 5 or 6 hits per game this year in conference play. Below is a chart of what team batting averages actually look like on a per game basis.

This doesn’t account for any errors that are made by the defense. They go as AB’s and lower the Team Batting Average even more!

7 Innings of At Bats
    5 Hits and 21 Outs = 5 for 26 (.192)!!!!
    6 Hits and 21 Outs = 6 for 27 (.222)
    9 Hits and 21 Outs = 9 for 30 (.300)

Your team has to get 9 hits in a 7 inning game to bat .300 and that’s if their defense plays error free. Everyone thinks of a 9 hit game as a good night don’t they.

6 Innings of At Bats (if you win at home)
    5 Hits and 18 Outs = 5 for 23 (.217)
    6 Hits and 18 Outs = 6 for 24 (.250)

Well you get the picture. So from now on when you see a box score and each team had 4 hits you’ll realize that combined they were 8 for 50! A whopping .160!

AND Remember there are very few HS games where there aren’t at least 3 or 4 errors.

Now you know why I roll my eyes when you tell me that Johnny is hitting .500! Johnny is not hitting .500 in the SW4A or anywhere else for that matter. I'd bet there aren't very many players in your league hitting over .300 much less .500.

And now you know why the college coach doesn’t care about stats.

2. 3up3down32

3up3down32 Junior Member

Now where is that Like button...

3. Razorhead85

Razorhead85 Junior Member

Bingo - we have a winner folks

4. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

Here to serve

Here to serve my brutha.

5. catcoach

catcoach Full Access Member

Point well taken, and I see your reasoning.
    However, you aren't considering BB - the hitters best friend - or sacs.
    I say this because, while we are not setting the HS world on fire at the plate, I do legitimately have a player at .429 in conference. (A couple of others are over .300.) He has several BB and a couple of sacs in the seven games. There have been nights he is 1-1 with a BB and a sac bunt. Like it or not, that's .1000 for that night. Stay away from 0-3/4, and +.400 is not so hard.

Further, we look at our stats in various ways/breakdowns. Against the "top 3" in our league, we have guys only batting that .150 you allude to. However, against, well, teams "further down the standings" (BTW, that's us too right now!) we have guys hitting literally .750. One player in particular was 3-4 and 4-4 in two games vs two teams some would say are in the "lower half." Yes, all subs played those two nights. Yes, the games ended early. But before you chalk it up to "no competition," realize it was one of those teams' first conference loss, and their record is better than ours still - in other words, they aren't a "dog" - not really "lower half" material, so to speak. They just aren't necessarily the front runners on paper this season.

Having a 3-4, 2-2, 1-1 night every three games or so, and then taking a couple BB and getting a couple sacs, makes it very possible to be over .400.

P.S. I will agree that some stats can be, well, inflated at times. That said, if college coaches don't care, why even bring it up? We all know that," it is what it is."

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  6. aguyyouknow

aguyyouknow Yogi Fan

Need More Proof?

I pulled this data from the webcasts that are professionally done in the sw4a. The games include at least 1 sw4a school. Some are against teams from other conferences and a few are conference matchups.

The 13 games are those that have been recorded thus far this season by mincmi who is an authority on scorekeeping and is completely unbiased.

Bottom line is that of the 13 games there was only 1 game where the teams combined to hit over .300. Furthermore, the combined total Batting Average of all 26 teams competing in those 13 games is a whopping .212!!!!

Johnny is not hitting .500. Logic says that 1/2 (HALF) the kids aren't even hitting .212. The Average PER TEAM is 5.5 Hits Per Game in 26 At Bats.

Result Hits At Bats Game Batting Average
    Game 1 Myers Park 6 Hopewell 5 16 55 0.291
    Game 2 Weddington 1 Ardrey Kell 0 7 57 0.123
    Game 3 South Meck 3 Char Cath 1 12 52 0.231
    Game 4 Providence 4 Hough 1 8 49 0.163
    Game 5 Hopewell 9 Independence 1 16 51 0.314
    Game 6 South Meck 5 Weddington 2 12 57 0.211
    Game 7 Rocky River 4 Parkwood 3 13 57 0.228
    Game 8 Myers Park 4 Butler 3 12 54 0.222
    Game 9 East Meck 3 Myers Park 0 12 51 0.235
    Game 10 Weddington 7 Providence 6 13 51 0.255
    Game 11 Providence 4 Butler 0 6 47 0.128
    Game 12 South Meck 3 Myers Park 1 12 51 0.235
    Game 13 Providence 1 East Meck 0 4 44 0.091
    Grand Total 143 676 0.212

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  7. tonyfossas

tonyfossas Full Access Member

Well, OBVIOUSLY.....the Southwestern 4A is the standard for High School Baseball not only in NC but in the country.....so how could anyone think otherwise?

8. baseballx3

baseballx3 Full Access Member

Unless Johnny is the only kid on the team with hits....

and in some score books I am sure that is true. Johnny had 4 hits while no one else had any.....every game.

9. baseballx3

baseballx3 Full Access Member

No. But as has been pointed out on this board 1 million times, it is where the people who post have the most access to such data. And since the guy who keeps those stats is actually a professional scorekeeper (he does it for the Charlotte Knights AAA club) the assumption has to be that they are kept actually using the correct rules by which to score the games. Add that to the fact that he does not have a kid even in HS and that further takes out any bias to the scoring.

Now if you have those type of stats for your conference that prove out a different story we are all about you adding them to the board. Would love the comparison.

ps: I have no kid in the SW4A

10. Post15fan

Post15fan Full Access Member

Agreed

Fisherman say that 95% of the fish are caught by 5% of the fisherman. Others are guessing... "wetting a line", "killing time", or "enjoying a beverage hoping to not to be interrupted".

Similar with hitting. Some know what to look for and how to adjust to changing conditions. Others are just hoping.