1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

JV Baseball (In the Pipeline & Under The Radar) - Merged threads

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by THEBIG"O", Feb 2, 2003.

1. DodgerBlues

DodgerBlues Full Access Member

I agree with the posts about the Olympic players -- Thomas Hovis (rhp) is a special player and can pitch at the next level if he sticks with it. In that Olympic sophomore class I like Wes Waddell (lhp), his Carolina Blues teammate, too, and, if he can continue to improve his behavior, Clay Smith (CAA Black Sox) can hit as well as any of the other guys in this post. Brandon Hill (Blues) is tough to hit when he's on -- he pitched five super innings against the East Cobb Astros last summer -- they really struggled with his curve ball. Adrian Tyson (Black Sox) has a chance to be good, with his speed and defense -- not really a hitter yet.

I really like the Myers Park sophomore class (okay I am biased). Tim Frye (lhp) was on the varsity last year -- he can also hit with power and he's got good speed. Antonio Cousart (rhp -- clocked at 87 at Shildt's showcase late last summer) has gotten it together in the classroom and could be a really special player. Several high school coaches said he would have been in their varsity rotation last year; he was dominant when he was on last summer for the Carolina Blues, and he was on often. He can pitch, go get it in the outfield and hit for power. Cody Drake (lhp -- Carolina Blues) is also a really special pitcher -- a lefthander with pop. If he ever figures out how much talent he has, look out. Jeremy Mathis (Blues, Black Sox) and David Castevens (Black Sox) can both hit very well and are good with the glove in the infield. Add Jack Magee (Blues), a good defensive catcher who gets on base, Scott Brewer, a good all around athlete, and Scott Fry (On Deck Reds), a solid cotact hitter who is steady at second base, and you have a class with eight really good players.

At East Meck, I am a big fan of two sophomores -- Joey Savago (East Eagles, Matthews Cougars) -- a high quality catcher who I hear is likely to start on varsity, and Brett Alter (rhp - Cougars), who knows how to get guys out. They also have some other good sophomores-- Chip Smith and Chad Heiliger (lhp) are two who I remember, but there were several other good players on that Cougars team who are at East.

At Independence, Mark Nicholson (Mint Hill Patriots) is an outstanding hitter with big time power, Daniel Cooke (Patriots) is another high quality catcher, and Trey Starnes (Blues) is a good hitter with surprising power who is solid defensively.

There has been a lot of info on here about South Meck players -- I am a huge fan of TJ Worrell -- a special sophomore. The gem he pitched for the Carolina Blues against the Panthers in Winston-Salem last year was really fun to watch. He was in complete control :smoke: and having a blast, the whole game. He also homered in the game. I hope he iced his arm, because his catcher sure had to ice his hand. It was about as much fun as it was painful to watch TJ dominate :help: the Myers Park varsity twice last season with the inside fast ball. If they'd been using wood bats we'd still have plenty of firewood. I also like Josh Cable, DJ Lingerfelt and Mike Morgan, and nobody works harder than Wes Borden or Daniel Foster. They all played well for the Reds at one time or another.

I have worn out my welcome :talker: -- at least I didn't use as many smiles this time. Other sophomores I like a lot (not exactly under the radar, though) -- Cameron Maybin - no more needs to be said about him, Michael Cavasini (Charlotte Royals) at North, Brendan Van Popering (Royals, Blues) at Catholic, Adam Kelly (Panthers), Dane Arneson (Royals, Panthers) and Corey Demming (Panthers) at Providence, Martin Hovis at Forestview; and Ryan Brown at Central Cabarrus.

I've saved three of my seven favorite sophomores (with Maybin, Worrell, Cousart and T. Hovis) for last -- Drew Martin (Blues, Ashbrook) -- a great kid and a great player -- I can't think of anyone I'd rather have at the plate in the clutch than Drew, and I can't think of anyone who teammates like more; Kyle Josey (Patriots, Butler) -- strong in the field, at the plate, on the bases and on the mound -- a real shot at being a rare 5 tool guy :tool: ; and Greg Miclat (Robinson) -- he can really hit and is great with the glove -- they loved him at camp last summer in Chapel Hill.

I know I've left a lot of good players out, especially those outside of the Charlotte area -- and lots up north of the city, too. You guys will have to help me out -- I can only see so many games -- I have girls, too, and they play soccer.

2. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

Great post Dogerblue....Very, very good talent coming up in the SW4A. Everyone is right, Olympic will be a force to recon with. I remember Hovis and Waddell from their days with the Express.

(after thought added later: Harding is REALLY going to miss Wes - they don't have a great feeder system like the schools in the SW4A)

Since were listing quality sophomores, Thought I'd add a few more to the "mix".... For North Meck: (This group will probably be evenly split between JV & Varsity in order to provide playing time).
    Michael Cavasinni,IF
    Tom Porter,P-IF/OF
    Sam Pierce,P-IF/OF
    Zack Rosenbaum,P
    John Kellett,IF
    Greg Allen,P-1B, Transfer from Vance
    Daniel Whitmire,IF/OF, Transfer from Vance
    David McAuley,IF-P
    Pat McElroy,C-OF
    Brandon Kelly,LPH
    Alan Parks,LPH-OF

Hopewell (Senior & Junior led primarily - Small sophomore class but loaded with good freshmen this year.)
    Steve Laco, CF
    Brett Richardson,IF/OF

North West Cabarrus (I can see the others faces, but I can't remember their names right now - NW is STRONG):
    Blake Ketner,P-IF/OF

Does anyone know where Wil Boyd is? I always thought he was a good player that you should keep track of. Also Brett Bartles?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2003
  3. Prepster

Prepster Full Access Member

GREAT posts, DodgerBlues and NCBBallFan! It's nice to see a number of the younger players identified...and will be even better to see them on the field this season!

4. NCBBallFan

Hey AUSTIN POWERS & NPCFAN!!!!!

How about you guys giving us the skinny on some of those good players over in the concord region. We've played against them for years and would like some updates on em.
    :jump:

5. NCBBallFan

We left out LaBoy over at Central Cabarrus. Good hitter, Outstanding speed. He's a special player also.

6. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Using Dodgerblues phrase..Laboy is one of my favorites. An outstanding CF and really good pitcher, but his bat will carry him to the next level.

Another name Dodgerblue mentioned is Antonio Cousart. An interesting twist in this day and age. He turned down basketball to concentrate on baseball....and he is an exceptional basketball player. The kid has all the tools. If he continues to work hard ( from what I hear, he is working very hard), Antonio will be drafted after his Senior year....he's "special". I would rate him, potentially, just below Maybin, but Antonio will make his mark as a Pitcher. Of course, just what Myers Park needed...another outstanding pitcher.:)

7. hitman

hitman Full Access Member

Wilson Boyd is playing at Hickory High. Isaac Harrow is also at Hickory High after transferring from Foard.

8. NCBBallFan

Isaac is a fine ball player. Hickory should be strong this year from what I've heard. You guys up there know Joel Burris? He was at Watagua last year, but has transfered to North Meck this year.

9. THEBIG"O"

THEBIG"O" Junior Member

I'm sure I just foreget after every season, but I cant remember a year when there were so many transfer students that are goin to have such a high first year impact. And it's not like sometimes when you have guys getting recruited by highschools to come play, these are for the most part legit changes where the players just move to different schools.

10. highntight

highntight North Meck Dad

Others under the radar

Brandon Bishopp, Vance, C, Was one of Vance's best hitter last year as a 10th grader.
    Ryan Laboy, Central C, OF/P. Laboy went to the Miami holiday camp and got lots of attention from the coaching staff.
    Dexter Burris, East Rowan, OF/P, good bat and good speed
    John Martin, Forbush , P/IF, This kid has a great arm!
    Corey Martin, Yankinville, OF/P, I've seen this kid throw over ten runners out at home from right field over the last year!
    Josh Earp, R J Reynolds, IF, good glove and good contact hitter.
    Hampton Foushee, Winston Salem, LHP/OF, good arm, bat and speed.
    These last five kids are from the Winston Salem area and played for the Jayhawks 15U AAU team last summer. They are talented kids and fine young men.