1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

LEGION vs SHOWOFFBALL Answered!

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by baseballdirect, May 2, 2005.

1. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Mudcat, I understand the community support for legion lacks in some areas of the state. AAU isn't popular everywhere either.

But for anyone who wants to criticize legion, I challenge you to come to Cabarrus County or Rowan County this summer and attend a Kannapolis/South Rowan game or a Rowan County game. And Lord help us if these same local rivals later meet in the playoffs because then everything (crowds, intensity, etc) only multiplies even more. All 3 of these local legion teams routinely play 35-40 games and go deep into the playoffs each summer. These memories will last with these young men the rest of their lives.

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  2. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Hey tj...are you going to save me a seat next to you this year?

3. MOOSE

MOOSE Full Access Member

When a community goes to the trouble to build a legion program that has the potential to be successful there is a lot of value to the community. Not many things this day and time pull communities together. I know in the areas mentioned as successful programs the communities benefit greatly as well as the players. I don't think this should be overlooked or underestimated in this discussion.

4. homerun4

homerun4 Full Access Member

I will argue with anybody that legion baseball is the best for the player,parents, fans and the community. look at the the last 5 years the players that were drafted i do know that several in area 3 played American legion baseball. Now i do agree with the guy from the mountains that the legion brass in North Carolina is trying to destroy legion baseball by watering down the leagues. Also it is sad that kids are being pulled from one direction or another by adults to play this and that let the kids play high school, if they are good enough let them play legion and yes scouts do attend legion games if not find a high school summer team aau or travel team. Everyone doesn't have the money to play on these so called showcase teams,which also leads to dilluted talent and kids leaving the game.

5. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Braves, anytime you find out about Kannapolis playing either South Rowan or Rowan County this summer and you want to come,,,,,, just let me know, your ticket will be waiting on you at the gate and I'll personally buy your hotdogs or burgers at the game if you don't admit that its one of the most exciting and pressure-packed atmospheres for young men to play baseball in. The talent is great, and the players love these rivalries because even the best ballplayers are challenged mentally in atmospheres like this.

And again, if you wait til a playoff game in July, when more's on the line,,, everything just gets bigger and better.

If any of you guys can't make it to one of our games, you western guys can witness the same experience at Shelby, Cherryville or Caldwell County. You will always witness great baseball with electric atmospheres at those places. Folks take it personally in these communities. You find out REAL QUICK which ballplayers are tough enough, and which ones let pressure get to them.

Braves, hope to hear from ya...

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  6. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Just let me know tj when you suggest I come......and I will be there. Man, I'm looking forward to that!!!!

7. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

Seems Pretty Obvious

Some areas of the state offer a great Legion experience and others don't. Its always going to boil down to what the kid think's is best for him. If I lived in Cherryville or surrounding area, I would definitely want my kids to enjoy that atmosphere and competition level. Unfortunately in the Fayetteville area, it just isn't the same. Not even close.