1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Let's Have a Good Discussion

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Braves, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

On the Recruiting Process

Here are some questions that one needs to answer:

- Is my son a D1 prospect? How do you know?
    - Is my son a D2 prospect? How do you know?
    - Is my son a D3 or Juco prospect? How do you know?
    - Do you believe his talent is based on what Summer team he plays on?
    - Do all D1 talent players play D1?
    - Do all talented players receive scholarship offers?
    - Can less talented players receive offers?
    - Are you thoroughly knowledgable about the recruiting process?
    - If your son is a senior and the fall signings are done, is his career over?
    - Can a senior in the spring still receive a D1 offer?
    - Are you confused about the process?
    - Are you confused on what showcases to attend?
    - Do you have a good idea where you should invest your money?
    - Son is injured and had to take a year off, can he still be recruited?

If you have any questions about any of these, then please post them. We will be having quite a few new posters joining us soon who have no idea to the answers. But we have a lot of members who have answers to all of these questions...coaches (HS & College), scouts, parents that have been through the process and players.

For those that are new to the board it is getting close for us to start being serious about HS baseball, the players that play the game and the families experiencing the "next level" process. This board can be an invaluable tool to help...but we can get it started by asking questions.

2. RO/CO

RO/CO Full Access Member

If your son is a senior and the fall signings are done, is his career over?

No, It definetly is not. Most colleges fill there specific needs first during the fall signing period, then make there way back around during the spring. Colleges are also a lot more careful now because of the roster limitations dropping in size. That means they may want to wait longer and make sure that the player they are recruiting is the one they want for sure....

3. Braves

:xyxthumbs:....very good!

I would not be surprised to see a lot of movement this summer. This is the last summer to transfer from D1 to D1 without a penalty

4. edp102

edp102 Cary Resident

OK - so continuing, the next signing period is from April 8, 2008 to Aug. 1, 2008 - when do colleges actually sign/recruit kids not signed in the fall ?

I assume the D1's sign everyone that first week, but what about D2's, D3's, etc. ?

I guess my real question is this - what are the realistical spring/summer cutoffs where you shouldn't be waiting anymore to get signed or recruited ?

5. JTbaseball

JTbaseball Full Access Member

By no means. I had a catcher (currently at Wingate) who was very solid, didn't get picked up until mid summer after coaches came and watched him play during his legion season.

Been covered several times on this board. My advice. Make a list of schools that you think you have interest in both academically and athletically. Next, educate yourself by attending collegiate games of these schools. And take notes if you have to, so that you can reflect, look back at a later date and be honest with yourself as to where you stack up on the field. Do this as well, with admission requirements, etc.

Make another list of "I would never go to school there or play there because......" and then later on, go give some of them a look as well.

For me, there have been several times I have used the "I'll never...." line, and ended up right where I thougth I'd "never" be. And it has been for the better.

Quality baseball programs and quality academic schools can be found at all levels. The same holds true in reverse. Bad programs and not so good academics can be found at all levels.

Side note.......I have coached several players and taught many students that have had to bust there butts for everything and do everything on thier own because of a lack of family structure or support. If you are a high school player that reads this and you fit this mold, keep going. Don't give up and use this board as much as you can. Use these guys and gals on here. Read and listen. Ask questions. The people on here care and can help you tremendously. It can happen for you.

If you are a high school player that has a support system and people who care for you everyday and in every way, don't take that for granted. Walk into the next room and tell them thank you. And keep getting after it.

6. Braves

Amen brother

One thing I try to keep in mind is this: Even though we have discussed many of these issues many times, each year we are flooded with new posters that may be facing these issues for the 1st time. It's through the experience of people such as yourself that will pave a smoother road for them. 6 years ago there was nowhere I could go to seek guidance or information. Thanks to the people that are members here, they have made the process much easier.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  7. BaseballMan

BaseballMan Full Access Member

Everyone should also understand that ACADEMICS plays a huge role in how the talent lines up each year. No matter how talented a kid is, if he can't get his scores, the top programs can't touch him. Conversely, a kid with stellar academics and a little talent can probably find a place to play.

8. Braves

That's one of the answers to these 3 questions

Do all D1 talent players play D1?
    Do all talented players receive scholarship offers?
    Can less talented players receive offers?

9. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

JMHO

Majority of colleges are already looking @ '09 & '10's but you will have some college coaches that will hold out and try to find that stud or diamond in the ruff player that will both be trainable and obtainable for the following year. It happens all the time as coaches are looking for the right chemistry to fill out their rosters with a team member that will benefit the whole package !!! I much rather have a kid that will listen to instruction and is coachable than some cocky all-american that think he knows everything about the game !!!

Guru

10. Indy 85

Indy 85 Full Access Member

My son is entering his junior year. I know he can play at the next level and he wants to play at the next level but no one knows him from Adam. He has been to a couple of showcase events but it was pretty near impossible to standout unless you were a pitcher. He would never leave his team or coach to tryout for showcase teams. He can’t play year round because he also loves his football team. Is this a case of “having your cake and eat it to” or is there an opportunity for players like this to get seen? Does he have to have an outstanding statistical year in high school to get noticed? I am really in the dark about this. Maybe it is too early to worry about but I keep hearing about these kids who are committing to colleges before their junior year.