1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

LLWS

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Village Idiot, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Village Idiot

Village Idiot cloud of dust

heck yeah! Columbus wins!

Attached Files:

2. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

georgia peaches

yes, Ga. had a very good ball club. glad they won.

next year, LL will have pitch count limits. how do ya think that will work out?

3. Village Idiot

Village Idiot cloud of dust

"now johnny, you do know that mike only has 5 pitches left in this game. go up there and take the first two. if he doesnt throw a strike, take two more. got it? good."

j/k

4. Eagles 1313

Eagles 1313 Full Access Member

Found this story while looking at the Columbus, GA newspaper...
    http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/sports/special_packages/little_league/15385211.htm

A whole series of memories can hinge upon a single moment.

One flashback to the Little League World Series will forever remain a photographic memory for Gary Allen. It was the moment right before a fan snapped a picture.

The picture would show Northern pitcher Kyle Carter posing beside a boy in a wheelchair, both wearing baseball caps. It was a picture shot Thursday night, before the first pitch of Columbus' game against Portsmouth, N.H.

The child in the wheelchair was a big fan of the Columbus team. The players had been talking to him through the fence. They decided they would autograph a baseball for him.

Carter delivered the ball. Fans noticed he was in the stands instead of on the field.

"A hush fell over the crowd, and everybody in this area is just watching what's going on," recalled Allen, a Columbus councilor. "There's probably 100 people watching this. Kyle walks up and shakes this boy's hand, introduces himself, and hands this boy the ball. This little boy's mouth falls open. He's so excited, he doesn't know what to do. Kyle reaches down and hugs him."

Then came someone with a camera, and Kyle leaned down to put his head right next to the fan's. But before that, he made an unforgettable gesture: He turned the other boy's cap a little to one side, just like his own.

"The moms had tears in their eyes, and we're standing there with lumps in our throats, and can hardly say anything," Allen said. "It was just one of those special moments."

It was one of many special moments local residents will recount when they remember the year an all-star team from Columbus won the Little League World Championship.

5. yankees

yankees Full Access Member

Pitch Limits

I believe they are going with 85 pitches, is that per game? Or per week? The old rule was based on innings per week and I thought that hurt the development of the better efficient pitchers. You could have a guy red hot on the mound and go 6 innings and only throw 50-60 pitches. I like the pitch count idea better, hopefully it's set up well so a kid can get some good work in on the mound and develope, without being over abused by the coach.

CONGRATULATIONS GEORGIA!!!!! :229031_ha :229031_ha :229031_ha

6. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

Hey Eagles, in a sports world filled with T.O.'s, it's heartwarming to see the purity of LL baseball. Don't tell anyone, but I got tears in my eyes watching the post championship celebration. No champagne or chest thumping. Just hugs & high fives....followed by compassionate embraces between winners & losers. Sportsmanship still lives.

If it's true that God created baseball ("In the Big Inning God created the Heavens & the Earth")...then Monday night I suspect He smiled & said: "It is good."

7. Eagles 1313

Agreed 100%...got a little teary eyed my self....thinking about a Senior League team I helped coach just last summer....memories that you never forget!!

8. EastOfRaleigh

what was that?

yeah someone earlier in this topic was berating Kyle Carter for wearing his hat sideways.............., this episode w/ the wheel-chaired fan shows the kid pitcher has a good heart. also I noticed he coaxed the Japan team to join he & his teammates for the post-game lap around the field, another classy move. don't judge a book by it's cover.

9. EastOfRaleigh

something like this

see this link for new rule on pitching limits for 2007 season; it's a graduated scale based on # of pitches thrown and a rest period required.

http://www.littleleague.org/media/pitch_count_08-25-06.asp

10. Eagles 1313

East of Raleigh....that was my whole point of posting that article...I was reading all the bad on Kyle Carter and found some good.....just this year I again coached a Senior League all-star team (15-16 year olds)....we took a kid this year that has had a rough road...got in with the wrong crowd made some bad decisions that kinda thing and he was moved away for 2 years and has now returned at 16....never had a problem out of the kid and he was probably the leading hitter on the team....many people questions us as coaches on why we took him because they judged him on his past....I'm just glad the kid has turned it around...good kid with tons of speed and lots of talent!