1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Major Controversy in Caldwell County Game

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by DownSouth, Mar 12, 2005.

1. reporter

reporter Full Access Member

yes the umps had warned them. still you just instinctively do something that you have done all your life congratulate someone on a homerun. I'm an SC fan but I felt sorry for the WC guys they had this game won and that is big for them because all these players are good friends and competitors.
    One thing though it is really not the umps fault.( though they should just overlook this rule) You have to put the blame where it belongs and that is on our high school athletic association. I don't think the people in charge there ever played anything other than kick ball or dodge ball and if those were organized sports they would have been cut from those teams. Most people don't know of some of the rules they have made recently but they are rediculous.
    This is one of the bad ones for baseball and softball. Also the players are not supposed to even come out and meet on the side to talk with the coach between innings.
    I also talked to our softball coach and he told of a new rule on not blocking a bag or the plate even after you get the ball that was totally stupid. ( little more detail to it but it was awful). These rules they are making in NC are getting out of hand and something has to be done before they take the fun out of playing high school ball and everyone just starts playing travel and legion ball instead. And believe me it can happen as it already has in some west coast states. WHERE ARE OUR BASEBALL AND SOFTBALL COACHES ASSOCIATION WHEN WE NEED THEM.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  2. watcher

watcher Full Access Member

Does that rule apply statewide in all divisions 1A- 4A??

3. reporter

reporter Full Access Member

YES; but hopefully most of the good umps won't enforce it!!!!

4. scfan

scfan Full Access Member

I was at the game and all I can say is it was a sad day for high school baseball in North Carolina and even though I'm a big South Caldwell supporter
    West caldwell should count this as a win in their column. I think everyone from SC feels bad for them

5. DownSouth

DownSouth Full Access Member

I have a couple problems with this. If it is a point of empasis rule this year, why is he the only umpire enforcing it? I have seen several games this year where the guys have met their teammate on the way home to high-five him or meet him after touching home... nothing.

Also, why is this an issue? If there is taunting going on, thats one thing but it wasn't going on here. If it is a safety issue, the ball is out of play. I have seen some mammoth shots in my day but never one deep enough to go around the world and hit someone in the back of the head that is on the field.

You know how in Caldwell County we love protests. :banginghe The way a rule is enforced by an umpire is protestable. It is not a judgement call, its a rule intrupretation.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  6. PhillyDave

PhillyDave Senior Member

Sorry about that Braves!:agreed:

My bad. :five:

7. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

No prob......:grouphug:

8. tj21

tj21 Moderator

DownSouth,,, how do YOU always seem to end up in the middle of controversy??? :satana:

Btw, this is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen an umpire do. Heckfire anytime a player hits a homerun, there's no harm in his team coming out to jump on him at homeplate. Even if its an opponent and I may be spitting nails over on "MY SIDE", its still a big accomplishment for the hitter.

Now I could understand cracking down if players begin taunting or talking trash, but trashtalking is entirely different from teammates showing support for each other by celebrating when someone hits a homerun.

I agree with some of you guys' thinking,,,, because I'm wondering to myself, even if the NCHSAA has such a stupid rule,,,, why on earth would "this umpire" or ANY umpire decide to enforce it? In baseball, like anything else, there's written rules and then there's "unwritten rules". Certain things in the course of the ballgame are simple part of the game.

Umpires should be focusing their attention on much bigger issues to watch at ballgames than minor stuff like this. This is simply a case where all the high school coaches should ban together and either get the rule changed, or get rid of certain umps...

Its like someone else said, the umps should let the players play the game, and good umps can call a game and they're never noticed...

One last thing to DownSouth,,,, keep this guy up in your neck of the woods, pleeeeeeze... :supergrin

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  9. DownSouth

DownSouth Full Access Member

TJ, I am not sure this guy should be driving long distances and definately not at night because I do think hes blind as a bat when he umpires. I would hate to see him on the road. :1peekdoor

10. tj21

tj21 Moderator

DownSouth,,,, well if he's as blind at making calls, as he is at using good judgement,,,,,,,, then you're right, he don't have any business doing much at all. :agreed:

Do I dare say, stay out of trouble??? :jumprope: