1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Major Controversy in Caldwell County Game

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by DownSouth, Mar 12, 2005.

1. DodgerBlues

DodgerBlues Full Access Member

Here are excerpts from the federtion rules that will answer your question about the out on the homerun, and otherwise generally about appeals.

29. If a runner misses a base, or leaves a base too soon, when all action has ended the umpire will declare the ball dead and call out the runner who missed the base.

30. The defense may appeal a baserunning error by touching the base during live action, and the umpire will declare the out immediately.

Play 7: R1, 2 outs. B1 hits for extra bases. R1 is nearing home, and B1 is nearing third when the throw is returned to the second baseman, who steps on second. The umpire witnessed B1 miss the base and calls him out. Ruling: The run does not score.

Note: If the live ball appeal were not allowed, the defense could not save the run. In the OBR the run would also score since the defense cannot appeal a baserunning error during live action unless the runner is RETURNING to the base.

31. An out is declared even when the defense accidentally tags the missed base.

Play 8: B1 rolls slowly to third. The throw is wild, and B1 legally ducks under the tag at first but misses the bases. The first baseman, in disgust, kicks the bag. Ruling: B1 is out.

2. DownSouth

DownSouth Full Access Member

Game ruled a No-Contest

This whole matter has changed now. This morning the NCHSAA announced their decision to change the outcome of the baseball game from a forfeit to a no-contest. Apparently the rule in its application was no followed because it was a dead ball situation.

I am happy for Kevin Abee and the West Caldwell Warriors. They do not deserve to lose this game for celebrating a home run from a kid that to anyone knowlege has never hit one before and odds are won't do it again. Although it doesn't count, I am sure its a moment that he will never forget.

3. Village Idiot

Village Idiot cloud of dust

Well said

Ejecting an entire team over something like this is horse hockey.

PLEASE let us know if that player hits another homer DownSouth!

4. tj21

tj21 Moderator

........ horse hockey???

Well said Village Idiot... :woohoo:

5. NW4AWATCHER

NW4AWATCHER Full Access Member

Caldwell County Game

First of all, I am glad to hear this game is now declared a no contest game. Everyone seems to blame the ump in this game and I believe he was wrong to end the game the way he did and it just happened to be on a home run hit. This ump warned both teams before the game even began about the emphasis on this rule this year. South's coach told his players not to leave the dugout during this game for anything and they didn't. They even warmed up before batting differently than they usually do. They did not celebrate runs scored, sacrifices, etc. like they usually do. Again they were told this before the game began. West continued to celebrate EVERY run scored, not just the home run. They were warned twice during the game. The ump even went to the dugout to tell them personally. No one will know who really would have won the game because remember South still had 9 outs left and all of us know of games that have turned around in one inning, so even though West thinks they had this game won(more than likely), who really knows? Everyone knows this ump is a stickler for the rules. He even checked every bat before the game, feeling of every bat. Not many umps even do this. He has always stopped games if someone is out of the dugout other than the on deck batter. We all hope this never happens again but the whole story had not been told by West Caldwell fans. This was an extreme situation, but West's coach did not emphasize the rule enough before the game. This team was celebrating the runner batted in before the home run hitter was even to third base. It was at this point the ump walked off the field and said "Game over." Remember he said this before the home run hitter even reached third base. This ump only did what was discussed and emphasized at the umpire clinic. It it the other umps not ruling the same. It needs to be consistent, but hopefully "just change this rule."

6. MVaughn

MVaughn Full Access Member

This was the rule posted earlier. If this is indeed the correct wording, and it is correct that the runner was rounding third base, I would assume the umpire had not put another ball in play (at least he should not have or he would have made another mistake) and if the ball has been hit out of the playing area it is no longer in play. Therefore there would not be a live ball situation so this umpire did not know or understand the rule. If the umpire had cancelled the game sometime later while there was a live ball situation, it would be a little more understandable. What he did was wrong.

7. yankees

yankees Full Access Member

Actually the runner who missed home plate could have run back and touched home plate provided 2 things didn't happen, 1) once he enters the dugout he has left the field of play and can not come back out to touch home plate, and 2) he would have to do so before the batter rounded the bases and touched home plate ahead of the preceeding runner.

At least that is my understanding of the rules and I'll stick by them until proven wrong - that could happen I've grown to learn.

8. EnkaJet04

EnkaJet04 Full Access Member

The rule states that you cannot block the base as a defensive player unless you have the ball. This rule has always been there but never enforced. Susposed to be a point of emphasis this year. I have watched a few college games (softball) where it has not been enforced. If you have the ball then fine you have the right to the bag but not otherwise. Seen too many players hurt by illegally blocking the base without the ball.

9. EnkaJet04

EnkaJet04 Full Access Member

I agree with the fans and players on this rule but I have a question about interpretation of this rule. You say that you feel the ball is dead when it goes over the fence. If so then why does the runner have to run the bases. Are you really saying that the ball is dead when the batter touches home plate?
    Just curious.

10. yankees

yankees Full Access Member

Reply to enkajet

The ball is dead once it leaves the field, this just means that the ball can not be brought back into the field and used by the defensive team to record an out. The batter can only be awarded bases he reaches, hence he must touch all the bases to be awarded a home run. Since the ball is dead he can take his time in doing so, and that is how the Home Run Trot was created.