1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Major Controversy in Caldwell County Game

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by DownSouth, Mar 12, 2005.

1. EnkaJet04

EnkaJet04 Full Access Member

Thanks Yankees, for clearing that up for me.

2. sbmom

sbmom Banned From TBR

What if the player has to move in a position which would be blocking the bag or plate to recieve the throw without having to reach for it. If they have to try to stay out of the way of the runner and try to stretch out to catch the ball you are really setting them up to get badly hurt. Besides blocking the plate is a big part of the game. If this junk keeps up pretty soon they will not let the ball be pitched to the batters because they may get hit. Guess then we will play tee ball

3. TNT

TNT Junior Member

Dead Ball

Yes, when a homerun leaves the park, the ball is officially dead. Here are some other instances (that you may or may not know) where the ball is dead:

1) When a pitch strikes a batter
    2) When a pitch strikes a runner (if the runner from 3rd is stealing home)
    3) When the pitch is intentionally struck a second time
    4) A foul ball that goes out of play (is dead until the pitcher gets a ball steps on the rubber with the batter in the box and the umpire says "play")
    5) A fair batted ball that:
    a) touches a runner or umpire before touching any fielder and before passing any fielder other than the pitcher
    b) touches a runner after passing through or by an infielder and another infielder could have made a play on the ball.
    c) touches a spectator
    d) goes over or through or wedges in the fence
    e) lodges in player equipment
    6) An infielder intentionally drops a fair fly, fair line drive or fair bunt in flight with at least first base occupied and with less than 2 outs.
    7) Pitcher balks (high school rule)
    8) Umpire interferes with the catchers throw

just a few instances, but you see when a fair batted ball goes over the fence it is dead.. .those were straight out of the 2005 NFHS rule book too.

4. hitman

hitman Full Access Member

5. tj21

tj21 Moderator

Hitman, thanks for sharing that newspaper article with us. I like several points that were made in the article.

1)- I like the fact that Rick Strunk said that he's telling booking agents "for everyone to stay on the grass, not on the baselines, until the homerun hitter actually scores". I "think" this means that players can actually come out of the dugouts on homeruns as long as they don't get on the dirt,,,,, am I reading that correctly? Anyway, I'm fine with that, if in fact that's what he means...

2)- I also agree that this specific umpire's ruling (as much as I disagree with the ump stopping the game) I admit that this "one incident" will and HAS raised statewide awareness or "consciousness" (Strunk's word) to this rule.

3)- However (also Strunk's words), I totally agree with his comment that "We would hope its a one-time thing"...

4)- and most importantly,,, I completely agreed with Strunk's last comment when he said, "its our position and what has come out of the national rule is that players should not be penalized for coming out of the dugouts on homeruns unless their actions are unsportsmanlike"..... :trampolin

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  6. EnkaJet04

EnkaJet04 Full Access Member

Some things are a judgement call. But, camping out and blocking the base path while waiting for the ball is giving unfair advantage to the defense. I have seen more players hurt being the runner than the defensive player. The rule has always been there and for good reason. Saw a player last week go down as a runner for this very reason. Fair? to whom?

7. LakeNormanFan

LakeNormanFan Full Access Member

The best umpires are pretty much invisible compared to the action on the field. The more visible and a part of the game the umpire becomes (i.e. inconsistent and/or squeezing the strike zone, highly questionablre calls) the more the game becomes kind of an ego trip for the said official.

What a total rip-off for the outstanding West Caldwell program. :twocents: :bananaban :crap: :rolleyes:

8. reporter

reporter Full Access Member

Blocking the plate has always been a part of the game and should remain so. As I read from another poster on this subject risk and injury will always be a part of sports and if you can't accept that you should not be involved with athletics either playing, coaching or makong up the rules. I don't want to see anyone get hurt but it is going to happen; just don't cheapen the game with so many unnessary rules.

9. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Blocking the plate has been part of baseball the same as lowering one's shoulder and knocking down that said catcher. If they are going to change the rule about sliding vs colliding at home then they need to change the rule about blocking the plate

10. Carolina Man

Carolina Man Caldwell County Post 29

West Caldwell vs South Caldwell

to clear up some earlier questions, there was two home runs hit earlier, and yes the umpire warned West twice about coming out of the dugout before the disqualifications. They disqualified all but three players (the three stayed in the dugout). I understand the rules are in place for safety reasons on a live ball, but there was a home run hit and the players came out of the dugout to congratulate Scott, so this is a dead ball we're talking about here. Baseball players have been coming out of the dugout on home run balls since the beginning of time. South fans & West fans were shocked that this umpire made that call. Although there is a rule to keep players in the dugout this was a outrageous call. Besides West hardly ever beats South at baseball and that was there chance spoiled by a bad call from an umpire. Just another mans thoughts

:77321_bs:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2005