1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Massey Ratings of NC's travel softball teams (this is really cool)

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by Aunt Bee, May 26, 2014.

1. Aunt Bee

Aunt Bee Full Access Member

As many of you know, I've been getting a computer ratings expert to rank NC's travel softball teams for the past few weeks.

Well, got a special treat today.

Kenneth Massey - one of the guys who does the computer rankings for the BCS - has agreed to take the same data and run it through his own computer model.

Check it out -

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=tsb2014&sub=263008

In this, you can click on any team and see all of their wins and losses and opponents. Use the tab under "tsb'' to break the teams down in to their age division.

Play around with it. For example, it has a list of the biggest upsets (results that are the most difficult to explain).

Is this not the coolest thing since the delayed steal of home?

Note: These scores do not include scores from Memorial Day Weekend. They do not include warmup games. They do not include games played out of state unless it was a tournament run by a N.C. organization, or if found or reported independently.

Also, I just noticed that it includes out-of-state teams, which had not been included before. Out-of-state teams are recorded only when they play in N.C. tournaments, or N.C. teams out of state.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  2. CKegley

CKegley Junior Member

Thanks again Aunt Bee! Fantastic information!

3. Aunt Bee

Thanks, CK.

Here's a cool feature. Enter any two teams in the state (regardless of age division, as you can match a 14U team vs. a 8U team if you want), and it will give you a projected score and percentage chance that one team would beat another.

Massey Ratings

4. CKegley

CKegley Junior Member

That's a cool feature. I think these lists are very cool, and I am trying to spread the word about them. As far as I know, you are the only one to do this as an overall mixed list. It is crazy to be able to compare teams from east to west of the state, without them even having to meet.

5. Aunt Bee

The Massey Ratings feature a gadget that allows you to see how two totally different teams are connected. In this case, it shows how an average 8U team (the Southern Sandsharks 05) have an indirect victory over the mighty #1-ranked Carolina Cardinals 14U team.

Massey Ratings

How does that happen? I'm not sure what that trail of scores means, but it's amazing. :)