1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Matching Bat to Player Capabilities?

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by EastOfRaleigh, Mar 5, 2006.

1. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

Looking for recommendations on a bat for HS player. Assuming that the player's hitting tendencies should be a reflection of the type of bat chosen(??, comments?).
    This player is a 10th-grader, relatively small stature, not a power hitter at all, right-handed, more singles-type, hits to right side mostly, makes contact a majority of time, but not with much trajectory or pop. Has a slight "hitch", but not severe, & is working on that slight tendency. Does a good job of not "pulling out" with front foot. Coach is working with her to shorten her swing, to induce more of a slap habit I suppose.

I have been told that the "Anderson Rockettech" composite bat would fit her description, but she says she has tried one & didn't like it , commenting it seemed "top-heavy". I saw a teammate of hers using the Rockettech recently & noticed her hit a ball to mid-leftfield that really seemed to "pop" off the bat but the swing was very compact & not overly powerful.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. cheeze105

cheeze105 Moderator Staff Member

Rocket techs

rocket techs are an end loaded bat, requiring more wrist strength to keep the head of the bat ahead of your hands. My daughter who is 5' nothing had a similar problem as a freshman, lots of singles, mostly to right field, using a 31" rocket tech. Hitting coach took her hands higher in stance, and moved front foot toward third base to increase hip speed (never had a long swing) and the result was 24 doubles soph year, followed by 28 doubles as a junior, most went to the gaps, also used a three pound weight, doing curls, 3 sets of 10, twice a day, increased to five pounds and is swinging a 33 on below 50 pitching and a 32 above 50 pitching, this cured the weak wrist situation. we do have three girls on our hs team who "chop" or slap at the ball, takes practice to place it, but effective weapon.

3. EastOfRaleigh

bat, etc.

Cheeze: I don't think this girl will be dedicated enough to do the weights, etc........ so I assume the rockettech may not be suited?? with this in mind, any other bat recommendations?

4. ladiesbballfan

ladiesbballfan Full Access Member

If you have good bat speed, the Rocket Tech has the pop. To me, it is by far the hottest bat. If the player can't swing it, then go with an 11 oz drop, like a 33 inch, 22 ounce. I like that Easton Stealth. I would rather someone her age use a 33 inch bat and choke up, as opposed to using a 32 inch. JMO.:twocents:

5. betterbatter

betterbatter Full Access Member

What you describe seems to be a timing and/or lack of bat speed problem rather than a choice of bat problem. Shortening her swing and inducing more of a slap habit will create a “linear” swing. That is, her hand path will become linear and body rotation will be limited. This will not speed up her bat. It may even slow it down. Linear hitters can be successful, but they must possess good timing, be very fast running to first base, and be exceptionally smart in the batter’s box. They cannot hit with power.

Rotational hitting if correctly done, will greatly increase bat speed without strength conditioning. Add conditioning and results will be even more striking. The rotational swing uses physics to naturally increase bat speed. A good forum for learning about the details of rotational swing mechanics can be found at www.batspeed.com .

Most high school batters (even 10th graders), unless they are of extremely frail stature, should be able to swing an end loaded bat. Many even swing a minus 8.

No bat can correct swing mechanics deficiencies. Before spending money on bats, go to www.rightviewpro.com and check out their IP300 Instructional Player DVD. It contains tutorials and drills used by top collegiate and Olympic batters. Get her swinging correctly with a rotational swing and her performance will probably improve.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  6. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

techniques and reps are so important. thanks for the post bb!!

7. EnkaJet04

EnkaJet04 Full Access Member

Good Post.... I bought the rightview pro instructional as well. If the mechanics are there you should be able to hit the ball with 2 x 4..

8. Coach Jeff

Coach Jeff Junior Member

Bat

I'd suggest the new 2006 version of the Easton Synergy SCN1B. It's an 11 drop and very light yet seems to have more "pop" than anything except the Rocket Tech (nothing beats the Rocket). My daughtor is 5'1" and weighs 105 lbs at 16 and hits very well with it. Every girl on her team not swinging the Rocket borrows it and that includes those that own equally expensive bats....

9. EastOfRaleigh

Coach Jeff:

purchased a Easton "Stealth CNT-SST3B" (11 drop) bat for my daughter. Found it discounted $20 & free shipping on a website.
    Wish her luck!! I know it takes more than just a specific bat, & she knows that too! She's working hard at it & has a good attitude.

10. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR