1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Maybin gets the call up!

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by wswball, Aug 17, 2007.

1. wswball

wswball Member

I don't even know the kid, but it was fun to watch him today. I believe once he settles down and gets rid of the butterflies he'll put on a show. Exciting stuff.

Here's a pretty good little story about Cameron. I'll try to stay brief. Three or four years ago I met Billy White who used to coach with the Asheville Tourists. (Not sure if he managed or coached.....not that it matters) As a follower of HS baseball, I asked him if he'd heard of Cameron Maybin from Roberson HS, who was a JR at the time. Of course he had heard of him, because Maybin had actually been the bat boy for the Tourists while Billy was there. Billy stated that as a 12 year old bat boy, Maybin would hit with the team and have better rounds of BP than the drafted professionals on the team. It got to the point where the scouts would arrive before the game and ask the coaches "when is the bat boy going to hit?"

2. Hatfield made rain

Hatfield made rain Full Access Member

I know that he was the T's batboy and hit with them on occasion, but it sounds as if the 6 lb. Bass keeps growing the longer the story gets recycled :guitarist: The kid is gonna be special!!!

3. NC Baseball Fan

NC Baseball Fan Full Access Member

what a way to start out. congratulations camron.

4. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

Hey...do you really think the Babe pointed out his home run? Legends require a teeny bit of embellishment. I love this stuff!

5. Hatfield made rain

Hatfield made rain Full Access Member

Oh, I wasnt saying "fish stories" were a bad thing. I love to watch them grow.:4:

6. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I'm glad that I don't tell any "fish stories"....but I do know some involving Cameron

7. UK7Dook3

UK7Dook3 Full Access Member

8. wswball

wswball Member

Hatfield....Not quite sure how the words that came straight from the coach's mouth directly in to my ears results into a 6 lb. bass story that keeps growing. If there was any "embellishing" in that story, it was by him..............not me.

9. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Interesing day against the Rocket... if I am not mistaken, a HR, single and, a HBP by the Rocket... What a story to tell your kids.

I wonder if he rubbed it after he was hit???:4: :4:

Very proud of Cameron.... he was very well spoken in an interview I saw during the futures game this year.

10. yankees

yankees Full Access Member

Did he rub it

I wonder if he rubbed it after he was hit??? yeah he did, but he's got some great memories and a bruise to proof the story for a while. Watching him in the Dugout after his home run was great, their at that moment was no one happier in the world and his teammates were having a ball too.

My Maybin memory is watching him hit one over the pressbox in the outfield at the field that Concord High School plays on as a 13 year old I believe.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007