1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

McDowell coach calls it quits...

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by bigdan, Mar 30, 2004.

1. crestuden

crestuden Full Access Member

Thats what I was thinking. Basketball, soccer, wrestling, baseball just about everything else is bigger and better in the NW4A. Plus teams don't get the respect in a split league that they normally get in a unified league.

2. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

agree with you crestuden but not on the split league respect issue; non conference scheduling is always important in any sport and doesnt factor in

3. smashmouth5

smashmouth5 Fly Eagles Fly

Word is that Coach Kirby is fine with this league. I think he still would have prefered the NW4A since it's not a split con., but this league will provide some solid gates.

4. crestuden

I still want to see Crest back in the NW4A but that conference may never be the same again. Word is that a new school, possibly two schools, are getting built in Burke County. So Freedom and East Burke will go down to 3A and maybe even 2A. And with the merger Crest will be back to 3A size for a while until all the new people in the Boiling Springs area start feeding into the high school. We could have a possible Burke, Cleveland, Rutherford 3A conference in 2009.

5. bigdan

bigdan Prep Hoops Moderator

You know, I've been thinking about that quite a bit lately...The rich tradition that the NW4A has may very well be broken apart when the next realignment comes in 2009-2010 season. The two potential new schools in Burke County will signifacantly lower the size of East Burke and Freedom. But, I still think in Freedom's case, that after taking population growth and other factors, Freedom may be able to barely hang on to 4A status. I would almost feel inclined to think that come the time Burke County has 4 schools, the NCHSAA will either make the NW4A a split conference, or place some of the Burke County Schools (Dependent on Geography) in with Catawba County's 3A schools.

6. crestuden

It will be real shame if the NW4A is broken up during the next realignment. Hopefully the NCHSAA will let a 3A/4A split conference form. Realignment usually makes numbers sense but hardly ever considers traditional rivlaries and forming rivalries.

7. bigdan

Very good point there...I would bet money that the NCHSAA will be forced to make the NW4A a split conference, for the sole reason that McDowell, Freedom and East Burke are all rivals of each other and the respect that all three schools have toward one another. And the fact that I know many people in Burke and McDowell Counties would not go along with being split. Too much money is made in sports when McDowell and Freedom or McDowell and East Burke are playing.

8. smashmouth5

smashmouth5 Fly Eagles Fly

Coach Kirby said that even with the kids Crest will loose to merger they will still have the numbers to stay 4A. Around 200.

9. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

bigdan, so the good people of Burke and McDowell counties would Fight the nchsaa on a split conference.........sorry though.......:roflmao:

indeed those are some huge rival money making matchups when they play in most sports :xyzthumbs

10. bigdan

Oh, indeed I could see the coaches, AD and administration at McDowell, Freedom and East Burke fighting really hard to keep the NW4A together, even if it meant making it a split conference. I know the NCHSAA made that serious mistake last time when they seperated Concord from AL Brown, and now they probably hate making that decision.