1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Meca 8 Conference Outlook

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by NCBBallFan, May 8, 2003.

1. NCBBallFan

NCBBallFan Retired ex-moderator

West Meck 1, North Meck 0

North and Independence end up tied at 8-6 for third place .... I guess the team that goes furthest gets the playoff spot .....

2. PlaysBetter

PlaysBetter Junior Member

WELL

I find it amazing that this NCBaseball man has picked his "All-Conference" team on this thread and has also picked people that HE THINKS are good players or HE THINKS has performed this year. He has overlooked players that have not recieve playing time on better teams because the coaching. Here at North I think that we have few that deserve this all-conference vote. One being Mike Cavissini, he is an all around player, he can hit, run, and play the field with almost anyone in the MECA-8. Honestly this is the only player we have at North that deserves to make all-conference. Our pitchers, altough they began the season with good looking numbers, now have "no arms" because of the coaching and being thrown almost every game, "Porter and Pierce."

This is only what i think about this topic, you should really look into the players that dont get enough playing time, including those at Hopewell that are not recieving what they deserve either. Also, Stage does have one of the best records in the conference, but how you can still say that he is a "pitcher" for hopewell? He is their ACE

Last edited: May 12, 2003
  3. DodgerBlues

DodgerBlues Full Access Member

Re: WELL

Jump on in PlaysBetter. If you'll re-read his posts, NC invites guys like you to post and disagree and labels his posts as his opinions. Those of us not familiar with the Meca 8 on a daily basis welcome his and other opinions about the players in the league. We are trying to learn about all the good players in the area. By all means post your opinions, too, but don't run down NC for posting his.

By the way, some of us regulars have found NC's insights excellent, and we are all grateful for his keeping this board interesting and full of good information, while Braves keeps the Board entertaining. They are quite a one-two punch.

As for the guys not playing much, I agree that there are many players all over who don't get the innings they deserve, but it is hard to highlight their accomplishments when they're not playing. When they have great summers and falls, highlight them here and they'll get their exposure!

4. NCBBallFan

Nahh ... I haven't picked anything .... I just threw out some names to get a positive conversation rolling...

I knew I was leaving off lots of qualified guys .... but if you want to have a discussion, you gotta start somewhere .

It's good to have another person interested in the Meca 8 posting ... welcome aboard Playsbetter ...
    :xyzthumbs :xyzthumbs :xyzthumbs

5. NCBBallFan

Couple of other guys that I like .... neither one got as much playing time as I would have liked to see for them, but they have some talent, that's for sure....

Jaryd Keesee, Hopewell ... ended up with a 4-0 record on the bump... Throws hard, didn't get many starts early in the year, but has come on very well.

Dan Portone, North Meck .... He didn't play much early, moved into the starting line-up about half-way through the season and, at one time, was hitting about .500 for the year. Great speed, strong arm, loads of potential.

Some other guys to keep an eye on...

Worley @ Vance
    Nicholson & Cooke @ Indy
    Smith @ Central Cabarrus

6. NCBBallFan

First Round Matchups for the Conference Tournament:

Post them here guys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. bigdaddymfstains

bigdaddymfstains Junior Member

Im not exactly sure, but this is what ive heard so far....

-Hopewell vs. West Charlotte
    -Central Cabarrus vs. West Meck
    -North Meck vs. Vance
    -Indy vs. Harding

I kno semis and finals will be at Central, but i think the 1st round games are at home

8. NCBBallFan

Think it's: but I'm not 100% sure either....

Hopewell vs Vance
    North Meck vs West Charlotte

First round games are at the home of the higher seeded team. As of right now, the 2nd round is at the home of the higher seeded team with the Championship game at Central Cabarrus ..... but like EVERYTHING in the Meca 8, that's subject to change.

Last edited: May 12, 2003
  9. NCBBallFan

Quarterfinal Results
    Independence 2, Harding 0
    Central Cabarrus 9, Vance 2
    West Meck 1, Hopewell 0
    North Meck 11, West Charlotte 0

Semi-Final Results
    North Meck 5, West Meck 2
    Independence 8, Central Cabarrus 6

Conference Tournament Championship Game
    North Meck vs Independence 7:00 Thursday @ Central Cabarrus

Winner gets the #2 seed for the Meca 8 in the State Tournament, loser ends their season.

Last edited: May 14, 2003
  10. NCBBallFan

Meca 8 Highlights

Central Cabarrus took care of business Tuesday night against Vance, winning 9-2 in 7 innings.

Zac Farry (Independence) started against John Killian (Central Cabarrus) tonight. Zac was working ahead of the hitters well. Independence was also hitting the ball well and jumped out to a 6-0 lead after 3 innings. Central mounted a comeback in the 4th, scoring 5 runs, but Independence scored insurance runs in the 5th and again later in the game to hold off Central 8-6.

But Central kept it interesting, mounting a comeback before falling 8-6 in a Meca 8 Semi-final matchup.

Drew Holt (Independence) pitched a fine game against always tough and competitive Rodney Quinn (Harding). Independence came out on top 2-0.

Zack Butler (West Meck) pitched an outstanding game over 8 innings against Hopewell. He was matched pitch-for-pitch by Andrew Cruse before West Meck pushed over a run in the top of the 8th and Hopewell couldn't answer back for the 1-0 victory.

Zack Rosenbaum, Alan Parks and Benji Sheehan pitched a combined no-hitter against West Charlotte.

Zack Bulter belted a 2-run homer for West Meck in tonights game against North Meck in the top of the first inning. Biggs was on the mound for West Meck and he made it stand up for 3 innings before the speed of North Meck took it's toll. He pitched very effectively through 5 innings, when he started to tire.

Sam Pierce after surrendering the homer in the first to Zack Butler settled down and pitched a very good game. He loaded the bases in the 6th with 2 BB and a batter reaching on error with one out, but pitched out of the situation without allowing any score. After allowing 2 hits in the first, he held West Meck to 1 hit in the 7th.

Tomorrows game:

North Meck versus Independence

Last edited: May 15, 2003