1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Merged Thread: AC/Watagua postings

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by homerun, May 14, 2003.

1. tcent41

tcent41 Junior Member

I don't think catamount knows what umps can and cannot control. There are 40 players, at least 4 coaches, and 700 fans. Can we expect umps to control everything that goes on? Impossible. I wonder how many games catamount has umped. I am guessing 0. I know the home plate ump personally-- he has 20 years experience and is often requested to officiate playoff games.

2. ACfootball99

ACfootball99 cant hide the dline pride

The Game

Okay here is my take on the game. First of all both teams got what they got by rule, whether they deserved it or not but thats the rules. Also, Watuaga got what they deserved from the ACHS players. Alexander was clearly the better team on the field and clearly won the fight, also. Its a shame that ACHS cant go to the playoffs, but they did what they had to do to protect one of their brothers.

3. ACHSfan

ACHSfan Junior Member

Whether you think this incident is right or wrong, the Cougars did what they had to do: protect their teammate.

However, the fight could have been prevented. Had the umpires, parents, and people running the tournament, etc. took the initiative to take down the signs and take care of the unruly fans, this all could have been avoided. It's a shame that this cost ACHS a championship title and quite possibly a few scholarships.

4. playme

playme Full Access Member

to say that the NCHSAA made the right decision is not exactly correct...

ACHS the #2 seed beat McDowell the #3 seed to advance to the championship round ...Watauga the #4seed beat S. Caldwell the #1 seed to advance to the championship round...

ACHS #2 seed was ahead of the #4 seed Watauga team when this mess occured...

the bracket at stake here is NW4A #2 vs ME-CA 8 #2

ACHS finished the regular conference schedule in second place and was awarded the #2 seed for the tournament...Watauga was #4 all the way around...since neither #3 McDowell or #4 Watauga beat #2 ACHS in the tournament and finished behind ACHS in Conference standings then neither should be awarded the #2 seed by the plain and simple fact they never earned it, and the ME-CA 8 #2 should advance by virtue of forfeit because the #2 seed NW4A has been disqualified.

5. 007

007 Full Access Member

It's a crying shame that after all the great baseball in the NW4A this season, it had to end like this. Ironically, the fiasco started with a bad throw into right field by Watauga's pitcher. A classic example of having the frustrations of one mistake leading to a (far worse) second mistake.

Although I was pulling for Watauga, I am truly sorry that ACHS can not advance. IMO they have the best team in the NW4A, and the pitching depth to go deep into the state tournament. Lost in the shuffle was a tremendous pitching effort by Jordan Hefner, who seemed to work out of a jam every inning.

I hope everyone involved learns a good lesson from this, including Watauga's two obnoxious fans.

6. catamount

catamount Junior Member

tcent41.....umpire for 13 years in the Rowan County area. I agree with the amount of people and how hard it is to control, but the ump should have taken control early on. I noticed several things that could have been handled better.

7. rams12bb

rams12bb Full Access Member

Some of the comments I've read are as about absurd as the fight. The comments I'm talking about are the ones that include who won the fight and how many players from each school were rumored to go to the hospital as a result. The fact is that nobody won the fight. Everyone lost!!! Both teams are sitting at home as a result, and both schools were penalized and fined. When you start talking about who wins the fight and who had more go to the hospital, you're doing nothing but adding fuel to what will already be a tense situation the next time these two schools are involved in an athletic contest.

Last edited: May 15, 2003
  8. achscougarfan

achscougarfan Junior Member

to: achsinbreadrednecks

You know what? I thought that your comments were the most degrading to the Watauga High School Athletics program as the fight was. I really can not believe that you would get on this forum and cuss like you did. People can express their opinion without all of that ugly talk.

I'll bet that Leyshon really appreciates you telling everyone that he has put other people in the hospital also. My only question is: if he has then why in the world did the athletic program allow him to be on the team anyway. Thanks for letting us in on the information.

And what you said about "wait till next year". I hope that we are never in the same conference with Watauga again. It looks like nothing good will ever come out of the two teams meeting each other in the future.

9. bebcheer

bebcheer Junior Member

Watauga

achscougarfan

There was NO aggressiveness in the catchers tag. He was doing what he should have been. Taging this guy out. I don't agree with what Leyson did. But it looks to me like your team had no control either. The whole cougar bench ran on to the field. Despite what you think about Watauga we do not have bad sportmanship! ACHS bench was the first to clear! I am very sorry that your runner went to the hospital. I hope he is doing well. But both teams deserve blame. ACHS has bad sportsmanship. I was in the stands and the whole time they were yelling crude things and insensitive remarks. Oh and by the way when ACHS scored those homeruns would you call that sportsmanship when they ran on the field and stared at the Watauga dugout shoving it in their faces. That was uncalled for.

10. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

I have cleaned up the language in one of these posts. Anymore with foul language will just be deleted. If you feel the need to vent, go ahead, but the language will be kept clean.