1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Metal Cleats

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by chachacha, Feb 20, 2008.

1. chachacha

chachacha Full Access Member

Anyone bought their daughters metal cleats for this high school season? If so, how do they like them and what brand did you buy?

2. LDFRDGUY

LDFRDGUY Banned From TBR

We got them about 3 weeks ago, originaly tried to get the rubber ones but they were out of stock until april and her old ones were shot so really didn't have a choice unless I went to another brand and no others seem to last like the ringors as far as pitchers anyway. My dd said she didn't see much difference except for getting used to the shoe not slideing any when she pushes off the mound.

3. 3bagger15

3bagger15 Full Access Member

My dd is a freshman in college so she was going to metal anyway. Absolutely loves them. Her team went with the Mizuno, can't remember the exact model but very good, super lightweight.. HS girls also using mizuno.

4. Coach Roger

Coach Roger Full Access Member

Not sure I understand the point of metal cleats. Certainly not for HS, if at all. No substantial value added vice the increased risk. JMO

5. FPitch99

FPitch99 Full Access Member

Agree 100%!

My DD pitched last year at the 18U level, and she will not be switching to metal cleats for this season, high school or TB. Don't really see the need for metal, and our pitching coach believes that it will only lead to some injury issues for some of the pitchers. If you ever go to plant and turn, and your foot doesn't turn because your metal cleats are spike into the ground, the end result will not be a good thing. I played baseball all the way through college, and I experienced a couple of ankle turners that probably would not have occured with non-metal cleats. I also was witness to some pretty ugly cuts from metal spikes. One time saw a teammate go head first into second base, only to have his hand come out a bloody mess, requiring 20 or so stiches. Hope we don't see anything like that this season, as I have noticed many a girl already making the switch to metal. Time will tell.

6. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

Scrimmage Last Fall

Our third baseman experienced cleats last fall when our TB Team played Guilford College in an invitational round robin. She got cleated in the butt,and it tore her pants,and she told us later it left a big bruise :butt:

Guru

7. carochicks

carochicks Full Access Member

Ringor Cleats

My DD just got a pair of Ringors. She likes them but she hasn't played a game in them yet. Ringor has some good prices on closeouts check out the link.

https://www.ringor.com/pc/merch.asp?fid=28

8. Panther29D

Panther29D Member

My DD got the Mizuno's. Absolutely loves them, except for the fact that she is a shortstop. I can see her face getting red already, and she hasn't even taken one in the ankle yet. lol
    I guess we'll be investing in some ankle protection also.

9. chachacha

chachacha Full Access Member

Thanks for the link Carochick. Has anyone bought the Under Armor metal cleat? I was looking at them for my daughter.

10. marlinfan1

marlinfan1 Full Access Member

Dirt skates rock!!!!.....

.....imo, WOW, its a sad day in the world of sports when progress of equipment is inevitable, but will also lend a hand in folks forgetting the love and pure enjoyment of a kid on a concrete basketball court, slivered with dust and sand, sliding his way into the ultimate fastbreak layup. same holds true for the frying pan hot, hard clay infield of a fastpitch game, when a kid plants her foot in her field/catch/throw routine, atleast 3 ft. away from the ball in order to allow for the 'ol plastic cleat slide into position.! Now its hard to beat those old videos! Power to the dirt skates!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008