1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

METRO LEAGUE PARTICIPATION

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by yankees, Sep 12, 2007.

1. spartanball

spartanball Full Access Member

Oh!!! That does clear it up.
    Thanks!!!!

2. the sandman

the sandman Junior Member

Unfortunately your son is at an age where, regardless of how many sports he excels at, he is going to have to choose in order to progress to the next level or accept a support role on a team behind another player that has made the commitment to one sport. Unlike when we grew up and sports seasons had a very definite beginning and end, now they run into and over each other. My son has played varsity basketball and baseball and invariably each year one sport compromises his ability to prepare for the other, so he dropped basketball. It's not an easy choice, but these days it's a choice that needs to be made in order to maintain focus if kids want to play a sport beyond high school.

3. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

Thanks for the comments Sandman. You may be right. I'm still confused how all these college coaches keep telling me they like kids who play more than 1 sport but to progress everyone says you have to choose one sport. Maybe one has to be a priority and the other becomes secondary. If you are correct he's got about a year left before he has to decide.

4. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

Well,

There are some highly dedicated kids out there that want it very badly. Some even to the point they are willing to not play a sport they "like" in order to be the best in a sport they "love". Too Harsh? Sorry. Too much dancing around the truth for me.

How can anyone that wants to see their baseball program and players be the best they can be not be for this? Could it possibly be that some people are afraid that their kid will fall behind the others if the others take advantage of these opportunities? So they take a stand against opportunities for others because they see it as a threat to their kid.

When we get an opportunity to better our sport , better our programs , help our players develop their abilities , give more kids an opportunity to compete - we should jump on it like a hobo on a ham biscuit and not try to find reasons to shoot it down.

5. Coach 27

One Putt

ask yourself this question. If you were a college coach would you rather have a kid that plays mulitple sports that is pretty good? Or have a kid that excells at the sport you coach? The only time that statement about kids that play two sports would factor into the equation is if they liked the way the kid played the sport they coached. But do you think they would not recruit him if they found out he didnt play two sports?

6. One Putt

I think everyone wants the program.

Obviously coaches recruit 1 sport athletes. But given the choice of a good baseball player who plays one sport vs. a good baseball player that plays more than one sport, then who do they choose? Your question was over a 'pretty good' player. Make it apples to apples. A good player that plays one sport vs. a good player that plays two sports.

My issue is related to something up here. Nothing with the Metro league. We have a fall league and it's on weekends when more kids can play. Works great.

7. Play Ball

Play Ball Full Access Member

Very well said, Coach. I love sports for many reasons. One of those reasons is the valuable life lessons it teaches our boys which extend beyond the playing field. This is an example of one of those lessons. You have to make choices that are right for you, and dedication and hard work are the keys to success on and off the field. It's all just part of life.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  8. Coach 27

That would depend on other factors

Two players that are both good players. One plays baseball only the other plays two sports. Coaches can look at this in many ways. Does he really love baseball or football? I wonder if he can dedicate himself to baseball year round? I like this kid because he played football. He is probaly a tough kid and disciplined. Or they could not care at all and just look at the baseball ability with the other sport stuff being a non factor. The question is going to be "Can this kid play for us"? No coach is going to offer a kid in one sport because he played another. If a kid plays football because he thinks the college baseball coaches will like that - thats probaly not a good reason to play football. The best way to get recruited to play baseball is to be really good in baseball.

9. One Putt

I'm not positive but I don't think this 'life lesson' is limited to the sport of baseball.

10. Play Ball

Play Ball Full Access Member

You're correct One Putt. It obviously applies to all sports. I was just speaking of baseball at the moment.