1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

METRO LEAGUE PARTICIPATION

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by yankees, Sep 12, 2007.

1. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

The thought of playing football because college baseball coaches might like it never crossed my son's mind. He plays because he loves it and he can play the game and he has the talent.

2. One Putt

ok

3. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

I can assure you that a son that plays two or more sports will not be left behind. The reason most coaches like a two sport participant is because the kid is an athlete. One Putt, I suggest that you continue to allow your son to play anything and everything he enjoys. Does it cause him missing out on some things (like fall showcases)? Perhaps. But, my opinion only, the positives of participating in multiple sports in HS far outweigh any concerns of falling behind.

When he gets a little older, he may find that he is more talented in one particular sport and might confine his activities to that one, but even then, it's a personal choice that for him it's better to continue both sports.

Wade Moore @ West Rowan, Faggert brothers @ NW Cabarrus are a few off the top of my head that were able to successfully play football and baseball all through HS. There are many more

4. One Putt

Jason Wallace at Ragsdale did it for three years. He's now at App. State.

5. Plate Dad

Plate Dad It is what it is!!!!

One Putt. Understand your situation and stand on it. You are right. It is not Apples and Apples. More like Apples and a Pear for you. An Apple and Grapes here. It seems that every school system has differant controls and evryone is on a differant page. For my son here are the options.

1. Play for a showcase team. (weekend events no practice except on his own)
    2. Play a local fall league (weekend games no practice except on his own)

3. School workouts (coaches restricted to how many players they can coach)

Not many options. As it has been said. We must do what we think is correct for our situation. It is hard for a player to workout on the things that will make him a better player. Yes he can do tee work, run, the basic stuff. But for the pitcher that does not have access to a coach that knows pitching, a catcher that needs the instruction on his position... ect . How do they do it? Guess and form bad habits?? This is where we lose out. Restrictions for school systems. Some people have all the fun. As for playing two sports. Yes there comes a time that one must decide. Want point. Who knows!!! I think it important also to look at the player. We all have known a player that works, works and works. And that is it. Sometimes playing two sports gives a kid an option. Do not give up. Only you know your kid and his true place in the real world.

6. SoutherNo1

SoutherNo1 Full Access Member

Plate Dad, I don't know where you live, but you CAN find instruction for baseball players in NC. You may have to travel a little, but it's out there.

7. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Brave's Hittin' Pitchin' Fieldin' Coachin' Akademy

Where our motto is " We're cheap...whattdaya expect?"

Seriously, I have found there are a ton of great coaches and clinics across the state

8. One Putt

I would agree there is quality instruction throughout the state.

But back to the topic of the new Metro League. We got side-tracked and it was mostly my fault. Sorry.

9. HQ4 Baseball

HQ4 Baseball teaching youth baseball!

Metro League

Great posts guys!

METRO LEAGUE - In a nutshell: Players can get good training, development and instruction, work with their high school's baseball staff to enhance their high school baseball experience, work with other players from their school district to develop team chemistry, get more game time in a high school baseball atmosphere, all at a fraction of the cost of traditional travel, academy and showcase teams.

Coaches can teach, coach, develop and protect their players, advance their school programs, see players in game situations and be compensated for their time.

Metro League started in the Charlotte area this past summer and is now into a fall season. The idea came about a couple of years ago sitting around with some of the area HS coaches listening to horror stories about lots of different players in lots of different playing atmospheres.

During fall workouts one player told his coach, "Coach, I can't throw a bullpen today, I pitched 11 innings for my travel team this past weekend". Another player told his coach "Coach, my other team's coach told me to make sure I used a 30 OZ. bat so I'd develop more bat speed." Another said "Coach, we do it this way on my other team". The comments from players made us think there had to be better options for the players, HS coaches and HS programs that would help the players, coaches and programs.

How many times have you seen a high school team loaded with talent that just did not play up to what we all thought was their potential? Maybe we thought they were better than they were? Maybe they did not develop team chemistry because they went their separate ways each weekend and at the end of the season? THEY WERE A GROUP OF GOOD PLAYERS BUT NOT A TEAM???

Some academy teams, travel teams and showcase teams do a great job but others seem to just drain your wallet while selling us parents a bill of goods that simply is not true! How many "showcase" events do college representatives attend for players less than 17 years old. NOT MANY! We have commitments from several college representatives to attend our end of season tournament and the numbers will grow as our league grows. They will come to where the players are.

Metro League and AM Legion Baseball - We are big fans of AM. Legion Baseball. Both Metro & Am. Legion are eligible to start as soon as the HS season is over. We view Am. Legion baseball as a great avenue for summer baseball competition mostly for graduating high school seniors and returning college freshmen. The underclassmen don't usually get much development or playing time on most legion teams. We'd like for Metro League to be a feeder system for Am. Legion baseball. By the way, AM Legion and Metro are the only two programs in the state approved by NCHSAA to start before school is out for summer vacation.

METRO LEAGUE (NCHSAA approved)
    • HS coaches may form teams from their school zone. (teams are not officially associated with the school or school system)
    • Coaches may coach 1 team from their school with up to 18 players on a roster with only two restrictions from NCHSAA. 1) no games or practices may be scheduled during exam week. 2) Metro league schedule is not to interfere with the HS baseball season.
    • Additional teams from a school zone may be formed as long as no baseball staff members are part of the coaching staff of the additional teams. Coaches may generate lineups, submit practice plans and have input with the additional team coaches in order to help develop his players and program.
    • There is no rule against dual participation although coaches may set a minimum commitment level to allow their team's league play to happen.
    • There is a per player fee used to pay a league fee for each team. The league fee is used to pay umpires, insurance and other league expenses. The player fees may include coaches compensation.
    • Booster clubs are encouraged to collect a maximum $3 per person gate fee and to operate a concession stand in order to earn money to go to the schools baseball fund.
    We've put a lot of effort and thought into the planning and implementation of the Metro League but are open to questions and comments to help improve the experience for the players!

If we can provide within the NCHSAA rules local competitive league play, good instruction and development & exposure all at a much reduced cost, WHY NOT!

We've grown from 7 teams this past summer to 10 teams this fall.

Fall Metro Teams: Myers Park, Hopewell, East Meck, South Meck, North Meck, Mallard Creek, Home School, Core1, Core2 & Charlotte Metro

A fall game schedule will be posted in the next couple of days on our metro website www.metroshowcasebaseball.org Come to a game and check us out!

Metro League is sponsored and managed by HQ4 Baseball
    Al Dahlgren & Marty Barker

10. homeplate

homeplate Full Access Member

If you want to help build your legion programs register under american legion jr. baseball . this is for th 17 & under age group.