1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Mid Season Slump

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Deacon32, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Deacon32

Deacon32 Full Access Member

2-3, walk, 2 rbi's--nothing pretty, but effective. Thanks O. Your insights are appreciated. Kid feeling better. Home happier.

2. neckball

neckball Full Access Member

Slump

Don't worry too much when you're in a slump, it will end. It's when you've got that hot streak going that you need to worry because it's going to end too!

3. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

One thing I try to do is look for anything that may be putting pressure on the kid from a psychological aspect. I want them to relax at the plate and not put any pressure on himself. I currently have a player experiencing this problem in that we brought him up from JV (SOPH) and in 6 games has not had a hit yet, but he is my best defensive second baseman. His swing mechanics are really good, he is too anxious. Right ow I am working to lessen the pressure on him so it doesn't affect his defense. I will probably DH for him later this week. To me you try to continue to build confidence through tee work, and drill, drill, drill, but sometimes too it isnt a bad idea to take a break and regroup.

4. gatorfan

gatorfan Member

When my son was little, we'd send him to a lesson and whether they actually fixed anything or not, the idea that the problem was fixed was usually enough. Later on, he had a coach that would work with him a little and fix him right up. I never knew if it was a mental or mechanical solution, but it always worked.

5. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Ahhh....you are so wise, gatorfan!!! The less one analyzes ...the better...in most cases!!

It's also amazing when one's mechanics are sound and they feel comfortable at the plate...that the golfball size baseball starts looking like a softball.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2004
  6. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

What about an allllllllllllll.........

season long slump? Can t hit Cant field Cant run?????????? Coaching probably huhu....... :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

7. Braves

Nope...but if you get a bunch of them, it will get a coach fired:D

8. The "O"

The "O" Full Access Member

yupperrs.............

:banana:

9. coachevans26

coachevans26 Full Access Member

Fielding Slump

Here's one...

You have a two year starter, let's say he's your shortstop. He can field all balls in the holes to both sides, but absolutely misses any routine balls hit right at him. (kinda like Steve Sax or Chuck Knaublauch in fielding, not throwing). His mechanics using paddles and bare hands are great but he puts the glove on and it becomes an automatic E-6. What do you do next?

Think on that one guys...

10. Braves

What a great question. I had a SS that did the same thing. He could make all the plays in the hole, but if you hit a ball right at him...he would always fumble it. His problem was different than others though. As a SS, he was charging the ball hit to him, but with one minor fault....he was flat footed...making the ball appear to "jump", much like a flat footed OF. After a minor correction (balls of his feet)..it was corrected.

Others, at times, don't have the glove out in front. They play the ball with their glove to close to their body. I'm sure there is a myriad of potential corrections. I remember one guy in the minors who was a celebrated SS (Bobby Valentine). He could make all the plays, too..except the ones that he had to charge. They came up with the perfect solution for him...moved him to Centerfield:D