1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Minimum Lighting Requirements for Softball Fields

Discussion in 'Softball Forum' started by RRSBALL, May 7, 2006.

1. RRSBALL

RRSBALL Play Hard

In reading information on the NCHSAA website, I ran across a section on State Playoff facilities meeting "minimum lighting requirements". No specifics were given it simply states no playoff games will be played at facilities that do not meet minimum lighting requirements, then says to write to ask for copy of the reqs. Does anyone happen to know the requirements spoken of and if a school does not meet these requirements, is there some avenue to take to strongly encourage AD or BOosters to get the ball rolling to get lights for the softball field?
    Softball seems to be secondary in many areas and school based personal do not seem to think anything of it.

2. 42un81

42un81 Junior Member

Softball Lighting

There are different requirements for different leagues. I'll start with Professional. The first number represents the infield lighting and the second will represent the outfield and the values are given in footcandles.
    Professional-50/30
    Semi-professional-30/20
    Industrial League-20/15
    Recreational (6-pole)-10/7
    These requirements are listed in the IES (Illuminating Engineering Society of America Handbook, 1987 version)
    To give you an idea of the light level...professional ball, telecast at night will have approximately 100 footcandles on the field. That's why you can see such detail in the close ups.

I don't know of any special circumstances that would require a school or rec asscociation to provide any lighting. Lighting a ball field is expensive. That's the biggest restriction I know of. Some lighting companies, such as MUSCO or GE, will "work with" the organizations to put in their lights. Good luck.

3. TheOriole

TheOriole Full Access Member

WOW!

42un81 u r definitely a research anaalyst/guru I am surely impressed!:229031_ha :229031_ha :229031_ha

4. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

First of all the average cost to light a softball field with the proper lighting could run well over a 100,000 dollars..I'm happy with the $225.00 that I pay now, don't need to be paying for lighting...what would be nice is to have people like C.C. that can donate large amounts of money to the program, and then benefit from it witout the burdens..........YEA RIGHT !!!

:ylsuper:......................Softball Guru

5. Bmac1

Bmac1 Full Access Member

Three years ago the West Forsyth Athletic Booster club paid less than $40,000 to light the softball field.

6. CFBall

CFBall Senior Member

yep....doable

but with inflation....."get busy". just a suggestion.

7. Softball Guru

Softball Guru Banned From TBR

Maybe so,but the proper lighting would well exceed your $40,000 dollars. I can get to work on a bicycle,but I would rather drive a car..but I could still get there.......Get The picture ???

:agreed:--------------------- Softball Guru

8. Bmac1

Bmac1 Full Access Member

Guru- I respectfully disagree. The lighting at the West Forsyth field is excellent and surpasses the NCHSAA standards. If you would like the name of the lighting company used, let me know and I will be happy to send that to you.

I know of a local HS baseball field that was quoted $87,000 last year for new lights, but of course that is a larger area to light.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  9. Bmac1

Bmac1 Full Access Member

Questions Answered

Just in case anyone was interested, here is a link to the NCHSAA athletic field lighting standards.

http://www.nchsaa.org/pdf/3951.pdf

10. Braves

Braves Watauga Pioneers #6

Most high school fields will cost you near $100,000. That is what South Meck paid 3 years ago...but they received a high end lighting fixtures at a deep discount.

Many places have used Musco. I assume they are less expensive and I have heard they will work with you financially.