1. This Board Rocks has been split into two separate forums.

The Preps Forum section was moved here to stand on its own. All member accounts are the same here as they were at ThisBoardRocks.

The rest of ThisBoardRocks is located at: CarolinaPanthersForum.com

Welcome to the new Preps Forum!

Dismiss Notice

Monday's Tryouts

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by papagrande44, Feb 9, 2008.

1. TheOriole

TheOriole Full Access Member

alot...

of interesting and corrrect insights here! I am one who also agrees it is time to let your "son" go so to speak number one...amd if by chance they are not good enuf perhaps they would be observant and more committed to now knowing what it is going to take and try again NEXt season!

2. Stretchy

Stretchy Full Access Member

MLB reverses Harrington Ban: Brain Fingerprinting Test Supports Innocence

Pittsboro, N.C. (February 11, 2008) – Brain Fingerprinting Laboratories, Inc. announced today that Major League Baseball has reversed the ban of Mr. Gman Harrington's son and ordered a new trial, capping a 22-year-quest for justice by the Sultan of Squat.

In Major League Baseballs 12-page decision, the commissioner found that Perfect game had failed to give Harrington’s lawyers eight separate showcase reports that could have cast doubt on testimony that any kid could actually be better than "little Gman".

Mr. Harrington has maintained that no kid could ever cover as much ground as his, let alone spit seeds from the dugout to the bullpen. In April 2006, Dr. Lawrence Fartwell, Chief Scientist of Brain Fingerprinting Laboratories, conducted a Brain Fingerprinting test on Mr. Harrington. Brain responses showed conclusively that the record stored in Harrington’s brain was as empty as his refrigerator is after one of his midnight binges. When Dr. Fartwell confronted Andy Partin, the key talent witness, he recanted his testimony and admitted that he had lied in the original ID results, ranking "little Gman" last, and he had done so due to a large payoff by an anonymous Rocky Mount sponsor.

Harrington recruited numerous TBR coaches to aid in this incredible scam. In addition to the Brain Fingerprinting findings, they presented additional t-ball stats that were recently discovered, including old rubber corked home run baseballs that would have helped Harrington get his kid a skolley. Major League Baseball held that keeping this information from Harrington denied him due process and required that every College send Gman's kid a certified national letter of intent.

Additional details of the Harrington vs. Major League Baseball case are available at:
    http://www.howdumbcanthisdadbe.com

The Harrington case first received national attention in December 2007 when [FONT=Arial,Italic]WHIG-TV [/FONT]featured Dr. Fartwell’s Brain Fingerprinting test of Mr. Harrington on the Stretchlon Sports Show. For more information on Brain Fingerprinting, log onto http://www.budda.com

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2008
  3. Mudcat

Mudcat gone

So how did tryouts go for you today?

4. GloveSide

GloveSide Full Access Member

Just exactly what are they trying out for?

Im kind of getting the idea that these "tryouts" are just neccesary, mandated, evil regulated into the ordeal of the game by the NCHSAA or any other state regulating agency.

If preseason workouts are more or less the norm and some have suggested that the coaching staffs have more or less decided on who their team is going to be, I guess then that the tryouts are more or less just a "cattle call," a neccesary evil to say that they followed the rules and let every little "bubba" tryout for his beloved school!

So the next two days are what? Tryout days? Right!

What are the coaches actually looking for if they have already seen a good deal or all of the kids that are likely to play on their teams?

How can a kid distinguish himself by trying out? If the teams are already decided then what is the kid to do?

The kids that did not attend these pre-season workouts get one or two looks from a coaching staff and thats it. I don't mean the kids in sweet pants and running shoes. I mean the kids that played ball all spring and fall last year. I know alot of kids that played ball spring, fall, and stopped in Nov. NOV/DEC/JAN was rest time.

5. Stretchlon

Stretchlon Stars

How sweet it is...

This kid for sure has no prayer to make any boy's team!!

6. Gman13'sdad

Gman13'sdad Full Access Member

Now Stretchy...

I take offense in the allegation that my fridge is empty... this physique was not developed overnight. Unless you count the steroids found in chickens and cows, it's all natural! As for my head being empty...

7. Coach 27

Coach 27 Full Access Member

Gloveside

The players getting the most looks will be the ones that did not attend the off season workouts. The reason for this is we have no idea what they can do. Off season workouts can not be mandantory and you can not punish a kid for not coming in the off season and working out. They are punishing themselves in my opinion for not taking the time to come up and hit and work on fundementals. They are punishing themselves for not coming up and working on core strength , speed and agility.

Yesterday we had around 24 JV guys show up. Sixteen of the JV guys attended no offseason workouts. Many I was seeing for the first time in my life. And all 16 of them for the first time on a baseball field. So our attention was solely on them when evaluating their ability. In the back of my mind Im asking myself why in the world they waited from August to Feb to show up at the field. But thats another story. If they are good enough to make the team they will make the team. If they are not they wont. I will say that not one of them was as good as the 8 other JV guys that had been coming since July to off season workouts. It was not even close.

We did not have any varsity aged players Jr's or Sr's show up that had not been at the off season workouts. We are still expecting around 6 more guys to come out once basketball is over. All of them will be JV aged players. I dont think players that do not come to off season workouts have any idea how far they fall behind their peers when they take off 7 months to rest while the other guys are out there working at getting better. Maybe some will Weds when we make our cuts. We will see.

8. One Putt

One Putt Full Access Member

Some of you may torch me for this comment but I don't think we have had a player come out and make the varsity without coming to workouts. It's not because our coach missed a diamond in the rough. It's because anyone that gives a hoot about the game is out there in the off-season working at some level to get better. I just don't see many kids just showing up for tryouts after getting his glove out of the garage the night before and playing varsity baseball. JMO.

We do have a player or two make JV that did not come to workouts. But even our freshmen workout in the off-season. there are just not many surprises that show up at tryouts. Anyone worth his salt has been training in some manner in the off-season.

I watched some of our tryouts from beyond right field last night. I don't think there were many surprises.

9. EastOfRaleigh

EastOfRaleigh Full Access Member

no hoopsters

coach 27, so no varsity baseball players that also play basketball?

is this fairly common now? I think more kids specialize now, maybe?

10. PhillyDave

PhillyDave Senior Member

I'm with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hurray: